Anyone here remember the Jankovich era at UNT?

stl.pony

4 minutes ago, stl.pony said:

Did he do well? Was he liked? What led to his departure? Opinions?

SMU fans have completely turned on him, but we have the most inept athletic director in history, and a single donor funding the basketball program w/ no history of king making.

Rick V took over as AD at SMU? How did I miss this news?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I thought he was a good coach.  I believe he was fired after my freshman year at NT.

If I recall, he didn't agree with Helwig's philosophy of OOC scheduling and they fought over it.

Thank you for this. Let me guess, he didn't want to play good teams?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, stl.pony said:

Thank you for this. Let me guess, he didn't want to play good teams?

Well, he didn't wanna play GREAT teams.  Helwig favored a murderers row as we moved from the Southland to the Big West.  We didn't have the horses for that sorta schedule, at all.  At least not if we didn't want our brains beat in.  Think the kind of road schedule the HBCUs typically play.  All power 5 schools, 90% of the time on the road  That was the Helwig philosophy.

• Upvote 1

As noted above, Jank objected to the Helwig schedule of all oc money games to finance the program.  He was correct, ask Trilli. 

He in my opinion was not ready to be a HC.

He supposedly really threw a fit after he was fired.  Tearing up his office and creating a scene.   

I thought he has been a good HC for SMU.   SMU will probably fire him and get a name coach and reinvigorate their program. 

• Eye Roll 1

When I was at UNT my girlfriend at the time did videos for NTTV and scheduled an interview with Tim Jankovich.   She always used one of our friends to do the interviews as he was very smooth and well spoken.  She stayed behind the camera.  The day came for the interview (I had something else going) and our friend didn't show up.  She had to setup the camera and do the interview with no prepared questions.  She was not dressed to be on camera as she was wearing a hoodie.

The interview was ok.  The questions weren't good because my girl friend didn't really know sports.  However, I remember Tim answering the questions and helping her out with his answers.  

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

Helwig wanted to schedule away games to fund the program, since the administration wouldn’t. In some ways, it wasn’t a bad idea, as he has almost no choice. But he couldn’t fundraise for anything. Jank also knew he could be a top assistant and make more than he was at UNT. 

That said, he’s a solid coach. But the AAC is tough and SMU probably needs to get a bigger name to move the needle up.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Helwig wanted to schedule away games to fund the program, since the administration wouldn’t. In some ways, it wasn’t a bad idea, as he has almost no choice. But he couldn’t fundraise for anything. Jank also knew he could be a top assistant and make more than he was at UNT. 

That said, he’s a solid coach. But the AAC is tough and SMU probably needs to get a bigger name to move the needle up.

Jank was fired at NT, by his reaction; he was not leaving because he could earn more as an assistant.

Helwig was a failure at NT and apparently at the time, NT didn't know that nearly all similar G5's use student fees to stay afloat.   He was not well liked by many.  

Jank now 61 with a 101-64 record at SMU.  I doubt SMU finds anyone better.  SMU with all their money is in too tough a league for them to dominate and in some sports even compete at the top level.  

My favorite memory if Jank....

I was in a band at the time and the Athletic Department had us play at a Coaches Show with Tim and Tina.  As planned, during one part of the show, we “unexpectedly” asked Jank to get up on stage and play a lead riff to a song.  He played one of my guitars and did a good job ( I understand he practiced in his office).  Then, we invited Tina to play.  Tina did not play guitar but I spent a little time with her and she played an ad lib on a 12 bar tune.  It passed the audition and her players and the fans loved it.  

Ask Tim about the time he was the headliner at Rick’s American Grill.  

GO NEAN GEEEN

Edited by greenjoe

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Jank was fired at NT, by his reaction; he was not leaving because he could earn more as an assistant.

Helwig was a failure at NT and apparently at the time, NT didn't know that nearly all similar G5's use student fees to stay afloat.   He was not well liked by many.  

Jank now 61 with a 101-64 record at SMU.  I doubt SMU finds anyone better.  SMU with all their money is in too tough a league for them to dominate and in some sports even compete at the top level.  

Dude, they hired Larry Brown and he almost immediately got them built back up. Jank came with him as the coach-in-waiting. That was what their money got them—along with a brand new modern Moody Coliseum. They can and will get a solid coach when the time rolls  around. Like UH, SMU plays in a conference that is well-respected in hoops. A good coach knows it can get you a very high seed in the Tournament as a champion.

• Upvote 1

SMU is in a tough league.  We used to be when your AAC’s toughest opponents were all in the Missouri Valley Conference with us.   
 I met Jank thru SUMG & found him to be a nice guy. Someone had to give him a good recommendation to get the SMU job.  
•••SMU basketball iconic coach Doc Hayes is in both the SMU & UNT Athletic Hall of Fame.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Hayes

Will SMU get an NIT invite?  

I hope WKU gets an invite.  

58 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

SMU is in a tough league.  We used to be when your AAC’s toughest opponents were all in the Missouri Valley Conference with us.   
 I met Jank thru SUMG & found him to be a nice guy. Someone had to give him a good recommendation to get the SMU job.  
•••SMU basketball iconic coach Doc Hayes is in both the SMU & UNT Athletic Hall of Fame.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Hayes

Will SMU get an NIT invite?  

I hope WKU gets an invite.  

I think both will get an invite...

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, stl.pony said:

Did he do well? Was he liked? What led to his departure? Opinions?

SMU fans have completely turned on him, but we have the most inept athletic director in history, and a single donor funding the basketball program w/ no history of king making.

Helwig took over a very underfunded athletic department so he paid for the program by overscheduling money games on the road both in football and basketball. Neither coach had a chance. I was Jank's cart partner in UNT Don January golf fund raiser and was very impressed with him. He knew the end was coming, was fired a few weeks later, but never said a negative thing about his situation in my presence. Personally I have a high opinion of him but wish he would schedule us.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Dude, they hired Larry Brown and he almost immediately got them built back up. Jank came with him as the coach-in-waiting. That was what their money got them—along with a brand new modern Moody Coliseum. They can and will get a solid coach when the time rolls  around. Like UH, SMU plays in a conference that is well-respected in hoops. A good coach knows it can get you a very high seed in the Tournament as a champion.

Dude you are correct, but he was fired at NT and then wondered around 10 years before landing at SMU.  Are you concerned he didn't put the termination in his bio.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I think both will get an invite...

UNT AD Wren Baker is on the selection committee according to a fellow alum.  

West Division champ La Tech should get consideration but with only 16 choices I don’t know.

SMU being local would I’m sure help their chances by creating more local interest.  I mean they do tend to help generate fans at Apogee, right? 🙄😊

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Dude you are correct, but he was fired at NT and then wondered around 10 years before landing at SMU.  Are you concerned he didn't put the termination in his bio.  

He didn’t wonder around. He was the top assistant at KU under Self, then became the head coach at Illinois State in the MVC, before going to SMU as the coach in waiting under Larry Brown.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

He didn’t wonder around. He was the top assistant at KU under Self, then became the head coach at Illinois State in the MVC, before going to SMU as the coach in waiting under Larry Brown.

Take things kind of literally don't you think.  I will restate for you, after being terminated by NT, Tim Jankovich became a coach at Hutchinson CC,  assistant at Vanderbilt, assistant at Illinois, assistant at Kansas then to Illinois St as HC before landing at SMU.  That is wondering around to me, I didn't want to imply that he was out of work hanging around looking for handouts. 

By the way, if you bother to read my comments you will find that I say Jank was a good coach and SMU might have a problem finding a better one. 

The negative on him at NT, was he didn't have enough experience for the job. 

I will also add that I talked to Jank  several times when he was at NT as well as seeing all the home games plus several away; so I have basis for my opinions.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Take things kind of literally don't you think.  I will restate for you, after being terminated by NT, Tim Jankovich because a coach at Hutchinson CC,  assistant at Vanderbilt, assistant at Illinois, assistant at Kansas then to Illinois St as HC before landing at SMU.  That is wondering around to me, I didn't want to imply that he was out of work hanging around looking for handouts. 

By the way, if you bother to read my comments you will find that I say Jank was a good coach and SMU might have a problem finding a better one. 

The negative on him at NT, was he didn't have enough experience for the job. 

I will also add that I talked to Jank  several times when he was at NT as well as seeing all the home games plus several away; so I have basis for my opinions.

I’m glad you talked to Jank when he was here. I did, as well. I guess we are even.

You have shown you know as much about college basketball as college football...on both boards. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m glad you talked to Jank when he was here. I did, as well. I guess we are even.

You have shown you know as much about college basketball as college football...on both boards. 

Another classy post 

Yes, having played SEC college football, I am sure you know a lot more about football.

What an idiot

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, stl.pony said:

Jank is an odd man. He left a HC job at Illinois state to take an assistant job at SMU. Just an odd thing to do. 

Didn't he come expecting to be head coach in waiting, which is actually what happened? Kind of a strange way of getting a HC job, but maybe it all happened the way it was supposed to, except that Jank didn't meet the expectations y'all had.