Duke’s Season is over

Big Z

Given how bad Duke was this season, this is absolutely a cop out by Coach K to have an asterisk on not making the tournament this year by saying they were out due to Covid and not knocked out because they are hot garbage. His fragile ego can't take it. The constant excuses he's been making all season and saying every team in the country should make the tournament backs this up. Coach K has really been on one this year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

14 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Given how bad Duke was this season, this is absolutely a cop out by Coach K to have an asterisk on not making the tournament this year by saying they were out due to Covid and not knocked out because they are hot garbage. His fragile ego can't take it. The constant excuses he's been making all season and saying every team in the country should make the tournament backs this up. Coach K has really been on one this year. 

A LT fan took this same leap in logic on us when our WKU series was canceled, because I think it [the cancelation] mathematically gave us a potential edge over the Bulldogs in the West standings.

It's sports smack that is usually wrong.  I think Coach K is a lot like Grant: they want to compete, not find excuses to not play.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

A LT fan took this same leap in logic on us when our WKU series was canceled, because I think it [the cancelation] mathematically gave us a potential edge over the Bulldogs in the West standings.

It's sports smack that is usually wrong.  I think Coach K is a lot like Grant: they want to compete, not find excuses to not play.

I don't buy it. Before the season even started Coach K wrote a signed statement saying all 357 DI teams should make the tournament. Then after the first 4 games of the season where they got beat by Michigan State and curb stomped Illinois, he issues a statement basically saying he wanted to end the season because he "didn't feel safe" because of Covid. He the goes and cancels their out of conference game against Gardner-Webb, and finally concluded the season by saying he feels that everyone in their conference tournament should make the NCAA tournament. This all before the hammer finally dropped and they got Covided out of playing the rest of the season. 

So basically, Coach K goes the entire season saying either Duke makes the tournament or he wants to cancel their season which they eventually do. Anything to secure his reputation at the expense of an ACC tournament experience for his players. The guy is insufferable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

37 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I don't buy it. Before the season even started Coach K wrote a signed statement saying all 357 DI teams should make the tournament. Then after the first 4 games of the season where they got beat by Michigan State and curb stomped Illinois, he issues a statement basically saying he wanted to end the season because he "didn't feel safe" because of Covid. He the goes and cancels their out of conference game against Gardner-Webb, and finally concluded the season by saying he feels that everyone in their conference tournament should make the NCAA tournament. This all before the hammer finally dropped and they got Covided out of playing the rest of the season. 

So basically, Coach K goes the entire season saying either Duke makes the tournament or he wants to cancel their season which they eventually do. Anything to secure his reputation at the expense of an ACC tournament experience for his players. The guy is insufferable. 

The college basketball season opened basically at the start of a huge upsurge in cases and deaths and the man is in his mid 70's (e.g. in an age group with a way higher chance of death).  The NCAA tournament being opened up is a thing he's long argued for.  I remember about ten years ago he said the NIT should be ended and those 32 teams be included in the NCAA tournament.

The idea that everyone is already in the NCAA Tournament is actually sorta true though.  You can have a losing record in your league, but if you win your conference tournament, you're in the "Big Dance."  I remember when I was in pretty young (maybe '89-90 or so, perhaps 6/7th grade?), NT had like a 5 win regular season, but almost made the NCAAs, because we got hot at the end.  We lost in the Final of the old Southland Conference.  But if a 5 win team from a bottom tier league can somehow theoretically get hot and win like ten straight - you could be crowned National Champs.

So....all these little dances kinda are like the beginning of the Big Dace -- some (the top 30 or so) schools just have double elimination.

Edited by CMJ

41 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Your anti-Coach K readings are redlining.

I’d like to see these quotes and the context of the entire article(s). If I had to guess, I think what I end up taking out of them would be pretty different than what you’re saying.

TLDR; don’t bother sending the articles. I can tell you’re determined to hate Duke/Coach K and nothing I’d say would change that.

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Your anti-Coach K readings are redlining.

I’d like to see these quotes and the context of the entire article(s). If I had to guess, I think what I end up taking out of them would be pretty different than what you’re saying.

TLDR; don’t bother sending the articles. I can tell you’re determined to hate Duke/Coach K and nothing I’d say would change that.

No redlining. Actions speak louder than words. A quick Google search will show you the articles you don't want me to send to support an argument. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

So one of the classiest ambassadors college sports (not just college basketball) has ever seen is an evil genius...all of a sudden?  

Ummmm ok 🙄

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So one of the classiest ambassadors college sports (not just college basketball) has ever seen is an evil genius...all of a sudden?  

Ummmm ok 🙄

Yeah, figured most of you old heads on this board would think that clown is "classy". And nothing about being an evil genius, he's literally making excuses for his quitting to save his reputation and y'all just eat it up. Really wonder what your definition of a genius is

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

K played ball for a service academy and has coached our Olympic teams.  The way he has represented this sport and the game will be up there with Wooden.  The fact that you think he's a ball of sleeze just tells me how we are wired so differently.  Would be curious to know who you think is a model coach.

Calipari. Buzz Williams.  Those are the clowns to me.  Coach K isn't perfect, but he's not them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yeah, figured most of you old heads on this board would think that clown is "classy". And nothing about being an evil genius, he's literally making excuses for his quitting to save his reputation and y'all just eat it up. Really wonder what your definition of a genius is

I’m not sure how I’m supposed to respond here...tell you get off my lawn, or challenge you to a tik tok dance off to show how hip I am.  

Back in my day we did the gentlemanly thing and dueled at midnight.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, CMJ said:

Someone whose won 5 national titles and is the all time game winner qualifies.

Adolf Rupp won 876 games in his career and is one of the winningest coaches in college basketball history but he was also a known racist. You think people are calling him "classy" just because he won?

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I’m not sure how I’m supposed to respond here...tell you get off my lawn, or challenge you to a tik tok dance off to show how hip I am.  

Back in my day we did the gentlemanly thing and dueled at midnight.  

You could respond by acknowledging the exaggerated nature of your response and admit that what I've said true. Your constant deflection and exaggeration are not lost on me and are clear signs of someone out of ideas. 

That would probably be your only hope right now because you have nothing else to come with. Once again, clear exaggeration on your part but I'll play along since have nothing else.

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

29 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Adolf Rupp won 876 games in his career and is one of the winningest coaches in college basketball history but he was also a known racist. You think people are calling him "classy" just because he won?

I never called K classy (though he is) - I was responding to your what classifies as a basketball genius remark.

59 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I never called K classy (though he is) - I was responding to your what classifies as a basketball genius remark.

The crux of the argument is that you think that Coach K is a win at all costs, brilliant head basketball coach. I'm saying he is pompous and egotistical that hasn't done anything since 2015, who still thinks he is above the game and the rules should be bent for him. He wins, the rules are great as they are. He starts losing, he makes excuses and thinks the rules should be bent, accordingly. Emmitt de-railed this discussion with the overly exaggerated, snarky remarks. 

• Eye Roll 1

I mean, what does he hasn't done anything since 2015 even mean?  He hasn't won a title?  It's only been six freaking years.  He has gotten to some Elite 8s since then I believe.  If the only standard is National Title or bust, not many programs have done better than his the last six years.

What great coach isn't to some degree egotistical?  He's also incredibly classy.  He's been known to go into the visiting locker room after being upset in the tournament to congratulate the kids that just beat him.  Not many guys are big enough to do that.

9 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I mean, what does he hasn't done anything since 2015 even mean?  He hasn't won a title?  It's only been six freaking years.  He has gotten to some Elite 8s since then I believe.  If the only standard is National Title or bust, not many programs have done better than his the last six years.

What great coach isn't to some degree egotistical?  He's also incredibly classy.  He's been known to go into the visiting locker room after being upset in the tournament to congratulate the kids that just beat him.  Not many guys are big enough to do that.

It means he has taken overrated 1 and 2 seed teams into the tournament just to get "upset" in the first or second rounds. Of course many coaches are going to be egotistical, but hardly any of them make excuses for when things don't go their way or try to bend the system to fit their situation like him. 

Look, I can go at this all day and we can go down the rabbit hole so I am concluding with my base point which is that Duke's season being over now is absolutely a cop out by Coach K to use Covid as an excuse for his garbage team not making the tournament this year. He's had that excuse primed and ready to go all season as the examples above have shown. 

So, every 1 or 2 seed that gets upset early is overrated now?  Was Virginia overrated when they lost in the First Round as a 1 seed in 2018?  The first time that ever happened!  They win the title the following year, so I'd argue not.  Crap happens in March.  It just shows what a crap shoot the Tournament is. 

Coach K could have cut out weeks ago if he wanted to save face the way you're accusing.  Hell, their women's team did!  Obviously he wanted to get in the field.  This wasn't "an excuse."  Chances are they would have lost to Florida State, but given a win there might have put them in the field, I am dubious (at best) they made the whole thing up to duck the Seminoles. 

You're a Kansas fan, right?  All the blue blood fan bases accuse each other of all sorts of nefarious stuff.  I see it all the time.  Everyone hates everyone.

The only Blue Blood school I absolutely despise is Kentucky.  They've been a renegade program as far as I'm concerned since at least as far back as Sutton...and that was really before my time!  All the other royalty might chap me at times, and I might root against them, but I at least respect them.  Self is a great guy IMHO.  How Duke became the face of everything wrong with college basketball to so many is beyond me when there's always Kentucky to look at.  

Edited by CMJ

15 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

It means he has taken overrated 1 and 2 seed teams into the tournament just to get "upset" in the first or second rounds. Of course many coaches are going to be egotistical, but hardly any of them make excuses for when things don't go their way or try to bend the system to fit their situation like him. 

Most coaches complain when the system works against them.  As far as seedings and being overrated, I think if anything that has to do with a media bias.

Look, I can go at this all day and we can go down the rabbit hole so I am concluding with my base point which is that Duke's season being over now is absolutely a cop out by Coach K to use Covid as an excuse for his garbage team not making the tournament this year. He's had that excuse primed and ready to go all season as the examples above have shown.

One of the frames I’ve tried is, would we be thinking differently of this coach if it were anyone else saying the exact same thing? What would Coach K have to say for you to believe him? Bottom line is, I think there’s nothing he could have said for you to buy it. I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me to know if you’re surrounded by KU fans that are programming your view.

you’re allowed to not trust him but, considering the intense optics that are always focused on Duke and his program, he handles it about as good as you could hope for.

if I’ve driven anyone away from this board, then I would apologize.

i still am curious to know who among the Blue Bloods is a good coach to you.

Edited by greenminer

18 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Apples and oranges, Virginia is a projected automatic qualifier into the NCAA tournament and still the 16th ranked team in the country. Duke is having a garbage year and K is trying to save face