Villanova (3/21/21)

CMJ

TeamRankings gave us a 25% chance of beating Purdue. They like our chances of beating Nova a bit more! We're still significant underdogs, but 38% is certainly a better chance. 

TeamRankings Logo

North Texas Logo

North Texas Basketball

Predictions Update
Mar 20, 2021
North Texas beat Purdue 78-69 yesterday to advance to the next round of the NCAA tournament. Updated tournament advancement odds are below.

NCAA Tournament Projections

NCAA Tournament Round Odds For North Texas To Reach Round
Sweet 16 38.7%
Elite 8 8.2%
Final 4 2.4%
Championship 0.5%
Winner 0.1%
We'll send updated odds before every round, if North Texas keeps winning.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

7:45 PM Central Time on TNT

Damn - no Avery Johnson.

I agree with the rest of you who say he's not that great. The worst part of this has been hearing him say "Hamlin" over and over. But he's the guy who has watched the most North Texas basketball recently. If he weren't so lovable, I'd be happy he was getting replaced by Nance and Raftery.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

TeamRankings gave us a 25% chance of beating Purdue. They like our chances of beating Nova a bit more! We're still significant underdogs, but 38% is certainly a better chance. 

TeamRankings Logo

North Texas Logo

North Texas Basketball

Predictions Update
Mar 20, 2021
North Texas beat Purdue 78-69 yesterday to advance to the next round of the NCAA tournament. Updated tournament advancement odds are below.

NCAA Tournament Projections

NCAA Tournament Round Odds For North Texas To Reach Round
Sweet 16 38.7%
Elite 8 8.2%
Final 4 2.4%
Championship 0.5%
Winner 0.1%
We'll send updated odds before every round, if North Texas keeps winning.

Time for the Nostradamus pic?  I want to, but I can't remember if it's good mojo or just funny (to me), and we need to keep the mojo rolling.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I only want Johnson to call the game because he's proven to be good luck.  He's a pretty mediocre color analyst - and I feel like I'm pretty easy on announcers compared to most.

Luckily I’ll be there so I don’t have to hear him gagging on the other team

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Winthrop was way way overseeded. I think this is a very winnable game. A stat that people keep passing around is Villanova only has like 6 turnovers a game. That's wild, and I think the third best in the Country. our defense will have to be absolutely locked in. If we can shut down robinson-earl, I don't think they have anyone else who can step up big.

• Upvote 3

So what are we thinking the game plan is? Mac has done a fantastic job of game planning for WKU and Purdue’s bigs. Hopefully we can shut down Robinson-Earl and Samuels. Just let Moore be their go to go like we did with Purdue? I feel like the game plan is going to be similar, but idk?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So what are we thinking the game plan is? Mac has done a fantastic job of game planning for WKU and Purdue’s bigs. Hopefully we can shut down Robinson-Earl and Samuels. Just let Moore be their go to go like we did with Purdue? I feel like the game plan is going to be similar, but idk?

I would do same gameplay as Purdue

• Upvote 1

A pretty decent preview on SB nation. Quite a bit of flowers for NT

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/3/20/22342393/ncaa-tournament-5-villanova-wildcats-vs-13-north-texas-mean-green-preview

I'd love to see some more in depth previews from neutral perspectives. 

I think overall many folks are coming around to the thought that NTs playing style may not be ideal to make sure you can beat teams worse than yourself on a nightly basis, but it sure is an asset when trying to even the scales against teams who are supposedly  more talented and NT is capable of executing extremely well.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1