DRC: UNT guards enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

18 years ago, Gonzaga was fresh off 6 NCAA berths in 8 years, including 8 tournament wins, an Elite Eight appearance, and multiple Sweet 16s. 

Gonzaga made their name in 1999, when they were a 10 seed and barely lost an Elite Eight game to eventual national champion, UConn. Their coach, Dan Monson, got hired away by Minnesota, where he did nothing. Gonzaga promoted his top assistant, a guy no one heard of by the name of Mark Few. The continuity the program stuck with grew into the behemoth they are today, basically the much cleaner version of UNLV from the 80s/90s. 

I do think Gonzaga benefits greatly from being a small private school that has no football to pull resources from and sits in a decent sized. Similarly, we are seeing Loyola of Chicago doing the same thing in the MVC. These smaller schools have nothing else to conflict with hoops. It’s all they have...

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Gonzaga made their name in 1999, when they were a 10 seed and barely lost an Elite Eight game to eventual national champion, UConn. Their coach, Dan Monson, got hired away by Minnesota, where he did nothing. Gonzaga promoted his top assistant, a guy no one heard of by the name of Mark Few. The continuity the program stuck with grew into the behemoth they are today, basically the much cleaner version of UNLV from the 80s/90s. 

I do think Gonzaga benefits greatly from being a small private school that has no football to pull resources from and sits in a decent sized. Similarly, we are seeing Loyola of Chicago doing the same thing in the MVC. These smaller schools have nothing else to conflict with hoops. It’s all they have...

The point is that it was longer ago than 18 years ago.  I think most people remember that Elite 8 run in 1999.  It was before George Mason, VCU, Butler, or Loyola Chicago made Final Four runs from similar leagues.  Few people thought it was even possible for a school like that to make that kind of run anymore.  Once UNLV fell off after Tarkanian left, it seemed that era was gone.

5 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

18 years ago, Gonzaga was fresh off 6 NCAA berths in 8 years, including 8 tournament wins, an Elite Eight appearance, and multiple Sweet 16s. 

I called out Plum on a tweet that never happened, and the next time I visited the board the entire thread had been deleted (or archived out of public view).

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

The point is that it was longer ago than 18 years ago.  I think most people remember that Elite 8 run in 1999.  It was before George Mason, VCU, Butler, or Loyola Chicago made Final Four runs from similar leagues.  Few people thought it was even possible for a school like that to make that kind of run anymore.  Once UNLV fell off after Tarkanian left, it seemed that era was gone.

Agreed

• Upvote 1

•  
  • Moderators
  • group-moderator.png.15858996113af5b81171
  • 10,255 posts
  On 3/24/2021 at 11:22 PM, GrandGreen said:

They think that NT has gone as far as it ever will in basketball

Here’s a perspective I’d like to touch on. Does James Reese, or any future departing senior leaving, think NT has gone as far as it ever will in basketball?

I would think he understands that 32 teams didn't get a win in the 2021 NCAA BB tournament this year. I would think he would want to be given praise (i.e. as he said after getting off the bus at UNT) for our success in BB this year. Additionally he was a big part of our success. So, I'm feeling there is something we do not know about this matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, Mo Green said:
  •  
  • Moderators
  • 10,255 posts

Here’s a perspective I’d like to touch on. Does James Reese, or any future departing senior leaving, think NT has gone as far as it ever will in basketball?

I would think he understands that 32 teams didn't get a win in the 2021 NCAA BB tournament this year. I would think he would want to be given praise (i.e. as he said after getting off the bus at UNT) for our success in BB this year. Additionally he was a big part of our success. So, I'm feeling there is something we do not know about this matter.

My guess is Hamlet is going pro and he didn’t want to play without him since they came together. That or Mac has hinted he is potently leaving and would probably only take the freshman with him to his new school through the transfer portal. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

My guess is Reese is leaving to be closer to home because of his Mother. When your Mom is hospitalized with something many considered a death sentence when it first came out, it makes you reevaluate some things. We now know that COVID-19 is not as deadly as we thought, but it still scares you to realize you were half the country away at a time you probably wanted to be home. Then thinking had she made a turn for the worse, even a flight could have taken hours depending on what airport you are flying into. It also makes you think about how much time you are missing with her being so far away. Anyone who has lost a parent can tell you that you think about all the time you wish you would have spent with them once their gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, Mo Green said:
  •  
  • Moderators
  • 10,255 posts

They think that NT has gone as far as it ever in basketball was on a list of ideas why generic basketball player might want to transfer,   Didn't mention Reese or anyone else.  

Edited by GrandGreen

48 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So you don’t believe Hamlet is going to the next level? You believe he is coming back? Where did you hear this? 

Did you read what I highlighted as your quote?  It wasn't about Hamlet, it was regarding your comment about McCasland.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Did you read what I highlighted as your quote?  It wasn't about Hamlet, it was regarding your comment about McCasland.

Then you didn’t read my comment because I clearly stated the most likely reason was Hamlet leaving and then mentioned another possibility that shouldn’t be left off the table (though far more unlikely). 

• Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Then you didn’t read my comment because I clearly stated the most likely reason was Hamlet leaving and then mentioned another possibility that shouldn’t be left off the table (though far more unlikely). 

Ya but time and time again you put out the most ridiculous of scenarios. 

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Where did I ever state I thought Hamlet was coming back?

Because my first statement was the main reason I believed Reese was leaving. You bypassed my original statement to hook into a second reason which I’m assuming isn’t true but is a “could be” situation. 

Lots of speculation and rumors out there. I hate a senior decided to transfer instead of leaving to go pro. It’s suspicious so I am hoping it’s because Hamlet is going pro. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Because my first statement was the main reason I believed Reese was leaving. You bypassed my original statement to hook into a second reason which I’m assuming isn’t true but is a “could be” situation. 

Lots of speculation and rumors out there. I hate a senior decided to transfer instead of leaving to go pro. It’s suspicious so I am hoping it’s because Hamlet is going pro. 

Just don’t be surprised if he winds up at a school like SC, NCSt, Clemson, GATech, Davidson, etc...

Hes been all over the map playing ball.  Maybe it’s time to go home.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I agreed with the statement that Hamlet wasn't coming back.  That is why I "bypassed" your original statement.  I apologize that this seems to be a difficult concept to grasp.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agreed with the statement that Hamlet wasn't coming back.  That is why I "bypassed" your original statement.  I apologize that this seems to be a difficult concept to grasp.

And why is it that you’re saying Wren Baker is leaving? What will (won’t) you say next?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...