Coach Mac on 105.3 The Fan

Big Z

Did anyone else catch that he said “we know North Texas is not a basketball school” or something to that effect?  That makes me question how much support he feels he really has, and whether that affects how long he stays.  

I feel like North Texas fans during the high points of athletics are like Americans during the World Cup.  They come out of the woodwork and are super “into” their team...and then go back into hiding until the next one.   I can only imagine that coaches, players, and recruits take note of this.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Did anyone else catch that he said “we know North Texas is not a basketball school” or something to that effect?  That makes me question how much support he feels he really has, and whether that affects how long he stays.  

I feel like North Texas fans during the high points of athletics are like Americans during the World Cup.  They come out of the woodwork and are super “into” their team...and then go back into hiding until the next one.   I can only imagine that coaches, players, and recruits take note of this.  

I definitely picked up that he was as tactfully as possible saying he felt the support wasn't the best.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I feel like that is the entire DFW sports fandom, with the notable exception of the Cowboys. Every stadium and arena in the Metroplex is half empty if the team is struggling. NT probably has it worse than others due to our location, traditional student apathy,  and last 30 years of sports history but still not a completely unique situation. 

• Lovely Take 1

44 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I took that as a coach at a school like Texas Tech or TCU might feel about those schools outlooks towards basketball too. UTEP, for example, may not be the best program going right now and certainly is behind us and the other two I mentioned presently, but that’s a basketball school.

And yeah, definitely what you said about being there when it’s bandwagon season but not when we’re playing Maine in November. Never seems to be a situation where excuses can’t be made for why people don’t want to show.

This is a reason we will lose him.  Both he and his team should be playing in front of packed house at home.  Granted this Covid crap has negative impact on it.   His team are fun to watch and I love the players we have had under him.    I will renew my season tickets and hope others will finally buy season tickets to the basketball games.  We need to get more locals to the games, the t-shirt fans.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

I’ll piggyback on all of this to simply say that if this can’t get people excited about the program, especially if McCasland is still coaching here, to come and watch us play, then it’s probably just hopeless at this point to ever expect a decent crowd unless we play someone that people really care about. But I think this will be different this time—for some weird reason, I see him staying here for the next year or two, almost because there are any opening nearby to entice him to leave. He’s a Texas guy. And I don’t see anyone leaving the Texas Power schools or those in the AAC. Maybe SMU? But even that seems like it’s a stretch...

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

People will get excited.  We've had one year successes before and have demonstrated that it takes a lot of winning across multiple seasons to get a dramatic positive change in attendance.

We are on the right track, just don't underestimate how big of a culture battle/change we are facing.  Don't get frustrated if you don't see a huge jump in attendance in game 1 of next season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

People will get excited.  We've had one year successes before and have demonstrated that it takes a lot of winning across multiple seasons to get a dramatic positive change in attendance.

We are on the right track, just don't underestimate how big of a culture battle/change we are facing.  Don't get frustrated if you don't see a huge jump in attendance in game 1 of next season.

I am relying on a 71 year old memory so I may be mistaken, but I believe that UNT drew very respectable crowds during the Blakely years.  I know of near sell outs for Texas, SMU, Tech, DePaul and several other opponents. 

I know, these are “name” schools that always draw nice crowds but as I remember, we still averaged a very nice number of fans.

I believe that basketball is no different from football.  If you put a good product on the floor, you will draw nice crowds.  

This is not a year to panic, Covid-19 changed lots of habits but winning will change them next year.  Just wait and see.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

I am relying on a 71 year old memory so I may be mistaken, but I believe that UNT drew very respectable crowds during the Blakely years.  I know of near sell outs for Texas, SMU, Tech, DePaul and several other opponents. 

I know, these are “name” schools that always draw nice crowds but as I remember, we still averaged a very nice number of fans.

I believe that basketball is no different from football.  If you put a good product on the floor, you will draw nice crowds.  

This is not a year to panic, Covid-19 changed lots of habits but winning will change them next year.  Just wait and see.

I recall talking to a guy who played for UT Arlington around that time (I think), and he always said that him and his buddies would drive up to the UNT games because UNT was a true powerhouse. I totally believe that with another year or two of great basketball production, people will start to really notice. I saw art students on twitter who I would never imagine rooting for UNT sports getting really into March Madness. Lots of excited underclassmen too. I'm super amped for the future.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I’m not going to lie, when Coach Mac said we weren’t a basketball school that certainly stung. It felt like a poke or jab at the fanbase and I understand why.

I didn't take it as a "poke or a jab" because I don't think that is how he operates.  He was being truthful, for now.  I remember the Blakely years as a kid.  Put a good, exciting product on the court and people will come.  Between the local alumni and students alone, we have almost 350,000 people as a base.  We only need 10,000 to fill the place up.  Let's get the AD Marketing team busy along with Mac building the program and see how long it takes to become a basketball school.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I didn't take it as a "poke or a jab" because I don't think that is how he operates.  He was being truthful, for now. 

He was being extremely truthful. He was even talking about how it took time to wrap himself around really believing they could actually beat Purdue at first. 

Being truthful and getting results sure beats the alternative of a coach spewing BS you know he doesn’t really believe and not getting results, making it look even sillier.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

50 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He was being extremely truthful. He was even talking about how it took time to wrap himself around really believing they could actually beat Purdue at first. 

Being truthful and getting results sure beats the alternative of a coach spewing BS you know he doesn’t really believe and not getting results, making it look even sillier.

At the end of the day, we gotta look in the mirror, and I gotta start with myself.  I thought the effort was there & we had a good week of preparation.    The other team played well in all 3 phases of the game & we had turnovers and gave up a bunch of explosive plays on defense.  We gotta go back to the drawing board & get ready for the next game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1