Duke’s Season is over

Big Z

28 minutes ago, CMJ said:

And Duke's women's program was trying to duck EVERYBODY.  And Western Kentucky ducked us...or was it we ducked them, I can't keep up.  And the Big Ten was ducking everyone for the first part of the last football season.  And the entire FCS was doing some serious ducking...they didn't even play their championships!

But none of it compares to that no good Coach K (who, by the way, not a single person of any real credibility has ever called into question for his character).  If that damn guy hadn't convinced the entirety of the Duke athletics program to make changes based on "COVID"...I mean, what is that really?...we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. 

***If it appears I am not taking this whole conversation seriously, it's because I am not.  The original premise was so asinine that comedy is the only reasonable response.  And have we really stopped down to engage in schadenfreude while our team is literally IN a conference tournament that might demand just a little more of our attention and mental energy?  I swear, kids today***

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, CMJ said:

So, every 1 or 2 seed that gets upset early is overrated now?  Was Virginia overrated when they lost in the First Round as a 1 seed in 2018?  The first time that ever happened!  They win the title the following year, so I'd argue not.  Crap happens in March.  It just shows what a crap shoot the Tournament is. 

Coach K could have cut out weeks ago if he wanted to save face the way you're accusing.  Hell, their women's team did!  Obviously he wanted to get in the field.  This wasn't "an excuse."  Chances are they would have lost to Florida State, but given a win there might have put them in the field, I am dubious (at best) they made the whole thing up to duck the Seminoles. 

You're a Kansas fan, right?  All the blue blood fan bases accuse each other of all sorts of nefarious stuff.  I see it all the time.  Everyone hates everyone.

The only Blue Blood school I absolutely despise is Kentucky.  They've been a renegade program as far as I'm concerned since at least as far back as Sutton...and that was really before my time!  All the other royalty might chap me at times, and I might root against them, but I at least respect them.  Self is a great guy IMHO.  How Duke became the face of everything wrong with college basketball to so many is beyond me when there's always Kentucky to look at.  

When it happens regularly, yes. Much like Texas in football, Duke is always overrated in basketball and always happens to get "upset" by teams perceived to be much worse than them. Yeah, stuff happens but when it becomes a regular occurrence, it is a pattern and not happenstance. 

Yes, I am a Kansas fan but don't have schools I absolutely despise like other blue blood fans. I agree on Kentucky and also think that Cal is way overrated. He is a good recruiter, not a good coach. He brings in 5 star players every year, then they look lost on the court like they have all year this year because he recruits the same kind of player. I root for and am currently loving the demise of Kentucky basketball. 

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

And Duke's women's program was trying to duck EVERYBODY.  And Western Kentucky ducked us...or was it we ducked them, I can't keep up.  And the Big Ten was ducking everyone for the first part of the last football season.  And the entire FCS was doing some serious ducking...they didn't even play their championships!

But none of it compares to that no good Coach K (who, by the way, not a single person of any real credibility has ever called into question for his character).  If that damn guy hadn't convinced the entirety of the Duke athletics program to make changes based on "COVID"...I mean, what is that really?...we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. 

***If it appears I am not taking this whole conversation seriously, it's because I am not.  The original premise was so asinine that comedy is the only reasonable response.  And have we really stopped down to engage in schadenfreude while our team is literally IN a conference tournament that might demand just a little more of our attention and mental energy?  I swear, kids today***

Your response is once again so over exaggerated and deflectory that it doesn't warrant a rebuttal. Don't think the discussion is worth your time? Don't contribute. Don't think discussion on the current state of sports and what of going on in them is warranted on a message board specifically made to discuss sports? Don't go onto message boards. 

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Your response is once again so over exaggerated and deflectory that it doesn't warrant a rebuttal. Don't think the discussion is worth your time? Don't contribute. Don't think discussion on the current state of sports and what of going on in them is warranted on a message board specifically made to discuss sports? Don't go onto message boards. 

Ok, you win.  And since I'm one of the old folks, allow me to reward you in a language I know you can understand. 

Participation Trophy Vector Icon Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock  Illustration. Image 71991145.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

When it happens regularly, yes. Much like Texas in football, Duke is always overrated in basketball and always happens to get "upset" by teams perceived to be much worse than them. Yeah, stuff happens but when it becomes a regular occurrence, it is a pattern and not happenstance. 

The Texas comparison has me thinking, they haven't been rated nearly as high lately as they were in the previous decade.

I think 'bama's dominance, along with the success of Clemson and these other SEC/non-Big 12 teams has dominated the CFB picture lately.  So much so, I haven't seen nearly as many media folk crying for them to be in the national title hunt lately.  At least, not as strongly as they used to.

Back on topic: Duke, while they have failed to win it all in 6 years, are still getting top national recruits, winning 25+ games, and making E8 runs.  I might be alone here, but when you are a 1 or 2 seed and making it to the E8 under that expectation, you've done your job.  Even if you fail to win the National Title.

If he was constantly bowing out in the round of 32 or S16 as a 1 or 2 seed, then this would be a different story.

• Upvote 1

In the last ten seasons (2011-2021) Duke lost in:

First Round as a 2 seed once

First Round as a 3 seed once

Round of 32 as a 2 seed once

Sweet 16 as a 1 seed once

Sweet 16 as a 4 seed once

Elite 8 as a 1 seed once

Elite 8 as a 2 seed twice

They also won a title in there as well.

Now, obviously those first round losses are bad, but the one Round of 32 loss was arguably a road game and not the normal 7 over a 2 (and that South Carolina team ended up in the Final 4 too!).  All the others were pretty understandable losses.  I think this "Duke is always overrated and flames out early" is overstated.  Every Blue Blood school has notable early flameouts.  They're notable and we remember them BECAUSE they're royalty.  Upsets against great programs, but not Blue Bloods, aren't remembered as much.  Virginia/UMBC will because it was a 1/16.  But there have been several 15s over 2s, but we only remember one or two of them (including Duke's).

Edited by CMJ

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Apples and oranges, Virginia is a projected automatic qualifier into the NCAA tournament and still the 16th ranked team in the country. Duke is having a garbage year and K is trying to save face

One person believes your narrative and that is you.  All that drives your thinking is some odd hatred of Coach K. 
Being a KU fan, I would be more interested in your thoughts on the dismissal of you AD and FBC. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The Texas comparison has me thinking, they haven't been rated nearly as high lately as they were in the previous decade.

I think 'bama's dominance, along with the success of Clemson and these other SEC/non-Big 12 teams has dominated the CFB picture lately.  So much so, I haven't seen nearly as many media folk crying for them to be in the national title hunt lately.  At least, not as strongly as they used to.

Back on topic: Duke, while they have failed to win it all in 6 years, are still getting top national recruits, winning 25+ games, and making E8 runs.  I might be alone here, but when you are a 1 or 2 seed and making it to the E8 under that expectation, you've done your job.  Even if you fail to win the National Title.

If he was constantly bowing out in the round of 32 or S16 as a 1 or 2 seed, then this would be a different story.

Yes, not as high as they used to be but they are still being ranked in the Top 25 despite things like an 8-5 record. Also yeah, definitely not crying for a National Title birth but still believing "Texas is back" every year and constantly thinking they are a Top 10 team. Agreed on that. 

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

In the last ten seasons (2011-2021) Duke lost in:

First Round as a 2 seed once

First Round as a 3 seed once

Round of 32 as a 2 seed once

Sweet 16 as a 1 seed once

Sweet 16 as a 4 seed once

Elite 8 as a 1 seed twice

Elite 8 as a 2 seed once

Elite 8 as a 2 seed once

They also once a title in there as well.

Now, obviously those first round losses are bad, but the one Round of 32 loss was arguably a road game and not the normal 7 over a 2 (and that South Carolina team ended up in the Final 4 too!).  All the others were pretty understandable losses.  I think this "Duke is always overrated and flames out early" is overstated.  Every Blue Blood school has notable early flameouts.  They're notable and we remember them BECAUSE they're royalty.  Upsets against great programs, but not blue bloods aren't remembered as much.  Virginia/UMBC will because it was a 1/16/  But there have been several 15s over 2s, but we only remember one or two of them (including Duke's).

The numbers are there. Understandable losses or not, the fact of the matter is he has underachieved since 2011 so at this point, he will do anything to save face. 

• Downvote 1

Since the WKU/UAB game is about to start, I'm not gonna do research at the moment on Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Louisville, Connecticut, or name your nominees for Blue Blood status, but I'm sure all of them have at least one or two losses in there they shouldn't have.

Duke has three at most.  That's about 33% - which isn't great, but it's not some notorious trend either.

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Don't care. I've given evidence, pointed out where to find it, etc. I know I'm right so if you don't, ignorance is bliss

I've read the quotes.  I've seen the articles.  That's your evidence, right?

This all began (for me) when you stated "I'm not buying it." Really, all this back and forth isn't about the evidence.  It's about your belief about K's character, and not trusting what he says.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1