Chad Morris named Allen Head Coach

jtm0097

47 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I don't know, was he the coach at Ark when we had the ko return for a touchdown?   Ouch!

His greatest success came as a high school coach.  Probably a good fit and Allen probably utilizes the same recruiting tactics as smu.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

So when will they open more high schools in Allen.? Neighboring Frisco has opened  a new 5A school every year. For the past 10 years.I can never respect Allen with their desire to put sports ahead of the general student population. In fact they underform compared to other schools of smaller size. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Cooley said:

So when will they open more high schools in Allen.? Neighboring Frisco has opened  a new 5A school every year. For the past 10 years.I can never respect Allen with their desire to put sports ahead of the general student population. In fact they underform compared to other schools of smaller size. 

Not all kids in Allen go to Allen High School.  Where I live in Allen, kids go to Lovejoy High School, though we are in the vast minority as far as Allen is concerned.  Your point still holds true.  Just offering up that small detail.  I believe there is a portion of Allen that goes to Frisco schools as well, but not positive.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Frisco cares about the kids.  Allen wants championships and doesn't seem to care too much about the majority of their kids.  

Right, football is the reason they have only one high school in the district.  🧐 (I used to hear this in Plano too, growing up in the 70’s.)

It’s a different model.  I don’t live in Allen ISD and I’m not defending them per se, but I do see how nice their facilities for the students are and doubt the district could afford to do the same spread across 4 or more campuses.  I wonder if the Allen students have an easier transition into larger universities like UNT.  I don’t have the stats, but I wonder if the class sizes are materially larger at Allen or if they just have more teachers and classes.  Seems like if you had the same number of teachers, classes, etc. on one campus rather than multiple campuses, it would be more cost effective, aside from maybe additional bussing.  

Of the many parents I know that have kids going to Allen high school, I see a lot of pride.  I don’t recall any of them complaining that the school district doesn’t seem to care too much about their kids.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I seem to recall Allen is so huge that they can also offer all kinds of niche classes that many students wouldn’t have a chance to take at other schools.   It is definitely helpful for college prep, and obviously highly competitive for extracurricular activities...  terrible for community/relationships/high-school-kids-feeling-seen.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Right, football is the reason they have only one high school in the district.  🧐 (I used to hear this in Plano too, growing up in the 70’s.)

It’s a different model.  I don’t live in Allen ISD and I’m not defending them per se, but I do see how nice their facilities for the students are and doubt the district could afford to do the same spread across 4 or more campuses.  I wonder if the Allen students have an easier transition into larger universities like UNT.  I don’t have the stats, but I wonder if the class sizes are materially larger at Allen or if they just have more teachers and classes.  Seems like if you had the same number of teachers, classes, etc. on one campus rather than multiple campuses, it would be more cost effective, aside from maybe additional bussing.  

Of the many parents I know that have kids going to Allen high school, I see a lot of pride.  I don’t recall any of them complaining that the school district doesn’t seem to care too much about their kids.  

You miss my point, I said nothing about the education they are receiving.

One high school, one football team.  So it seems obvious to me that a lot of students are not getting the opportunity to play varsity sports.   

I am sure one high school is more cost effective from a construction standpoint, but that would have nothing to do with the number of teachers and staff.  Also most big city teams share football stadiums.

Allen last count had almost 7k students.  The 5A classification begins at 1230.  So Allen has almost 6 times the minimum students for Texas's largest classification.   Good for winning, but stated another way; athletes at Allen have less than a 20% chance of playing compared to the bottom tier by population schools. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You miss my point, I said nothing about the education they are receiving.

One high school, one football team.  So it seems obvious to me that a lot of students are not getting the opportunity to play varsity sports.   

I am sure one high school is more cost effective from a construction standpoint, but that would have nothing to do with the number of teachers and staff.  Also most big city teams share football stadiums.

Allen last count had almost 7k students.  The 5A classification begins at 1230.  So Allen has almost 6 times the minimum students for Texas's largest classification.   Good for winning, but stated another way; athletes at Allen have less than a 20% chance of playing compared to the bottom tier by population schools. 

6A is the largest classification and the minimum is 2,220.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:31 AM, GrandGreen said:

Frisco cares about the kids.  Allen wants championships and doesn't seem to care too much about the majority of their kids.  

I’m an outsider to Allen ISD, but they have a great reputation and are a desired school district. They made a choice that not many other districts have made, and that is to keep just the one high school despite massive size. If the residents disagreed with that decision they either would have 1) moved away, and maybe some have or 2) elected a school board with a different vision. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I’m an outsider to Allen ISD, but they have a great reputation and are a desired school district. They made a choice that not many other districts have made, and that is to keep just the one high school despite massive size. If the residents disagreed with that decision they either would have 1) moved away, and maybe some have or 2) elected a school board with a different vision. 

Yes, and I and many others conclude that it was made to create a football power and not for any academic reasons. 

Never said that the majority of the residents don't approve.   A very low percentage actually have children that are eligible for high school sports.  Many more like championships. 

• Haha 1