DRC: McCasland cashes in with postseason run, reaches incentive clauses worth $50,000

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, MDH said:

I'd be in for a contract modification to give A LOT more than that. NCAA tourney appearances and wins are worth much more than lower football bowl wins.

This may sound like blasphemy, but if we could become a true “basketball school” (top 2 perennially in CUSA, NCAA tourney at least every 3 years, couple Sweet 16 games) I’d gladly switch the monetary focus of our athletic program and de-emphasize football

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

This may sound like blasphemy, but if we could become a true “basketball school” (top 2 perennially in CUSA, NCAA tourney at least every 3 years, couple Sweet 16 games) I’d gladly switch the monetary focus of our athletic program and de-emphasize football

That what UTA and a lot of other schools have thought.

NCAA tournament hype is getting to all of us.  Football drives the wagon in Texas.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Cute comment, but I doubt you want NT to be one of about 200 schools that play D! basketball but not football.

If NT quit football, that would not make basketball any better. 

Many of us were upset at losing football games last year, I don't think many including you would be happy dropping to FCS level or just dropping the sport.  

I see no reason, NT can't field good teams in all sports.  Not at a national level, but certainly at a top tier of the conference. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, meangreen10 said:

I forget what donor it is (a basketball one) but they said recently that UNT has better potential for basketball greatness and put his money on that line. Honestly, that seems like the truth.

The nature of the sport (shorter rosters, 5 players on the "field") + the postseason model allows for many more programs to have much more success compared to football.  In football, the postseason heavily favors a small few, and the massive roster and budget needs give a tremendous edge to those with more money and brand recognition.  And those same few who keep cycling through the postseason, in turn, get their brand and budgets amplified even more.  It's a vicious cycle that has suffocated out the potential successes of all of G5 plus like half of P5.

IMO, our achievements in basketball aren't really due to having more potential.  It's just a cocktail of logistics that allow many more schools to break through...much more frequently.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, TCC Mean Green said:

Maybe with this excitement, we can act get a basketball arena with suites that will help pay the cost.  Renting a facility from the university...who does that?  GMG!

Not that old refrain.   The same people will make the decisions on what is done with the SP no matter were the technical ownership lies.   The AD reports to the President and the BOR, and does not do anything significant without their backing.