KU football lands a QB transfer from C-USA school. He could start Game 1 for Jayhawks

meangreen11

The Kansas football team might’ve landed a new starting quarterback on Friday, as North Texas’ Jason Bean announced he would be transferring to join the Jayhawks.

Bean, a 6-foot-3 redshirt sophomore originally from Mansfield, Texas, started seven games for the Mean Green a season ago, completing 79 of 145 passes for 1,131 yards with 14 touchdowns and five interceptions.

He’s also known for his speed. Bean, who finished third in his class in the 100-meter dash state championships as a high school senior in Texas, had 56 rushes for 346 yards last season. That included a 10-carry, 169-yard effort in North Texas’ 52-35 victory at Middle Tennessee.

read more:  https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article250236295.html

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Possibly starting game 1?  

151A0FE2-1BBC-4D44-9022-707F4928CB72.jpeg

I’m kind of confused by your stance on Bean. In one thread you’re reiterating your statement from last season that we didn’t have the QB who could lead us on the roster last season (including Bean), and here you’re basically saying “I told you so” about him possibly starting at Kansas.

The funny thing is, I feel like you started making those statements about even Bean not being the long-term guy while he was putting together some pretty respectable passing performances together against La Tech and App State.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m kind of confused by your stance on Bean. In one thread you’re reiterating your statement from last season that we didn’t have the QB who could lead us on the roster last season (including Bean), and here you’re basically saying “I told you so” about him possibly starting at Kansas.

The funny thing is, I feel like you started making those statements about even Bean not being the long-term guy while he was putting together some pretty respectable passing performances together against La Tech and App State.

It’s really not that complex.  Neither Bean or Aune was (should be) the long term solution.  Both were flawed and prone to put the ball in the hands of the wrong team.  And both were often playing from behind by midway through the first quarter.  

With that said, the fairy tale being spun by many on this board that Bean was not 1) a quarterback, and not a receiver, and 2) the best option we had last season is preposterous.   Absent an irrational desire to denigrate the kid, a desire that somehow still exists with some even after he has transferred, nobody would look at last season and not ask “if he’s not the better option, why does Littrell keep starting him?  If the older, more mature, guy isn’t a no brainer is he really better?”  I judge our quarterbacks on whether they possess something that others at their position do not...not by how often they do or do not cross their arms or look happy on a sideline.  

That he would land at Kansas and have a chance to compete to be their starter does not shock me.  KU is not some quarterback factory and a serviceable, albeit flawed, quarterback with Bean’s skill set should be in the conversation.  I have no interest in saying “I told you so.”  I am confident that our season, and KU’s, will speak for themselves.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

With that said, the fairy tale being spun by many on this board that Bean was not 1) a quarterback, and not a receiver, and 2) the best option we had last season is preposterous.   Absent an irrational desire to denigrate the kid, a desire that somehow still exists with some even after he has transferred, nobody would look at last season and not ask “if he’s not the better option, why does Littrell keep starting him?  If the older, more mature, guy isn’t a no brainer is he really better?”  I judge our quarterbacks on whether they possess something that others at their position do not...not by how often they do or do not cross their arms or look happy on a sideline.  

Part of being a quarterback is being a leader.  His demeanor and body language on the sidelines when things didn't go his way were not indicative of being a leader, being mature, nor of taking coaching/criticism very well.  Bean's skillset is intriguing and his athletic ability is off the chart, but it was a concern of mine that after he committed he ended up not even starting his senior year in high school.  I wanted Bean to succeed because his speed/running ability added a dimension that defenses had to take into consideration, and I would assume that is what you are referencing in your last sentence.  If that is your stance, would you have started him over Fine based on him possessing something the other didn't?

I wish the young man the best and hope he is happy and finds a home at Kansas.  He is a Jayhawk now, so I am not really concerned about what he does moving forward.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Part of being a quarterback is being a leader.  His demeanor and body language on the sidelines when things didn't go his way were not indicative of being a leader, being mature, nor of taking coaching/criticism very well.  Bean's skillset is intriguing and his athletic ability is off the chart, but it was a concern of mine that after he committed he ended up not even starting his senior year in high school.  I wanted Bean to succeed because his speed/running ability added a dimension that defenses had to take into consideration, and I would assume that is what you are referencing in your last sentence.  If that is your stance, would you have started him over Fine based on him possessing something the other didn't?

I wish the young man the best and hope he is happy and finds a home at Kansas.  His is a Jayhawk now, so I am not really concerned about what he does moving forward.

Of course I wouldn’t have started him over Fine, but I think you knew the answer to that hypothetical before you even asked it. If you are looking at two quarterbacks, neither of whom is truly going to put you over the hump, then you go with the one who might just bring something to the table that is extra.  As you said, defenses actually have to game plan for something that Bean can do. The game plan against Aune is essentially play defense and wait to win.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

he ended up not even starting his senior year in high school

The story I had heard was there was a head coach and his QB son that were the reason why Bean didn't start his senior year.  

Bean — expected to immediately eligible — should be in line for starting duties while competing with Jalon Daniels, who was KU’s primary signal-caller a season ago. In seven games, Daniels completed 76 of 152 passes for 718 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions.

Yeah, Jason could most definitely be starting Game 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Good for Bean. I could imagine that with another OC, maybe it works out for him. And KU it seems is perpetually looking for that Kid. Also, because KU probably does not have enough other weapons/the right kind of line to compete in the BigXII while sitting back and looking for a target, it just might be very ok with their staff if he runs the ball 15 times a game.

Edited by outoftown

On 3/28/2021 at 8:37 PM, emmitt01 said:

Of course I wouldn’t have started him over Fine, but I think you knew the answer to that hypothetical before you even asked it. If you are looking at two quarterbacks, neither of whom is truly going to put you over the hump, then you go with the one who might just bring something to the table that is extra.  As you said, defenses actually have to game plan for something that Bean can do. The game plan against Aune is essentially play defense and wait to win.

You better hurry and get your Kansas football season tickets! Bean for Heisman!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

One important fact left out in the story, Bean is a walk on and KU has no head football coach!

How do you know he is a walk on?

Tuition at Kansas for an out of state student is over $28k.  I somehow doubt he is going to walk on.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

Hes not transferring until this summer. I read this on a KU site.

The Jayhawks will have yet another QB in the mix later in the year, with former North Texas starter Jason Bean set to transfer in this summer. Jones said he couldn’t yet comment on Bean, and that he and KU’s other offensive coaches are focused on the QBs who are on campus this semester, and preparing them to be ready to play in the fall.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

How do you know he is a walk on?

Tuition at Kansas for an out of state student is over $28k.  I somehow doubt he is going to walk on.  

They can waive that type of stuff for football players.  Also a strange implication that his parents could not afford to help their son go to school to pursue his dreams for that cost.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Also a strange implication that his parents could not afford to help their son go to school to pursue his dreams for that cost.

Thought of that.  Maybe his family has the money.

I'm not the parent, but if I were I'd have a hard talk with Bean about how much he wants to play QB.  He'd be costing me serious dough.