Shaka Smart to Marquette

BillySee58

5 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

This is bad..  IT will hire Beard and Tech will come after Grant I suppose..

This is why sometimes I wish we would make the honest and loyal hire. I honestly God cold never see leaving UNT as a coach. To me UNT is everything and there is no place better. Another school could offer me fame and an extra 2 million a year and I would never leave..... ever. I don’t understand how we cannot find a coach like this and then develop players who want to stay from start to finish. No quit and no eye on the next big prize. Hire loyalty! 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

It's not always all about the money - otherwise Coach K would have left Duke in the early 90's when the NBA first knocked on his door and Mark Few would have left Gonzaga around 2004.  But there has to be a good pile of money you're paying AND some sort of emotional attachment.

40 minutes ago, drex said:

It's just business, bro.  If you worked at IBM for 100,000 a year and Apple offered you 200,000 you would be gone in a minute.

Perhaps, although they are slightly different scenarios becusse I don’t have any ties to either. I my family had a history of working for IBM or I had made it my for 5 years I would not leave. 

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would be surprised if Beard left Tech.

His daughters live in the Lubbock area. He previously coached at McMurray and Angelo State so he is accustomed to West Texas. He is in the top 5 for pay in the NCAA. He has proven that he can make the National Championship game at Tech. His buyout for a Big 12 school is $4 million. He is a UT graduate but that is no guarantee he will leave.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

This is why sometimes I wish we would make the honest and loyal hire. I honestly God cold never see leaving UNT as a coach. To me UNT is everything and there is no place better. Another school could offer me fame and an extra 2 million a year and I would never leave..... ever. I don’t understand how we cannot find a coach like this and then develop players who want to stay from start to finish. No quit and no eye on the next big prize. Hire loyalty! 

I’m not sure what you’re saying, but If it’s about Grant not being loyal, you need to get your head out of your ass quickly.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 3

My guess is Beard will stay at Tech. It’s a better job right now. And he gets paid a ton. Plus, he doesn’t have to deal with the BS of having to deal with the Longhorn Network showing his practices and having him do an interview after each practice.

I think their next coach will be Royal Ivey, the Nets assistant coach who used to Play at UT. I just think that will be there play—hire a young black head coach for these woke times. 

If Beard leaves, though, I think Tech will hire Joe Goolding from ACU, since he is a close friend of Beard and wouldn’t be far from Lubbock at all. It’s kind of the OU deal, as well. If OU does hire from the lower ranks, my guess is they go after Paul Mills from Oral Roberts.

I think GMc stays in Denton...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I dislike the Horns but the truth is they have potentially unlimited resources. Most coaches are going to believe they can succeed at any job. If they go to Texas and win they will get every resource they need. 

A friend posted the below on Facebook today (and it shouldn’t be forgotten that Smart did get Texas to a conference tournament title...and was let go that year)

Unlimited resources or not, I would think coaches might remember this.  

5F2CD179-ADCE-4144-9654-4CE682371135.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

@emmitt01Great point. It's strange how coaches will be successful and move to what should be a "better" situation and then never see the same success. Sometimes you are the right person in the right place and for whatever reason you're not able to recreate the success elsewhere. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

A friend posted the below on Facebook today (and it shouldn’t be forgotten that Smart did get Texas to a conference tournament title...and was let go that year)

Unlimited resources or not, I would think coaches might remember this.  

5F2CD179-ADCE-4144-9654-4CE682371135.jpeg

That place is just toxic right now. Too many influences and too high of expectations. Their media buddies over inflate their recruits and then their coaches have nothing by prima-Donna’s to coach. That stupid LHN doesn’t help them either.

• Upvote 4

On 3/26/2021 at 11:28 AM, Andrew said:

Money talks. GM doesn't have the attachment to UNT like the alum base. I never understand why our fans get so attached to coaches. We bleed kelly green, they bleed money green. 

Most will laugh at your post, but I understand the sentiment. Unless we go the basketball route, we will ALWAYS be a stepping stone to a multi-million dollar contract. 

I love football, I really do. It would take me time to get over it if the University decided to put all her eggs in the basketball basket. I would be somewhat upset about it, but I would understand it. Wichita St, Zags, Evansville, Pepperdine, Nova (a large portion of the Big East really) and several others have thrived and opened up new opportunities for their respective universities. Sports is supposed to be the front porch of a university. Too often our front porch looks like a house in The Bottoms. Commit to basketball (given the multitude of reasons as to why it's far easier to be a national program) and see what it does for the University. Until then, we're one foot in, one foot out; teetering in mediocrity (usually at best) everywhere. 

To those of you that will reply, "we should be great at both". My built in reply to that... Good luck. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

My guess is Beard will stay at Tech. It’s a better job right now. And he gets paid a ton. Plus, he doesn’t have to deal with the BS of having to deal with the Longhorn Network showing his practices and having him do an interview after each practice.

I think their next coach will be Royal Ivey, the Nets assistant coach who used to Play at UT. I just think that will be there play—hire a young black head coach for these woke times. 

If Beard leaves, though, I think Tech will hire Joe Goolding from ACU, since he is a close friend of Beard and wouldn’t be far from Lubbock at all. It’s kind of the OU deal, as well. If OU does hire from the lower ranks, my guess is they go after Paul Mills from Oral Roberts.

I think GMc stays in Denton...

^^^^
this guy is 100% accurate as usual

• Upvote 3