DRC: UNT guards enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Where did Mac make the comment that UNT is not a basketball school?  And why did he make it?  What does it take to become a “basketball school”?  A new colosseum?  More money for recruiting, lack of offices?

He made it in his interview with Shan and RJ on the 105.3 The Fan morning show. Contextually, seemed like more of a passing statement about the school’s standing among the current college sports landscape iyam.

https://www.radio.com/podcasts/shan-and-rj-734/north-texas-head-coach-grant-mccasland-359983853

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

If they want to still play college basketball I wish they wanted to play here.  I’m sorry to hear this.  

It is obviously their decision, and there are many reasons that they want to go elsewhere:

Some might try some type of pro ball.

Some just want a change of scenery

Whether anyone acknowledge it or not, some college basketball players make good money

Family situations

They think that NT has gone as far as it ever will in basketball

Some actually may chose to close their competitive basketball careers

If it was not this crazy virus year, no one would be having this conversation.   

The problem with the open transfer rule is that it favors the name schools and puts the less prominent leagues at a big disadvantage. 

Do you not think that Villanova or Purdue would not love to have Hamlet on their team?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

They think that NT has gone as far as it ever will in basketball

Here’s a perspective I’d like to touch on. Does James Reese, or any future departing senior leaving, think NT has gone as far as it ever will in basketball?

I don’t think so but I do think it’s fair to imagine they don’t think there is much of a clear path to replicate the success next year. Especially if they have knowledge that Hamlet is gone, which seems likely.

In other words, maybe they don’t think this is as far as NT will ever go, but they may think it is as far as NT will ever go while they still have eligibility.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I seriously doubt anyone leaves thinking that UNT peaked. They all leave for the betterment of their own situation. It is their right and God speed. Look at how many blue chippers are leaving ‘basketball schools’.  It’s happening everywhere and it’s not great for the health of the sport. People hardly know any players on teams anymore, and it’s having a direct effect on ratings and attendance. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

FML

My secret fear, that I didn’t want to speak into existence, is that the back-to-back CUSA titles and NCAA tourney win made AD’s look at Mac and say “if he can do it there, he can definitely do it here.”  If so, I’m afraid he may have already let players know as a courtesy.

People made light of it, but there is no other reason to note that we are not a “basketball school” during an interview celebrating this team unless that is a serious concern for him.   

As fans, we should pony up (pardon the expression) and buy season tickets en mass for next season. Hopefully Mac will feel the love and stay.

4 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Look at how many blue chippers are leaving ‘basketball schools’.  It’s happening everywhere and it’s not great for the health of the sport. People hardly know any players on teams anymore, and it’s having a direct effect on ratings and attendance. 

Amen, edcollopy.👍👍

Still curious what Einstein over at the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis came up with this portal idea? 
 I’m pretty sure their thinking could have never been:  “Let’s see what we can do to help all the G-5 basketball schools (since they don’t get a significant plug nickel of NCAA FBS TV revenue).”

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Reese previously played at Buffalo and won a tournament game there. I think they said that was a first for a player. If he transfers and wins a tournament game he probably will be the record holder ad infinitum. 

HIs business card could read "Have Ball Will Travel".      

• Haha 1

Wasn't the transfer portal thing really started because of all the coaches that would leave season to season?  Also that coaches could just not renew someone's scholarships, leaving them out to dry?  I thought the idea was that if coaches can leave for whatever reason, then players should too.

I think the commitments should have been stronger both ways.  If a kid doesn't pan out, you can't just revoke his scholarship.  Allow kids to transfer anywhere with no penalty if the coach they signed with was fired or left for a new gig.  Otherwise go back to the old rules.

• Upvote 1

Jackson is like Gregg White-Pittman (Louisiana High School 5A POY). A star in High School whose skillset did not translate into success here. I liked Gregg's work ethic and Jacksons as well. I think he can start somewhere else.

https://www.nola.com/sports/high_schools/article_e40cb3bf-f1e5-5c62-9220-14e7a6cc6ddf.html

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Shark 64 said:

Jackson will have to sit out a year since he is an underclassmen not a grad transfer, correct? I guess he could drop down and go Div. 2 or NAIA and play right away. 

NCAA changed their rules in December to allow players a one-time sit-out free transfer from D1 to D1, or FBS to FBS in football. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

As fans, we should pony up (pardon the expression) and buy season tickets en mass for next season. Hopefully Mac will feel the love and stay.

Precisely my original point.  We can't continue to say to the athletic department "do better!" and deny them the resources (ticket sales and MGSF donations) to do so. 

• Upvote 2

It’s been a few years now, but I had it on good authority that Mac was looking to move up fast.  He was taking his assistants with him, too.  See the ASU move.  What I don’t know is if money was his thing or P5/blue blood bball school.  Either way, if money could be a factor it’ll be across the board.  We have to bump up pay for everyone of his assistants, not just him.

Now, before everyone gets butt hurt, isn’t this what we said we wanted?  We want hungry coaches on the rise, not decline.  We just need to keep finding those guys and bringing them here and we’ll be fine.  Not another Benford.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

40 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

most schools with really good basketball programs have talent in their rotation and in their pipeline from recruiting to graduation.  So I dont see a top 25 school in need of a senior transfer, and anyone that would be that good can probably turn pro. 

Didn't one of our players recently transfer to Gonzaga ( I think they qualify as top 25) as a Senior? During severa of the tournament games they had mentioned upperclassmen from non-power schools playing for several of the power conference teams. Many coaches will take a shot at getting experience on their teams.

28 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

It’s been a few years now, but I had it on good authority that Mac was looking to move up fast.  He was taking his assistants with him, too.  See the ASU move.  What I don’t know is if money was his thing or P5/blue blood bball school.  Either way, if money could be a factor it’ll be across the board.  We have to bump up pay for everyone of his assistants, not just him.

Now, before everyone gets butt hurt, isn’t this what we said we wanted?  We want hungry coaches on the rise, not decline.  We just need to keep finding those guys and bringing them here and we’ll be fine.  Not another Benford.

He left ASU to be closer to his parents and family. His father has had some heart issues and they are very close. Enjoyed sitting next to them at a game. Hope we can keep Mc. Would like to see how he recruits this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

If those type of schools offer, there is likely no raise we could offer that would make a difference there. Raises aren’t enough to put us in the same ballpark of pay.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Didn't one of our players recently transfer to Gonzaga ( I think they qualify as top 25) as a Senior? During severa of the tournament games they had mentioned upperclassmen from non-power schools playing for several of the power conference teams. Many coaches will take a shot at getting experience on their teams.

Yeah top 25 teams get grad transfers all the time.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

No reason to panic.

We have a amazing class coming in, and from what I’ve been told, there’s more coming (meaning transfers). Person was correct about the high school addition (Aaron Scott) so I’m pretty certain. Least surprised about Jalen, and Reese was to get more attention. Gonna miss him, but it’s time to move on with life and get transfers.

McCasland has proven that he can make guys into stars, and he will continue to. Championships are still within reach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

“Not a basketball school?”  Well, we haven’t been,  but neither was Gonzaga 18 years ago.  

18 years ago, Gonzaga was fresh off 6 NCAA berths in 8 years, including 8 tournament wins, an Elite Eight appearance, and multiple Sweet 16s.