Saddened but Impressed...

Mo Green

We had a great crowd Friday night. We all got into talking to the other mid-majors. The mid-majors supported us (and stopped us to tell us good luck in the game) really fun. 

I have to say as we saw on this blog several Purdue fans told me after the game they hoped we will win the tournament! They were a class act and made our game with them the HIGHEST ATTENDED GAME in the tournament to this point. Beating them was fun, but Grant kept their large fans present pretty subdued throughout the game so that's why you could hear us so well! 

Saddened, but I understand why,  Sundays game was attended by it looked like 1/3 of the MG fans at the stadium compared to Fridays game. I am looking forward to having Grant take us there again for a longer stay and more fans.

This felt like a bowl game on steroids since we had other mid-majors supporting us and asking questions about our BALL! FUN TIME.

Grants whole family was there at Marriott complex in my hotel (Springfield Inn connected to the JW but JW was off limits to guests). Great folks. They locked down all the BIG hotels where the teams were headquartered.

The Colts stadium Lucas Oil had every type of drag/ racing car there either at eye level or over eating/ drinking establishments. I loved it as a muscle car fan ( Shelby's X 2). Bankers Life stadium was OK not really impressive.

Of note, Indianapolis was still locked down. Most eating places and entertainment venues were closed, attractions were pretty non-excited. The NCAA was headquartered just across the street from the Marriott's (our team was in the JW with the March Madness brackets on it). Pretty cool to see UNT on it after 32 teams lost. Even the mall down the street was quite empty.  I went to the NCAA Hall of Champions hoping to see out golf programs name. Nothing. It was really underwhelming.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I was there but definitely smaller than before. Many had to fly/drive back due to work on Monday, but if it was an earlier tip, I bet it would’ve been better

They also made sure to split up all of the UNT fans and spread them out around the arena. Friday night we were all mainly in two sections next to each other. 

• Upvote 2

• Harry featured this topic

I don't know how many of us were around when the NCAA tournament regional (and UNT) was in OKC for the KState matchup.

But, if you haven't been and we have an opportunity to go again - just go. It is one of the best events in the country to go to. The fans from every school are some of the nicest people you have ever met, and it's because everyone knows anything can happen.

One thing I was curious about this year, since I didn't get a chance to go, was whether or not your ticket got you a "session" (2 games) or just 1 game?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Shark 64 said:

They also made sure to split up all of the UNT fans and spread them out around the arena. Friday night we were all mainly in two sections next to each other. 

Yeah but that was also due to the smaller section sizes unlike Lucas Oil. Still not a bad turnout for a Sunday night that was supposed to be afternoon game.

34 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I don't know how many of us were around when the NCAA tournament regional (and UNT) was in OKC for the KState matchup.

But, if you haven't been and we have an opportunity to go again - just go. It is one of the best events in the country to go to. The fans from every school are some of the nicest people you have ever met, and it's because everyone knows anything can happen.

One thing I was curious about this year, since I didn't get a chance to go, was whether or not your ticket got you a "session" (2 games) or just 1 game?

Only one game per ticket, no other games. I hated that, but understood.

And usually the UNT ticket office and other schools has their tickets for the 2 sections behind the bench, but with COVID and limited capacity that was out the window.

44 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Only one game per ticket, no other games. I hated that, but understood.

And usually the UNT ticket office and other schools has their tickets for the 2 sections behind the bench, but with COVID and limited capacity that was out the window.

Yeah I kinda thought it was like that. That’s too bad, because it’s always fun to get the spill over fans from the last game and/or next game cheering for the other teams. Typically every fan pulls for the underdog in any game that isn’t their own.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Fun time there. Buy the way, remember the sign welcoming the "MEAN GREEN" at the Marriott. I just asked for it & it's in my man cave hanging proudly over the car!.

Just one game because of the CCV outbreak!

• Upvote 1