Purdue (3/19/21)

CMJ

6 hours ago, meanrob said:

As I go to bed I just want to say this is the best night ever to be a North Texas fan. I’m a football guy, I love UNT football, but this is better than New Mexico State (both times), better than the New Orleans Bowl, better than beating Tech (barely) and better than all the rest. It just is.  GMG. 

Great post!!  So true.  Friends and family and coworkers have been texting and calling me with congratulations. The magnitude of this accomplishment is beyond our comprehension at this particular time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Great post!!  So true.  Friends and family and coworkers have been texting and calling me with congratulations. The magnitude of this accomplishment is beyond our comprehension at this particular time.

Imagine what it will be like if we beat Nova and make the sweet 16

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I feel like I’m in some kind of Mean Green Nirvana right now. I’ve dreamed of something like this since I became a UNT fan in 1990. I think about Jesse Ratliff, David Miller, Chris Davis, and so many others that were apart of some really, really bad teams when I lived in Denton. I think about the games at the Pit in front of dozens of people while we played Tarleton, East Texas Baptist, or Panhandle State. So much joy today in my heart for the program...and all it took was a real AD finding a coach and making it happen to get him here and let him blossom into what we are seeing now.

I’m genuinely happy for long time fans like you and so many others on this board that have stuck it out all these years, even when it was really hard to convince yourself that something like this was possible and would one day happen for us.

I love watching the nation bandwagon on the Mean Green as Cinderella and fall in love with this team, but all the people here on GMG - the Bleed Green true believers - have a feeling right now that they’ll never be able to comprehend. 

• Upvote 4

My Mom wrote for the Daily sports page during the Blakeley era and got to know Jimmy Gales and Billy Tubbs while covering the team.  Neither of my folks (Pop was a 4 year letterman in track and cross country) follow NT sports like I do at all, but Mom sent me several notes last night about how exciting it all was and how she's sure Blakely is looking down on all this and smiling.

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Mom sent me several notes last night about how exciting it all was and how she's sure Blakely is looking down on all this and smiling.

All I could think was that hopefully, somewhere out in the wilderness, @UNTflyer and Dewey the Bear were celebrating like crazy. 

1 minute ago, TheTastyGreek said:

All I could think was that hopefully, somewhere out in the wilderness, @UNTflyer and Dewey the Bear were celebrating like crazy. 

I couldn't remember that bear's name.

(That might be the best place I ever stayed in on a trip - awesome house)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

The editing in this is extremely annoying. Are they cutting out language? I’m skeptical of that, so not sure what the deal is.

Editing? What editing? This looks like a really bad/low quality video web stream recording with a lot of lost data packets causing these "edits". Also, what is this horrible audio quality? Did the local middle school audio club run audio on this press conference?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

And maybe the bus back to the hotel will catch fire and the entire team will die in the explosion. 

Take 5 minutes and enjoy things. This is a neat thing that just happened. 

I'm just glad that you got to see it happen. I can still remember watching TV and seeing you and Matt in the stands, maybe with Matt painted green, but I'm older now and don't always trust my memory.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

I'm just glad that you got to see it happen. I can still remember watching TV and seeing you and Matt in the stands, maybe with Matt painted green, but I'm older now and don't always trust my memory.

I mean... I had fun watching, but I'm a filthy, distant, casual observer at best these days. I'm glad for people who were heavily invested in the season.

I know if this had happened 10 years ago or so, when I was traveling to see as many as 27 games in person one year... This might have literally killed me. Stopped my heart cold.

Anyone who was ride or die all year, I'm glad they got to experience this as a possible once a generation or once a lifetime payoff. Hopefully there's more basketball to come. 

1 minute ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I mean... I had fun watching, but I'm a filthy, distant casual observer at best these days. I'm glad for people who were heavily invested in the season.

I know if this had happened 10 years ago or so, when I was traveling to see as many as 27 games in person one year... This might have literally killed me. Stopped my heart cold.

Anyone who was ride or die all year, I'm glad they got to experience this as a possible once a generation or once a lifetime payoff. Hopefully there's more basketball to come. 

Yeah, they'll carry those memories with them forever, but how many will remember sitting under the court as we beat UT Arlington in their previous cafetorium home, with JJ drawing up the final play? I guess I was never truly dedicated, but got reminded by the geography professors when I changed to that major that said professors were scorekeepers in that Bill Blakely era, so began attending at the Super Pit, thinking that was a strong hint. Those were large and raucous crowds for such limited post season possibilities. Strange that I mostly remember those 1970 style jackets Blakely wore, but can't remember what they were called.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I mean... I had fun watching, but I'm a filthy, distant, casual observer at best these days. I'm glad for people who were heavily invested in the season.

This. I’m far from Denton these days and I just get home and follow online. Shout out to those who fight traffic, Covid and all the obstacles to support the team in person. No one fan is better than the other but it is more special when you are invested night in and out and know the players and the families. 

9 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Yes. I have taken such a hard time at work for being a UNT fan, but we just earned some respect and the praise for how well we looked on the court is amazing! Turning heads all over Denton!

• Upvote 1

For all those that came to the defense of Zach...  thanks.  I think it’s fair to say he had a bad game.  It’s not the end of the world & DEFINITELY NOT a commentary on his career.  He’s a spectacular player and a key cog in the machine.

And I don’t ever recall a 2-bad-game streak from him, so look for him to kill Nova tomorrow to make it up!

We’re going to the Sweet 16, and Zach is gonna be a huge reason why!

• Upvote 3