DRC: UNT guards enter transfer portal

Brett Vito

FML

My secret fear, that I didn’t want to speak into existence, is that the back-to-back CUSA titles and NCAA tourney win made AD’s look at Mac and say “if he can do it there, he can definitely do it here.”  If so, I’m afraid he may have already let players know as a courtesy.

People made light of it, but there is no other reason to note that we are not a “basketball school” during an interview celebrating this team unless that is a serious concern for him.   

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

My first reaction to all this is disgust.   But,  I feel like the football team eventually gained more than they lost in the transfer portal.  So, maybe the same will be true for basketball.

Going to really miss Reese.

Grant is a great coach.   I would think a lot of players would love to play for him.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

Hate to lose Reese, but good luck to him.

Jackson played very hard and was a big time recruit, but never has developed an offensive game in college.  Hope he lands somewhere he can contribute.  

3 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Hamlet and Simmons going pro? Reese transferring to top 25 team? Jackson transferring for playing time? What is Bell doing?

This will be Reuben Jones’s team?

Reese transferring to a top 25 team, that is highly unlikely.

Hamlet may transfer up, or turn pro somewhere. 

Hopefully Jones has a great next year, but it won't be his team.   Expect Mc to bring in some great transfers.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

FML

My secret fear, that I didn’t want to speak into existence, is that the back-to-back CUSA titles and NCAA tourney win made AD’s look at Mac and say “if he can do it there, he can definitely do it here.”  If so, I’m afraid he may have already let players know as a courtesy.

People made light of it, but there is no other reason to note that we are not a “basketball school” during an interview celebrating this team unless that is a serious concern for him.   

If Jones puts his name in then I’ll be worried.

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Hate to lose Reese, but good luck to him.

Jackson played very hard and was a big time recruit, but never has developed an offensive game in college.  Hope he lands somewhere he can contribute.  

Reese transferring to a top 25 team, that is highly unlikely.

Hamlet may transfer up, or turn pro somewhere. 

Hopefully Jones has a great next year, but it won't be his team.   Expect Mc to bring in some great transfers.

Our last two starting guards have transferred to top 25 teams. I think Reese is better than Gibson.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

FML

I feel like Hamlet is more likely the beginning domino in this situation. Reese and Hamlet came here as a package deal. Hamlet said so in an interview with Brune, that he and Reese had been talking before their recruiting picked up that they were going to go to the same D1 school together so they could team up again, then that ended up being here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Our last two starting guards have transferred to top 25 teams. I think Reese is better than Gibson.

Reese does not have the numbers Gibson had, plus OU got a good look at Gibson when he went off against them the year before he transferred there. 

I hate for NT to lose Reese, he is an underrated player; but I really doubt a ranked team is going to be impressed by 11pts and 4rbs averages.  Reese will get opportunities with good teams, but not sure any team better than NT.   

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

3 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Reese is from South Carolina and his mother was hospitalized with covid at some point in the last year I heard coach Mac say. If he wants to be closer to home or at a high major program so be it, he helped us win two conference championships, win a tourney game and likely has his degree. No one should slander the guy.

Yup. Mccasland said she was hospitalized during senior day.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Reese does not have the numbers Gibson had, plus OU got a good look at Gibson when he went off against them the year before he transferred there. 

I hate for NT to lose Reese, he is an underrated player; but I really doubt a ranked team is going to be impressed by 11pts and 4rbs averages.  Reese will get opportunities with good teams, but not sure any team better than NT.   

I loved Reese 10x more than Mo.  Just my IMO.  Mo was a bigger scoring threat, but Reese's contribution was so much more than scoreboard points.  much more.  Just my IMO.

Plus, never did I ever hold my breathe when watching Reese dribble.  Couldn't say the same about Mo.

My 0.02.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Mc agreed earlier in the season to a contract extension. To those of you saying he might leave, I would point to that. UNT has shown they can pay when they want to i.e. Littrell. Let the dust settle and I bet Wren and Co will find the money to keep Mc happy. 

https://dentonrc.com/rsssports/regents-approve-extension-for-grant-mccasland/article_d2ad387b-884c-54b8-8773-b3b252cbe3d1.html

The silver lining here would be even if we do lose him (which I would hate to), at least we would have sufficient funds to go after someone with skins on the wall.

Edited by MattDamon23
found the article
  • Upvote 2

Over 830 in the portal as we speak, and growing. Some of our guys, in my opinion, are a dime a dozen. I certainly expect more defections. We knew, prior to the season, that at least 5 were leaving. It’s just a great opportunity to improve the product. 

I’ve finally joined the McCasland bandwagon. But, his style of play, albeit, winning ball, may keep the blue chippers away. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Give an NCAA bureaucrat a rope with slack & they’ll come up with ideas such as the portal.   Sure the portal helps a chosen few, but it also destroys a basic life lesson or tenet such as gifted kids being loyal to the original school who signs them.  
I hated this portal idea from the git-go because IMO it will take from the have-nots & give to the haves short &  long term.
 Someone feel free to change my mind about this.☹️

❇️🦅❇️ GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

1.  I would be shocked if McCasland goes elsewhere.  Yes, he did mention that we are not a basketball school, but he also said he loved the people that he works for and with, and that they make this a special place.  Regarding the "not a basketball school" comment.  That can change easily with a run of success.  The facilities have improved, there have been improvements made to the Super Pit and there are plans for a new arena.  With a continued run of success, investors/donors can be rounded up in a hurry to jump on the bandwagon of a successful program in a high profile market.  The size of our student body, the size of our local alumni base and the attention this program has gathered in the last week is the perfect recipe to build and promote the heck out of this program.  We could become a basketball school real quick.

2.  Man, I hate to see Reese go.  I am a huge fan of his game and held out hope that he and Bell would return to build a starting five of Jones, McBride, Reese, Bell and Ousame.  But, I understand with his Mom's illness and being far away from home.  On top of that, he would be gone anyway under normal circumstances.

3.  I like the potential of the Jones, McBride and Ousame trio along with Robinson's upside and the incoming youngsters.  If Lewis rediscovers his game then we have a core to build around.  I am still curious about Wise as he is still listed on the roster and hasn't shown up in the portal.

Let's Build This Thing.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  I would be shocked if McCasland goes elsewhere.  Yes, he did mention that we are not a basketball school, but he also said he loved the people that he works for and with, and that they make this a special place.  Regarding the "not a basketball school" comment.  That can change easily with a run of success.  The facilities have improved, there have been improvements made to the Super Pit and there are plans for a new arena.  With a continued run of success, investors/donors can be rounded up in a hurry to jump on the bandwagon of a successful program in a high profile market.  The size of our student body, the size of our local alumni base and the attention this program has gathered in the last week is the perfect recipe to build and promote the heck out of this program.  We could become a basketball school real quick.

2.  Man, I hate to see Reese go.  I am a huge fan of his game and held out hope that he and Bell would return to build a starting five of Jones, McBride, Reese, Bell and Ousame.  But, I understand with his Mom's illness and being far away from home.  On top of that, he would be gone anyway under normal circumstances.

3.  I like the potential of the Jones, McBride and Ousame trio along with Robinson's upside and the incoming youngsters.  If Lewis rediscovers his game then we have a core to build around.  I am still curious about Wise as he is still listed on the roster and hasn't shown up in the portal.

Let's Build This Thing.

I know a guy

bob the builder GIF

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Let's Build This Thing.

An alum gave me some reasons & important variables as to why Coach Mac will stay & family has much to do with it.   

“Not a basketball school?”  Well, we haven’t been,  but neither was Gonzaga 18 years ago.  That can all change so fast in our microwave “cook it right now” society.

I think most of us are blown away as to what even one win at the Big Dance did for the Mean Green Nation.  I even ran into a recent transplanted New Yorker who saw my Mean Green gear at a local store who had a “your school did good” comment.  
•••Question: Wonder how TV ratings were for both our games?
•••Non-basketball:  Did anyone listen to Ex Mean Green football star & NT Athletic HOF’er John Lott on KTCK’s Bad Radio today?  He’s been strength coach with San Diego Chargers of late.  
The radio guys spent almost 30 minutes with JL.  It was a great interview & the NCAA Purdue win made him a very, very proud UNT alum.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1