On 3/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, SilverEagle said:

Here's my question. When did the line "for we know our University is forever in the right", get changed to "striving for the right"?  Because when I first attended North Texas games in the 60's everyone was singing "forever in the right". 

Who authorized the change and what was the rationalization?

I seem to remember, "striving" but who knows...down the corridor of years, I've had one too many beers.

As far as authorizing anything at North Texas, who knows about that either.  There was not a vote when we went from Eagles to Mean Green and I don't recall anyone asking if they could add black as an official color.  These things just seem to happen.

And it is just not us either. Va Tech was known as VPI for most of its long history. Their nickname was the Gobblers with a secondary name of the Hokies.  A football coach arrived and decided he didn't like either of these and so the school began referring to itself as Va Tech and the Hokies just like that!

30 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I seem to remember, "striving" but who knows...down the corridor of years, I've had one too many beers.

As far as authorizing anything at North Texas, who knows about that either.  There was not a vote when we went from Eagles to Mean Green and I don't recall anyone asking if they could add black as an official color.  These things just seem to happen.

And it is just not us either. Va Tech was known as VPI for most of its long history. Their nickname was the Gobblers with a secondary name of the Hokies.  A football coach arrived and decided he didn't like either of these and so the school began referring to itself as Va Tech and the Hokies just like that!

The same thing happened when Hayden Fry arrived. In his quest to change our "losing culture", he changed the shade of green that the sports teams wore, adopted a "stylized" Eagle as the official logo, and emphasized "Mean Green" over Eagles.....which were part of the old "losing mentality" that he was trying to change.  He was unfairly and wrongly accused of getting rid of the Eagle as our mascot.......not true.  Here it is......

image.png.b9801652d6206f501f62de452d49389d.png 

• Upvote 1

Somewhere in this whole asinine argument is the Golden Rule. Question: So, if someone, who in their heart of hearts, is not racist, but attended UT and loves that school with all their heart, as we love our school, and sang Eyes of Texas at every opportunity without knowing it's "history," are they racist?  Or, are they just judged as racist? As I stated before, racism is in the eye of the beholder.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

13 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Somewhere in this whole asinine argument is the Golden Rule. Question: So, if someone, who in their heart of hearts, is not racist, but attended UT and loves that school with all their heart, as we love our school, and sang Eyes of Texas at every opportunity without knowing it's "history," are they racist?  Or, are they just judged as racist? As I stated before, racism is in the eye of the beholder.

I wouldn't want my race dragged around in "historical heritage," so I am doing unto others as I would want done to me. That is the "Golden Rule." Not sure which rule you are talking about... 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

BTW, my golden rule is, "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." Not sure how else you can interpret that. 

That's pretty much what I said - let me phrase it for you again. I don't drag other races down with historical heritage (or college memories of minstrel jams), because I wouldn't want others to do that to me.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Downvote 1

As for your interpretation of my "anger and hate" - that is all on you man. All in how you cast my voice in your brain. I don't insult people personally or call anyone names. Never have as far as I can recall. I didn't call you out personally in commentary - don't see why you always feel the need to try and call me out. I think you enjoy the angry narrative you have created for me. 

My life is very happy. I have a successful life and a happy family. There is no anger in my tone.

Some annoyances? Sure. I do get annoyed when the obvious isn't obvious. Like this one, the music is offensive, some people wanted it put to pasture... much like those Tarbaby cartoons that were around in my childhood. Some people really still love the Tarbaby. I get it.  There's no anger.  I have not called any Tarbaby or minstrel music fan a racist. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

As for your interpretation of my "anger and hate" - that is all on you man. All in how you cast my voice in your brain. I don't insult people personally or call anyone names. Never have as far as I can recall. I didn't call you out personally in commentary - don't see why you always feel the need to try and call me out. I think you enjoy the angry narrative you have created for me. 

My life is very happy. I have a successful life and a happy family. There is no anger in my tone.

Some annoyances? Sure. I do get annoyed when the obvious isn't obvious. Like this one, the music is offensive, some people wanted it put to pasture... much like those Tarbaby cartoons that were around in my childhood. Some people really still love the Tarbaby. I get it.  There's no anger.  I have not called any Tarbaby or minstrel music fan a racist. 

I guess it's the fact that your comments constantly rale on the racist side of things. I never detect any positivity from you and it's always negative. Tarbaby's?? Really? Who ever thinks of that? Let's see. Amos and Andy. Hasn't even crossed my mind until now. And that's my point. Most  people don't dwell on these thing until someone like you brings it up. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

I guess it's the fact that your comments constantly rale on the racist side of things. I never detect any positivity from you and it's always negative. Tarbaby's?? Really? Who ever thinks of that? Let's see. Amos and Andy. Hasn't even crossed my mind until now. And that's my point. Most  people don't dwell on these thing until someone like you brings it up. 

If you don't think minstrel music and tarbabies belong in the same conversation - I really have no way of connecting the dots for you.  I don't know who Amos and Andy are. I don't l know what "rale" is either. I don't recall starting this thread - that by the way - is explicitly talking about minstrel music and race. I did not bring it up. Somehow me having the audacity to comment in the thread fits your angry SWB narrative that you have invented. 

But when the topic of race is the (um) TOPIC OF THE THREAD, it is appropriate to talk about it. 
When talking about your favorite doctor youtuber, I did not bring up race. When talking about vaccines, I don't bring up race.. It's really confusing.

Is it the color of the man in my avatar that makes you get defensive and think I am playing the race card? This is curious. 

I don't think this is about me though. When the topic of race comes up, even in the appropriate context (as in this thread), you see it as anger. That is on you. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

If you don't think minstrel music and tarbabies belong in the same conversation - I really have no way of connecting the dots for you.  I don't know who Amos and Andy are. I don't l know what "rale" is either. I don't recall starting this thread - that by the way - is explicitly talking about minstrel music and race. I did not bring it up. Somehow me having the audacity to comment in the thread fits your angry SWB narrative that you have invented. 

But when the topic of race is the (um) TOPIC OF THE THREAD, it is appropriate to talk about it. 
When talking about your favorite doctor youtuber, I did not bring up race. When talking about vaccines, I don't bring up race.. It's really confusing.

Is it the color of the man in my avatar that makes you get defensive and think I am playing the race card? This is curious. 

I don't think this is about me though. When the topic of race comes up, even in the appropriate context (as in this thread), you see it as anger. That is on you. 

Deflecting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 3

As an old pastor of mine once said, there is no such thing as Christian music.  There are Christian lyrics and they can be put to any type of music.  Point being, if you dig deep enough you will find something about almost everything that makes someone upset.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

As an old pastor of mine once said, there is no such thing as Christian music.  There are Christian lyrics and they can be put to any type of music.  Point being, if you dig deep enough you will find something about almost everything that makes someone upset.

Oh, Lifer! Stop trying to be reasonable! 😆

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

No need to connect the dots. I get it. Google Amos and Andy sometime. On second thought, don't. 

It's funny, I thought the topic of the thread was "the Eyes of Texas" and whether or not it is racist. Just goes to show how things are interpreted. You see it as racist. I don't.

Don't know what SWB is.

Never really looked closely at your avatar. Is that you, or someone you wish you were?

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

No need to connect the dots. I get it. Google Amos and Andy sometime. On second thought, don't. 

It's funny, I thought the topic of the thread was "the Eyes of Texas" and whether or not it is racist. Just goes to show how things are interpreted. You see it as racist. I don't.

Don't know what SWB is.

Never really looked closely at your avatar. Is that you, or someone you wish you were?

Hey, SWB! On a lighter note (as I grow weary of arguing with you, as I'm sure anyone reading is too) this makes me think of a name my wife calls me when we are having a disagreement. She calls me "last word Charlie!" I think you and I both fit that description!

Peace out.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 3/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, Hunter Green said:

That is your interpretation. It's sad that you are so jaded about your existence and race (I have no idea what your race is, not do I care) that you can't, or maybe refuse, to see things just on face value. Instead, you want to inject anger, and dare I say hate, into every argument no matter the motivation. You come across, to me anyway, as a very unhappy man. If your looking for racism, perhaps you should look in the mirror. Sad indeed.

Ah good, we're back to the good ole days of this forum where we're playing psychoanalyst and insulting one another. Tell us more about SWB bringing race into a thread specifically about the racial issues behind UT's alma mater. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3