The question now

emmitt01

Javion’s Dad’s shirt he was wearing said “The Final Act” on the back so gonna guess it is it for him. Would love for Bell, Simmons, and Reese to come back but would also understand them wanting to try their hand at playing for a High-Major with this opportunity, or going pro. Non-NBA guys tend to exhaust their eligibility before going overseas though.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

I want to thumb’s up and thumb’s down this post. We aren’t s stepping stone to high major. We can become one and should. Honestly, and call me selfish, but I would be pissed if they decided to take advantage of their extra year and then transfer. 

Lifer, I agree with you completely...and you’re gonna probably be pissed. These Power Conferences are about to wine and dine our seniors very hard.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I want to thumb’s up and thumb’s down this post. We aren’t s stepping stone to high major. We can become one and should. Honestly, and call me selfish, but I would be pissed if they decided to take advantage of their extra year and then transfer. 

Same 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Ah, but: “This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep and I selfishly want to remember them as North Texas lettermen. Not lettermen that also played elsewhere. Again, I am being selfish or a proud alum, probably both. 

I can understand any of us being selfish, as that is human nature, but can't resent another exercising self interest.

• Upvote 1

The question is do we hold on to McCasland?  I didn't want to discuss it while we were still in, but there is a high chance he is courted heavily this offseason by some school with a bigger checkbook than us.  The big boys like hiring young up and comers who have had success in March.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep and I selfishly want to remember them as North Texas lettermen. Not lettermen that also played elsewhere. Again, I am being selfish or a proud alum, probably both. 

Same. My main point is, even if that happens I won’t look at them as having used us as a stepping stone. Gibson clearly did that, these guys didn’t.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

The question is do we hold on to McCasland?  I didn't want to discuss it while we were still in, but there is a high chance he is courted heavily this offseason by some school with a bigger checkbook than us.  The big boys like hiring young up and comers who have had success in March.

Worst case scenario is Ross Hodge takes over. That’s a hell of a consolation. But for now, obviously do anything we can to keep Mccasland and hope the programs he can’t refuse stay away.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

59 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Do any of these seniors stay for another year, and if not who does McCasland restock the cupboard with?  

This is going to have me on edge and probably be the conversation I have at work for the next few weeks to months. 

My gut tells me Hamlet is done (he is an old senior), Reese and him are very close so that may impact his choice but he could really benefit from another year to resume build for playing over seas. Bell needs to come back to continue to work on his offense/ outside game. He greatly improved from last season, but can get better. Simmons is the most likely to return. He has been here the longest and is an engineering major which could see him taking some more advanced classes or wanting to continue and get his masters. 

We will have Jackson (sophomore), McBride (Junior), Jones, Freshman, Robinson (Freshman), Osume (freshman) and Lewis (Junior) all returning. A few of them could be huge for us next season and they all have at least 2 seasons left due to the covid/waiver rulings. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Hang onto McCasland if we can but, I feel like if he goes this is the year it should happen.  Elevate Hodge in time for Day 1 of the post-Hamlet/Simmons era.