FB vs. BB coach salaries

DallasGreen

And Grant isn’t the highest paid coach in the conference. 

Both men took over programs that were in the toilet. One is bringing home trophies, while the other still has his program in the toilet. 

Seeing how Grant was able to turn the  basketball program around proves even more what a fraud Littrell is. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

I agree Mac should be paid, but that is a poor comparison when you factor in the revenue produced by both programs.  Glad ol' @DallasGreencould show up, zero comments about the Purdue game and bitch about salaries.  Some things never change.  We have a few posters that will not comment, but if there is a loss or something doesn't work out to their satisfaction, then here they come.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GRN-WHT said:

And Grant isn’t the highest paid coach in the conference. 

Both men took over programs that were in the toilet. One is bringing home trophies, while the other still has his program in the toilet. 

Seeing how Grant was able to turn the  basketball program around proves even more what a fraud Littrell is. 

I would hardly call two disappointing seasons “in the toilet.” One and two wins seasons - and we have seen many of those around here - are easily a possibility and what I consider the toilet. Not excusing the 2019 season’s disappointing result (2020 for me was more just a happy to see some games situation for me) but we have seen a lot more 1-2 wins seasons than 9 wins seasons over the last 20 years. Still not happy with where we are at, but unlike the end years of Dickey and Mac and all the Dodge years, I actually have some confidence we can get back to the top of the conference in 1-2 years. The talent is there and SL won with a lot less talent before.

Now if you had said “and the defense is still in the toilet,” I would have been on board. 😉

• Upvote 3

Littrell got the salary boost because NT didn't won't to lose him after some good seasons.

That is how it works.  Some of you seem to think that Seth stole the money.  How many of you have turned down a raise by your current employer?

MaCasland is going to be a hot commodity.  I think he just recently got a new contract before the season.  If a big program wants him, NT can't out pay them.  

Hopefully MaCasland wants to build something great at NT and won't be lured away by just more money.  

• Upvote 2

I'm sure he has a list of places he'd definitely leave for (like say if Baylor magically opened up because Drew got hired by an NBA team).  Then he probably has a list of schools he'd go to in they paid him enough to coach.  We just have to hope that neither of those two scenarios comes up in the next few weeks.

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I'm sure he has a list of places he'd definitely leave for (like say if Baylor magically opened up because Drew got hired by an NBA team).  Then he probably has a list of schools he'd go to in they paid him enough to coach.  We just have to hope that neither of those two scenarios comes up in the next few weeks.

It didn't seem like too much was needed to bring him to Denton from Jonesboro.    At the time, with as bad as NT was after the Benford catastrophe, most would probably call that a lateral move (at best).

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It didn't seem like too much was needed to bring him to Denton from Jonesboro.    At the time, with as bad as NT was after the Benford catastrophe, most would probably call that a lateral move (at best).

Well, he's from Texas - so that made a bit of sense if he wanted to "come home" so to speak.  Strictly speaking though, you are correct.

Recruiting is so different in both sports, the mid majors dont have as much of a disadvantage when recruiting basketball players compared to football players.  As for NT goes, the football program will never be able to compete on the national level the way the basketball program does, ans I am OK with that.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

29 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Well, he's from Texas - so that made a bit of sense if he wanted to "come home" so to speak.  Strictly speaking though, you are correct.

I think UNT fit Grant because his family is in DFW? I seem recall some talk about being closer to his father.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Recruiting is so different in both sports, the mid majors dont have as much of a disadvantage when recruiting basketball players compared to football players.  As for NT goes, the football program will never be able to compete on the national level the way the basketball program does, ans I am OK with that.

I believe that both basketball and football, g5's are at a great disadvantage competing against the p5 monopoly.

The difference is that one or two players can make an enormous difference in basketball.  Also basketball is a sport where teams can have real good games and beat higher ranked opponents.   The shear numbers of players in football make this a lot less unlikely.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Lifer I hope you’re not dishing Dallas because he’s one the best football and everything UNT supporter this school has ever had with money,attendance and working for the school. My apologies in advance if that wasn’t your intent.

I am glad he is all of those things, but he tends to only show up and complain.  That was my point.

• Upvote 1