Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Recommended Posts

It doesn't get near as much attention as the football portal, but does anyone think Mac will hit the portal looking to replace the potential senior graduates that don't return, or do we expect him to hit the JUCO ranks?

Here are some interesting players available in the portal:

Guards

https://247sports.com/Player/KyKy-Tandy-46035830/

https://247sports.com/Player/AuDiese-Toney-46049653/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaelen-House-46044696/high-school-197619/

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Powell-46048027/

Forwards

https://247sports.com/Player/Gerald-Liddell-85995/high-school-151219/

https://247sports.com/Player/Shon-Robinson-46048880/

https://247sports.com/Player/Seth-Lundy-46038493/

https://247sports.com/Player/Joel-Ntambwe-46052955/

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have not offered anyone in a couple months or so. This is similar to the last two seasons as well. Seems like once conference play starts we buckle down on the guys we have offered and focus on them, and the season of course.

There are a lot of variables at play right now. For example, everyone is eligible to come back but if they all did, plus our two signees, we would be at 14 scholarships. The limit is historically 13.

The NCAA allowed for seniors to not count towards the 85-scholarship limit for the 2021 football season. I have not seen a similar announcement for basketball rosters to allow for more than 13 scholarship players next season as long as no more than 13 are freshmen-juniors.

So between whether the NCAA allows for more than 13, and figuring out which players will be back next season, my guess is there is still some uncertainty to sort out before we start seeing us chase more players. But hopefully our run has made us very appealing to transfers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We have not offered anyone in a couple months or so. This is similar to the last two seasons as well. Seems like once conference play starts we buckle down on the guys we have offered and focus on them, and the season of course.

There are a lot of variables at play right now. For example, everyone is eligible to come back but if they all did, plus our two signees, we would be at 14 scholarships. The limit is historically 13.

The NCAA allowed for seniors to not count towards the 85-scholarship limit for the 2021 football season. I have not seen a similar announcement for basketball rosters to allow for more than 13 scholarship players next season as long as no more than 13 are freshmen-juniors.

So between whether the NCAA allows for more than 13, and figuring out which players will be back next season, my guess is there is still some uncertainty to sort out before we start seeing us chase more players. But hopefully our run has made us very appealing to transfers.

image.png.ed67ebe7213f6747f6b26493e2620c10.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

That’s for fall sports. Basketball is considered a winter sport.

 

Long article. It seems to be pointing to ALL athletes who return will not count. Will be up to each school to decide if they want to go over

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

image.png.415b037b2a9b6e0498ecfb345a163752.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep checking for Texas A&M's Jonathan Aku to show up in the portal.

He's a 6-10 260lb F/C that played at iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy ln Lewisville. The former 4* recruit has been buried on the depth chart and only getting a handful of minutes each game. His coach, Buzz Williams, has now signed the higher rated and younger 7-0 Javonte Brown to play the same position.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some potential Hamlet replacements, in the event that he is gone. I really like Green and Stewart, but I also really like guys like Reynolds who were High Major players who played but never really had the chance to be the guy. I feel like guys like that saw Hamlet play for us and thought they could do something similar if given that role.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, UNTLifer said:

smu PG enters the portal.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyson-Jolly-78876/

Committed to Baylor out of high school, ended up at Trinity Valley and then smu.

That would be awesome, have a feeling based on how he performed at SMU he is looking to try to move to what he would perceive as the "big time".

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, meangreenacct said:

That would be awesome, have a feeling based on how he performed at SMU he is looking to try to move to what he would perceive as the "big time".

So us.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick scan this weekend of some interesting prospects.  I have zero knowledge if we are recruiting any of these young men.

Couple of Memphis PG's.

https://247sports.com/Player/Boogie-Ellis-46047755/

https://247sports.com/Player/Damion-Baugh-46041323/

Rhode Island's own that dropped 22 on us a couple of years ago.  Plus, who doesn't want a backcourt of Boogie and Fats?

https://247sports.com/Player/Fatts-Russell-84780/

Ruedale "Rudi" Williams from KSU.  I believe we recruited him before he picked the Wildcats.

https://247sports.com/Player/Rudi-Williams-46094014/

Another from smu.

https://247sports.com/Player/Darius-McNeill-93956/

Shooting Guards:

TX Tech:

Young man out of Duncanville.

 https://247sports.com/Player/Micah-Peavy-46036341/

Arlington native:

https://247sports.com/Player/Kyler-Edwards-46035652/

Power Forwards:

OU:

Hometown of Sulphur Springs

https://247sports.com/Player/Victor-Iwuakor-46055287/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 4:58 AM, ADLER said:

I keep checking for Texas A&M's Jonathan Aku to show up in the portal.

He's a 6-10 260lb F/C that played at iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy ln Lewisville. The former 4* recruit has been buried on the depth chart and only getting a handful of minutes each game. His coach, Buzz Williams, has now signed the higher rated and younger 7-0 Javonte Brown to play the same position.

He has entered the portal.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonathan-Aku-46048639/

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best two guards in the portal may be from the same school, West Texas A&M. Both three time All Americas , both avg. over 20 pts per game. Got beat in the DII Nat'l Championship game this year. Oua Grant  (Waxahatchie ) sp. and JoJo Murray (Rowlett) .

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.