Villanova (3/21/21)

CMJ

21 minutes ago, outoftown said:

A pretty decent preview on SB nation. Quite a bit of flowers for NT

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/3/20/22342393/ncaa-tournament-5-villanova-wildcats-vs-13-north-texas-mean-green-preview

I'd love to see some more in depth previews from neutral perspectives. 

I think overall many folks are coming around to the thought that NTs playing style may not be ideal to make sure you can beat teams worse than yourself on a nightly basis, but it sure is an asset when trying to even the scales against teams who are supposedly  more talented and NT is capable of executing extremely well.

Fantastic write up. I really Enjoyed the way he broke it down and used a lot humor. Good find. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Reseeding the field article on ESPN.  I'm not upset they have us as an 8 seed (as a 13 seed, surely they would do so), but they have as the worst team left.  Now we gotta win.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31102486/reseeding-men-march-madness-2021-field-round-32

nice rundown here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/villanova-wildcats-vs-north-texas-mean-green-ncaa-tournament-betting-odds-pick-second-round-sunday-march-21%3famp=1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Reseeding the field article on ESPN.  I'm not upset they have us as an 8 seed (as a 13 seed, surely they would do so), but they have as the worst team left.  Now we gotta win.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31102486/reseeding-men-march-madness-2021-field-round-32

Ridiculous.

The guys need to keep that chip on their shoulders.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, emmitt01 said:

I think it all depends on Grant’s ability to bring the team back down from the clouds and focus.  

Somehow, I think he will. Great coaching and great chemistry with this team. They know they're on a mission.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Looks Purdue has a nice team. But Villanova is another beast altogether. Our team is tough though and expect a good game, but this one is a step up despite seedings, injuries etc.

I don’t think so. I think Perdue would beat Villanova easy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Caught the last part of College Game Day on ESPN this morning. While the three panelists didn't all agree on the winner of the 15 ORU/7 Florida or 10 Rutgers/2 UH games, apparently there were no disagreements on our game. Starting to feel like we'd need to beat Baylor in the Sweet 16 before we start getting any extra attention.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

I don’t think so. I think Perdue would beat Villanova easy. 

I agree. Purdue would have been a very difficult match up for Villinova. I think they could have matched up better than us but I am by no means writing us out of this game. Anything can happen and Mac always comes out with a fantastic plan. Shut down Earl-Robinson and we have a shot. 

30 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Caught the last part of College Game Day on ESPN this morning. While the three panelists didn't all agree on the winner of the 15 ORU/7 Florida or 10 Rutgers/2 UH games, apparently there were no disagreements on our game. Starting to feel like we'd need to beat Baylor in the Sweet 16 before we start getting any extra attention.

What did they say about #1 seed Illinois and Loyola-Chicago?  Because it looks like Illinois is headed to the couch

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

What did they say about #1 seed Illinois and Loyola-Chicago?  Because it looks like Illinois is headed to the couch

The four games they debated over were Syracuse/West Virginia, Arkansas/Texas Tech, Rutgers/Houston, and Oral Roberts/Florida.

The four games the panelists didn't debate over because all three agreed on the same victor were Baylor/Wisconsin, Illinois/Loyola, Oregon State/Oklahoma State, and us.

Assuming they all predicted Illinois.

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

The four games they debated over were Syracuse/West Virginia, Arkansas/Texas Tech, Rutgers/Houston, and Oral Roberts/Florida.

The four games the panelists didn't debate over because all three agreed on the same victor were Baylor/Wisconsin, Illinois/Loyola, Oregon State/Oklahoma State, and us.

Assuming they all predicted Illinois.

They’re a-holes. 

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I agree. Purdue would have been a very difficult match up for Villinova. I think they could have matched up better than us but I am by no means writing us out of this game. Anything can happen and Mac always comes out with a fantastic plan. Shut down Earl-Robinson and we have a shot. 

Purdue would’ve beaten the Villanova team that played Winthrop.  This isn’t vintage Villanova.  They’re good, no doubt about it.  But, as Jay Wright said, UNT is “going to give us trouble.”

We’ll have to play as well as we did on Friday to win, but Villanova isn’t the super team that won the national championship.  

36 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Purdue would’ve beaten the Villanova team that played Winthrop.  This isn’t vintage Villanova.  They’re good, no doubt about it.  But, as Jay Wright said, UNT is “going to give us trouble.”

We’ll have to play as well as we did on Friday to win, but Villanova isn’t the super team that won the national championship.  

I was just thinking with one of their top players out and how the lineups would match up. 

I guess it can always be a hard call. I don’t want to play Baylor, but something inside of me also tells me we could actually match up well against them. Our size is better off and we could control the pace and slow them down (which I though Wisconsin would be doing). 

it’s difficult to know until that ball is tipped off. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Agree with this. Wish Abilene Christian didn’t beat Texas either.... they’re the talk of Texas now 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

A pretty decent preview on SB nation. Quite a bit of flowers for NT

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/3/20/22342393/ncaa-tournament-5-villanova-wildcats-vs-13-north-texas-mean-green-preview

I'd love to see some more in depth previews from neutral perspectives. 

I think overall many folks are coming around to the thought that NTs playing style may not be ideal to make sure you can beat teams worse than yourself on a nightly basis, but it sure is an asset when trying to even the scales against teams who are supposedly  more talented and NT is capable of executing extremely well.

Most of the comments from the Villanova fans are basing their judgements off of poor scouting of our players.

They seem to have a lock down defender in Slater that they will most likely put on Hamlet.

Most of them think we'll get eaten up in the post and free up the 3 point shot. I hope Simmons has a monster game to surprise yet another fan base how effective our post Defense is along with Bell

27 minutes ago, eeeeagle said:

Most of the comments from the Villanova fans are basing their judgements off of poor scouting of our players.

They seem to have a lock down defender in Slater that they will most likely put on Hamlet.

Most of them think we'll get eaten up in the post and free up the 3 point shot. I hope Simmons has a monster game to surprise yet another fan base how effective our post Defense is along with Bell

Sounds like the the Purdue preview.  Their post game would eat us up and one of their guards was a lock down defender.  Keep overlooking us.

• Upvote 3