Purdue (3/19/21)

CMJ

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

In our 4 non-conference losses to power conference/ranked teams, Jones hit 6 of the 17 three-pointers we made in those games. We are going to need to shoot well, and Jones could’ve really helped there.

He will be missed. I wonder how he’s gonna help us beat ‘Nova. 😎

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I give us a 15% chance at the upset.  We're scrappy as hell and I know Mac will have us ready to play.  However, Purdue has too much size and the Big 10 was ridiculously strong this season.  We definitely have a puncher's chance - much more than our three previous tournament appearances.

By game time, I'll probably be predicting a win - but right now I still am thinking logically.  🙂

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 3/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, CMJ said:

I give us a 15% chance at the upset.  We're scrappy as hell and I know Mac will have us ready to play.  However, Purdue has too much size and the Big 10 was ridiculously strong this season.  We definitely have a puncher's chance - much more than our three previous tournament appearances.

ESPN has us at about a 25% chance for an upset.  That's pretty good and better than #11 Winthrop over #5 Villanova FWIW.    I think that is about right.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401310909

With Grant, our guys will be prepared.    Stay aggressive.   Don't play scared with a lead, if they get one.    Colgate had a 14 point first half lead today, until Arkansas scored the last 17 points of the half.    No lead is going to be safe.

And, our guys MUST stay within striking distance at the half (down by 8 or less).    

I usually root for all upsets in the tourney.   But, I kind of hope there are no big upsets until we play.   Since there is usually only 1 or 2 notable upsets in the first round, I would rather not have another team use up one of those lives 😉

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4

Play four minute media timeout segments and don't lose any of them by too much.  If we're in this by the mid point in the second half, Purdue might start to struggle mentally.

The main problem with calling for upsets this year is the lack of fans.  No neutral crowd getting behind Cinderella might prevent some of the ones from previous years.

• Upvote 3

Let me just preemptively say a few things.

- If we don’t win this game, or even if we lose by a lot...you are a fool if you post things like “Fire McCasland” or “He’s not worth the money” etc

- The people who are on our bench are on the bench for a reason...don’t embarrass yourself by posting “we need to rest our starters” or “(insert player who has yet to show star power) should get more playing time”

- We will miss some shots, fail to get some rebounds, and have a defensive lapse or two.  This is still the best team we have put on the floor in some time, so remember that when you want to play amateur coach or strategist.  

I have spoken.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1