Zak schooled Bassey in the Championship Game!

NTEX91

Zachary Simmons: 12 points on 6/11 shooting (54.5%), 5 rebounds, 1 assist in 38 minutes

Charles Bassey: 13points on 3/12 shooting (25%), 11 rebounds, 2 assists in 42 minutes

Zach certainly held his own and was the much more efficient scorer, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say he “schooled” him

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

25% shooting is terrible...

It is, but Bassey was also a menace on defense.  He had about 4-5 blocks (maybe not officially, but it seemed that way) and numerous other alterations of shots by our guys driving to the basket.

I'd say it was a draw.  But given Bassey's talent, a draw was a big win.

Edited by CMJ

28 minutes ago, CMJ said:

It is, but Bassey was also a menace on defense.  He had about 4-5 blocks (maybe not officially, but it seemed that way) and numerous other alterations of shots by our guys driving to the basket.

I'd say it was a draw.  But given Bassey's talent, a draw was a big win.

Agreed. Big Zach played tough and gritty. Set the tone and anchored the team against the toughest matchup on the floor. His buckets came at critical times. Like breaking that 2nd half scoring drought.

Big time props to him. More than held his own.

• Upvote 2

Our game plan against Bassey was executed perfectly IMHO.  At this level, he’s the type of talent that can single-handedly dominate a game and carry his team across the finish line.  There is no way you are going to completely neutralize him. He’s going to get his looks, but we didn’t let him dominate the game offensively or defensively.  Great job by the coaching staff and team for delivering on the plan. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

Simmons outplayed Bassey the first half, and Bassey won the second.

Bassey helped by shooting 3's which he not only missed but couldn't get the rebounds.

Bassey trying to demonstrate to the pros that he can be that big man that can stretch the defense. 

Game plan was super, again Mac is the best coach by far in this leauge. 

• Upvote 4

Bassey had 11 rebounds in the second half which helped them with their come back. 

But Simmons performance against Bassey was just superb and he held his own against a 1st team all American last night.

I thought Resse had a good tournament despite being off on his shots. He does a lot of things that helps us win games.

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Bassey had 11 rebounds in the second half which helped them with their come back. 

But Simmons performance against Bassey was just superb and he held his own against a 1st team all American last night.

I thought Resse had a good tournament despite being off on his shots. He does a lot of things that helps us win games.

Agree. I always see Reese flexing for loose balls and hustling on both ends of the floor. He and Bell have been huge for this team even when they don’t produce offensively as much. Hoping both return to run it back. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Made the All Tournament Team

2021 ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Javion Hamlet, North Texas
Mardrez McBride, North Texas
Charles Bassey, WKU
Dayvion McKnight, WKU
Michael Ertel, UAB

Talk about  WKU's hold on this conference, how does anyone put McKnight on the all tournament team?

His averages for the tournament, 8 pts, 3rbs, and less than 2 asts.  In the championship game he did come on strong with 2 pts, 0 rbs 1 asts

Total garbage

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

2021 ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Javion Hamlet, North Texas
Mardrez McBride, North Texas
Charles Bassey, WKU
Dayvion McKnight, WKU
Michael Ertel, UAB

Talk about  WKU's hold on this conference, how does anyone put McKnight on the all tournament team?

His averages for the tournament, 8 pts, 3rbs, and less than 2 asts.  In the championship game he did come on strong with 2 pts, 0 rbs 1 asts

Total garbage

Totally agree McKnight is good but was not deserving of this recognition.

BassY did a lot of damage when Zach was not in the game. Very unimpressive for a "nba talented" player.

Zach and Abou are one of the reasons we won this game.

It also made me smile seeing Bassey get fouled out. Even though it meant nothing, I just love seeing Western waste 5 stars and no championships!!!!! HAHAHA 

• Upvote 1