'22 S Offer: Ahmaad Moses; Mansfield Summit; 3 star - .8366

UNTLifer

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Has added from Memphis, Ark. St., CO St. and SDSU.

Don't get me wrong, I love hard hitting safeties roaming the field, but from the looks of our roster and our current predicament in the defensive backfield, shouldn't we be focusing on corners instead of safeties?

Edited by UNTLifer

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Has added from Memphis, Ark. St., CO St. and SDSU.

Don't get me wrong, I love hard hitting safeties roaming the field, but from the looks of our roster and our current predicament in the defensive backfield, shouldn't we be focusing on corners instead of safeties?

Need to get the best players we can find at every position.  Mr. Moses certainly fits the bill.
Safety is going to be a little thin, especially after Makyle Sanders graduates after this season.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Safety is going to be a little thin, especially after Makyle Sanders graduates after this season.

IF everyone returns, we have the following listed at safety:

Gaddie, D Williams, C Williams, Crosby, West, Johnson and Nichols.  Gaddie and Crosby will be juniors and the remainder will either be Sophs or RS Fresh.

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

IF everyone returns, we have the following listed at safety:

Gaddie, D Williams, C Williams, Crosby, West, Johnson and Nichols.  Gaddie and Crosby will be juniors and the remainder will either be Sophs or RS Fresh.

D Williams is playing corner.  And are you going to just bank on those other guys all hitting and just not take a safety in this class at all?   If Moses is a good player, and wants to come here... bring him in!

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree with bringing in good players, but I also think we need to be cognizant of our needs.  I long for the day when we will have corners like Kim Phillips, Don McGee, Walter Priestly, etc...  Our recruiting has been much better lately, but we find ourselves moving WR's to DB because of depth issues.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't disagree with bringing in good players, but I also think we need to be cognizant of our needs.  I long for the day when we will have corners like Kim Phillips, Don McGee, Walter Priestly, etc...  Our recruiting has been much better lately, but we find ourselves moving WR's to DB because of depth issues.

No doubt.  I kinda hope we hit JUCO CBs hard because the transfer portal CBs just are not working for us... we've tried a bunch of them, and none of them can get on the field except for Nick Harvey, and he wasn't very good.   Let's hope there's another Kemon Hall at a JUCO out there waiting to join us!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

What are our needs for this high school recruiting class, exactly? 

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

What are our needs for this high school recruiting class, exactly? 

That's a good question.  First, I would remove the term "high school" from the question.

My immediate/knee jerk thought is how many spots do we have available? 

I would like to see a couple of "shut down" corners, a QB, couple of WR's with speed, LB's and a continued focus on our lines.  If our depth issues at CB result in moving WR's back and forth, then corner has to be a priority.

Keep in mind, these are observations from afar and without knowledge of who all is returning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

That's a good question.  First, I would remove the term "high school" from the question.

My immediate/knee jerk thought is how many spots do we have available? 

I would like to see a couple of "shut down" corners, a QB, couple of WR's with speed, LB's and a continued focus on our lines.  If our depth issues at CB result in moving WR's back and forth, then corner has to be a priority.

Keep in mind, these are observations from afar and without knowledge of who all is returning. 

So your contention is more that we should be focusing on transfer portal/JUCO types to fill our spots, not that you would prefer recruiting a different position with our high school recruits, is what I’m gathering. I think there will spots for both.

Especially if the NCAA moves forward with the proposed rule to allow up to 7 spots added to the standard 25 spots for a class if up to 7 players transfer out (so up to potentially 32 total spots in the class).

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

So your contention is more that we should be focusing on transfer portal/JUCO types to fill our spots, not that you would prefer recruiting a different position with our high school recruits, is what I’m gathering. I think there will spots for both.

Especially if the NCAA moves forward with the proposed rule to allow up to 7 spots added to the standard 25 spots for a class if up to 7 players transfer out (so up to potentially 32 total spots in the class).

complicated_1525436323271_41634632_ver1.

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

No.  I am not asking us to focus on one area more than the other.  I just want the positions I listed recruited.  Where they come from doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

No.  I am not asking us to focus on one area more than the other.  I just want the positions I listed recruited.  Where they come from doesn't matter.

In your original post you said “shouldn’t we be focusing on corners instead of safeties?” My point is I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. We can get both.

Also, would you rather have a HS signee who we identify as a likely 3-year starting safety or a transfer portal corner who couldn’t crack a P5 rotation? Dealing in realistic scenarios, you don’t want to say no to a top HS talent just because you are holding out hope on getting two “shutdown” corners through the transfer portal. Because if they’re shutdown corners they’re probably already at a P5 and not transferring, or are looking to move up to a P5.

We get John Davis and Jordan Rucker types through the portal (P5 backups who couldn’t crack the rotation), or Ridge Texada and Sean-Thomas Faulkner types (FCS starters). Hopefully we continue to improve on the caliber of guys we sign through the portal, but we’re just not in a position to be turning down multi-year starter type high school signees because of holding out hope for transfer portal pulls that are significantly above what we have gotten through the portal.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

In your original post you said “shouldn’t we be focusing on corners instead of safeties?” My point is I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. We can get both.

Also, would you rather have a HS signee who we identify as a likely 3-year starting safety or a transfer portal corner who couldn’t crack a P5 rotation? Dealing in realistic scenarios, you don’t want to say no to a top HS talent just because you are holding out hope on getting two “shutdown” corners through the transfer portal. Because if they’re shutdown corners they’re probably already at a P5 and not transferring, or are looking to move up to a P5.

We get John Davis and Jordan Rucker types through the portal (P5 backups who couldn’t crack the rotation), or Ridge Texada and Sean-Thomas Faulkner types (FCS starters). Hopefully we continue to improve on the caliber of guys we sign through the portal, but we’re just not in a position to be turning down multi-year starter type high school signees because of holding out hope for transfer portal pulls that are significantly above what we have gotten through the portal.

Here are the shutdown corners we've pulled from the Xfer portal:
Dominique Harrison - depth
Nick Harvey - a contributor but I dunno if I would say he was very good.  Injuries robbed this poor guy.
Jordan Rucker - depth for a while... now nothing
Ridge Texada - depth
Tyrae Thornton - nothing
John Davis - a contributor (meaning, he was starting prior to the rash of injuries)
Logan Wilson - nothing

Not exactly ringing endorsements of our luck grabbing corners from the Xfer portal.    May be time to take advantage of the JUCO guys who are being overlooked for transfers.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Don't think I ever said we should be turning down multi-year starter type high school signees.  I pointed out the number of safeties on our roster and mentioned that maybe we should focus on some corners.  I don't care where they come from, in fact, I never mentioned focusing on transfers/JUCO's over high school kids.

For clarification, since this seems to be a point of contention with you, I would like to see some corners that can cover.  I gave examples of Kim Phillips, Don McGee and Walter Priestly, and would add Kemon Hall, Eric Jenkins and Nate Brooks to that list.  I don't care if they come from the high school ranks, JUCO or the transfer portal, I just want that position solidified.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't think I ever said we should be turning down multi-year starter type high school signees, but thanks for breaking down my thoughts.

Did I say you said or thought that? No, I didn’t. I was asking an entirely new question related to the situation, that was fairly relevant.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Guess I misunderstood the point you were making above.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Here are the shutdown corners we've pulled from the Xfer portal:
Dominique Harrison - depth
Nick Harvey - a contributor but I dunno if I would say he was very good.  Injuries robbed this poor guy.
Jordan Rucker - depth for a while... now nothing
Ridge Texada - depth
Tyrae Thornton - nothing
John Davis - a contributor (meaning, he was starting prior to the rash of injuries)
Logan Wilson - nothing

Not exactly ringing endorsements of our luck grabbing corners from the Xfer portal.    May be time to take advantage of the JUCO guys who are being overlooked for transfers.

We can say we are wishing for shutdown corners through the portal, but the truth is there are a few degrees of separation between what we have been getting and a true shutdown corner, as you illustrated.

I think we’re still in a time where the impact of the transfer portal isn’t being properly weighted. For example, many on this board clamoring for more transfer portal players cite SMU as a template. Ask one of those people how many defensive starters SMU has from the transfer portal, they’ll probably overstate it.

SMU has 2 defensive starters from the transfer portal. That’s how many we started this past Saturday. Then they have 2 others from JUCO and 7 were signed out of high school. That’s pretty much in line with us. They are getting better players in the portal, and hopefully we will too soon, but at the end of the day they’re using it to supplement their high school signees. Not the other way around.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We can say we are wishing for shutdown corners through the portal, but the truth is there are a few degrees of separation between what we have been getting and a true shutdown corner, as you illustrated.

I think we’re still in a time where the impact of the transfer portal isn’t being properly weighted. For example, many on this board clamoring for more transfer portal players cite SMU as a template. Ask one of those people how many defensive starters SMU has from the transfer portal, they’ll probably overstate it.

SMU has 2 defensive starters from the transfer portal. That’s how many we started this past Saturday. Then they have 2 others from JUCO and 7 were signed out of high school. That’s pretty much in line with us. They are getting better players in the portal, and hopefully we will too soon, but at the end of the day they’re using it to supplement their high school signees. Not the other way around.

SMU's biggest wins in the portals have been their QB's 

On 11/11/2021 at 9:45 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Need to get the best players we can find at every position.  Mr. Moses certainly fits the bill.

Agreed. Our backup safeties earlier this year we’re both true freshman. Plus, we really run out three safeties so we need numbers at the position. 

• Upvote 1