Good news and bad news

meangreen11

Good news is defense under PB had improved (no duh)

Bad news is we have no QB.  Not saying they aren't all working hard.  Ther eis certainly potential.  Bottom line is Aune does great in practice and struggles when the light goes on. Martin had thebest camp of the QB's.  Will needs to build arm strength and Kentucky dude has a big arm but is a statue.   Quite honestly we may run the ball mostly next year.  NC dude don't show up till Fall so he will not help. 

Most talented QB is AUne.

Best performing QB in Spring 2021 is Martin.

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

41 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Good news is defense under PB had improved (no duh)

Bad news is we have no QB.  Not saying they aren't all working hard.  Ther eis certainly potential.  Bottom line is Aune does great in practice and struggles when the light goes on. Martin had thebest camp of the QB's.  Will needs to build arm strength and Kentucky dude has a big arm but is a statue.   Quite honestly we may run the ball mostly next year.  NC dude don't show up till Fall so he will not help. 

Most talented QB is AUne.

Best performing QB in Spring 2021 is Martin.

I am all knowing.  I know everyone and I tell the god dammed truth no matter what.  Ask me ex wife!  I love North Texas more than my kids.  Ask me anything and I will tell you the truth!

I am not saying that you are wrong because I was not there to see, but Vito and Brune seem to have a different take. Are they just sugarcoating it or are you just being very harsh? If you say you are giving a fair assessment then I have to believe you because I was not there. I am just going by their write ups that things are not as bad as we may have thought.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I am not saying that you are wrong because I was not there to see, but Vito and Brune seem to have a different take. Are they just sugarcoating it or are you just being very harsh? If you say you are giving a fair assessment then I have to believe you because I was not there. I am just going by their write ups that things are not as bad as we may have thought.

Keep in mind Vito & Brune make money off of their access to the team & the information they get.  They can’t be brutal in their writing.

Not saying mr ‘all-knowing’ is right, but something to think about.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Keep in mind Vito & Brune make money off of their access to the team & the information they get.

Vito IMO has proven he is not interested in sugar coating anything.

Didn’t this board a few years ago have some back-and-forth about Brett, many wishing he was more of a cheerleader? He’s almost /too/ dry and matter of fact.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

I said it after last season, and I’ll say it again after watching the Spring scrimmage.  If the best we have at QB is one of the guys we saw last season, this team (even with an improved defense) might just win more games but still be incapable of winning any hardware.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I said it after last season, and I’ll say it again after watching the Spring scrimmage.  If the best we have at QB is one of the guys we saw last season, this team (even with an improved defense) might just win more games but still be incapable of winning any hardware.  

I'd say that's more of an indictment on the head coach. Considering he's 0-fer in ever championship/postseason game he's coached here, even with the greatest QB in program history

Edited by MGNation92
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Kason Martin is the forever “bridesmaid.”  Whenever I’ve asked, SL says he had the best camp and is most improved.  But he never gets on the field, except in a pinch,  and then all he does is produce.  I’d like to see his personality come through snap after snap in a game.   I think he is destined to be a backup to either Anne or possibly Ruder when he gets to Denton.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Vito IMO has proven he is not interested in sugar coating anything.

Didn’t this board a few years ago have some back-and-forth about Brett, many wishing he was more of a cheerleader? He’s almost /too/ dry and matter of fact.

Players get mad at Vito for his comments because they aren't always positive, and I love that because you have to hear the truth

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Ruder will be here for summer camp ball. It will be between Aune and Ruder for the starting role unless Martin catches fire during camp. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Aune and Ruder split the first game of the season since Ruder arrives so late.

This is what I am thinking also.     Ruder is definitely a candidate to start this season, even though he is missing the spring.   It's not like he is an incoming freshman either.   He has been through training camps at NC for 3 years already.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

I attended (partly.....my grandkids were getting bored and overheated ) and I didn't see any bad news....not really. This was the spring game for showing how much the defense  had improved. Toward that end, it was "go after the QB as hard as you can.....which they did.

The QB's 

1 and 1a Aune/Martin. I was impressed with Martin's passing, Aune was good, but at this stage of his career, he shouldn't be overthrowing his receivers....as much. Both were pretty confident, but Aune didn't have to run for his life like Martin did.....or the rest of them for that matter. 

The rest. I was somewhat disappointed in Kuene. But he still has potential and he spent too much time running for his life. Gilmore was out there throwing it just as hard as he could as if this was his one and only chance to make the team. He may have been more impressive after I left, but the comments that I've seen so far indicate that he didn't. 

The RB's not named Adaway or Torrey looked very good. Johnson (#23) showed both speed and power, and Ragsdale (#25) showed good potential as well.  If everyone stays healthy going into the first game, we will  be very deep at RB.

WR. A very impressive group. This is the group of players that make a QB look very good or very ordinary. These guys are collectively going to do a very good job of replacing Darden.  Simpson made some very impressive catches, including a long ball (35+ yards) for a TD whilst wearing the DB. The catch and the throw were both great. Thompson (#6) also made some very impressive catches. But the ones that I kept noticing were #11 and #13, Brown and Lyles.  Both of them were big targets with excellent speed and excellent hands. So that gives us (potentially) three Jyaire Shorters on the team. And finally, the guy that kept getting my attention was #82. I kept saying "who is that guy?" but no one seemed to know. It's the transfer Finn Corwin. He pretty much looked like a replacement for Michael Lawrence. 

The defense......much improved. It was pretty much the Murphy brothers plus Tyreke Davis show. The DL looked pretty solid, but no one did anything really spectacular like the Murphy brothers. The DB's were much more aggressive in their coverage. AND everyone wrapped up when they got their hands on someone.......what a refreshing change.

I think it’s hard to really see how much the defense actually improved . They went against a really bad 2 offensive and oline the whole scrimmage.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

I think it’s hard to really see how much the defense actually improved . They went against a really bad 2 offensive and oline the whole scrimmage.

If the defense can completely shred the backup O, they should do fine with the first team offenses. 
Luckily we aren’t playing teams like A&M with huge tackles and guards.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I’m not a fan of QB by committee, but I think the greatest obstacle keeping hardware out of our trophy case last year was on the other side of the ball.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought that Aune was superb and Martin not that far behind.  His first touchdown throw was a thing of beauty.  I saw one bad overthrow where he was flushed out of the pocket and threw the ball 60 yards on the run; about five yards beyond the receiver.  I saw a couple more slight overthrows that looked like coverage overthrows so that only his receiver had a chance at the ball and not the defender.  Drummond, who threw a pick6, showed more than Gilmore in my opinion.  Gilmore had a tipped interception.  Now if Ruder is better than Aune we're going to have a very good quarterback room.

• Upvote 3