Mean Green Moments

jdennis82

The NBA Top Shot craze has me thinking, if a similar marketplace existed for "Mean Green Moments", what would be your most coveted item?

Many to choose from but the clear and obvious choice took place 9.6/2003 during my first semester in Denton and my first game at Fouts...

image.png.24c056ca4b9b04069d5f9bd101817475.png

Source: https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=232490249

What about you guys?

• Upvote 1

I think the entire KSU/UNT game for the Fouts finale was a "Top Shot" situation. 

49-41 loss.
We only had 16 first downs for 459 yards of offense. 
298 yards rushing, with a 9.0 yard average.  Dunbar averaged over 12 yards a carry.

At one point we returned a kickoff 90+ yards for a TD - then KSU did the same on the next kickoff. 

Riley Dodge ended up being taken off the field on stretcher and went directly to the hospital. 

Just insanity. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5

The Stand

The Drive

Miracle in the Desert

Idaho win in the Kibbie Dome at the Loophole (believe that was the bar name)

Tech both times

Peter Pan

Oregon State

Nevada rain game win

Texas the non catch

Bourbon Street 5x

Cincy

UNLV

shellacking of smu and baylor

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Deon Hunter's miracle layup to beat Northeast Louisiana and propel us to the first NCAA appearance ever by North Texas.  By the way, if we had not gone to the NCAA tournament in 1988 North Texas State would never have been listed in the history of the tournament.  We changed the name to University of North Texas in May after the basketball season.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1968 in El Paso.  After their long drive, we hold the Miners to a game tying FG, then march the length of the field and with two seconds left on the clock Bernie Barbour kicked a 24-yard field goal, the first FG of his career, to give the Eagles a 34-31 victory.

or

In 1969 we're down 30-7 at the half in Cincinnati in the rain and mud, shut down the Bearcats and score three TDs in the third quarter, including a record 91-yarder from Ramsey to Shanklin.  Then with 1:25 remaining and still down 31-28, that same Bernie Barbour kicks a FG and the Mean Green come away with a 31-30 road victory.  And there were more...

You want to who the real "Ice Man" of NT was...Bernie Barbour. We loved that guy!

Bernie Barbour0001.jpg

• Upvote 6

On 3/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, Eagle71 said:

1968 in El Paso.  After their long drive, we hold the Miners to a game tying FG, then march the length of the field and with two seconds left on the clock Bernie Barbour kicked a 24-yard field goal, the first FG of his career, to give the Eagles a 34-31 victory.

or

In 1969 we're down 30-7 at the half in Cincinnati in the rain and mud, shut down the Bearcats and score three TDs in the third quarter, including a record 91-yarder from Ramsey to Shanklin.  Then with 1:25 remaining and still down 31-28, that same Bernie Barbour kicks a FG and the Mean Green come away with a 31-30 road victory.  And there were more...

You want to who the real "Ice Man" of NT was...Bernie Barbour. We loved that guy!

Bernie Barbour0001.jpg

Remember that Cincinnati game well, they would have never let them play in that storm now. 

Ramsey seems to like to throw in the rain and lighting and lead maybe the greatest NT comeback ever

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I think there were a couple of basketball references in this list. Which means we have to add that Win over Western Kentucky in Frisco to this proud trip down memory lane. Last years win over Western in the Super Pit and last nights awesomeness had some similar feelings in retrospect. This entire run of 4 wins over many of the beasts in our league was epic.

Still on a St. Patty’s Day Mean Green beer high from last night. Great night!

GMG

• Upvote 5

I marched during the 2001 season.  Season of 9/11.  Half time shows were filled with special performances.

1) Green Brigade joined the TTech Red Raider band in half to play an incredible arrangement of American The Beautiful.  It was difficult to play because I was bawling.

2) Same season.  NO Bowl half time show, we joined the Ram Marching Band to hold up the U.S.-shaped American flag.  Same one used in Super Bowls.

• Upvote 3

On 3/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, Eagle71 said:

or

Bernie Barbour0001.jpg

Damn! I haven't seen a shoe tied off like that, to kick a field goal/extra point in decades. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I have never seen that! I didn't know that existed... wow. 

It was pretty standard procedure for traditional (straight on) kickers. Especially if the guy kicking played another position......like Bernie Barbour who played DB. Soccer style kicking eliminated  the need for it. 

This reminds me, the great WR John Love used to kick the extra points and occasional FG's.  To this day, he is the only black player that I ever saw kick extra points/FG's.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Andy Blount grabbing a rebound off a missed free throw, racing to the other end of the court for a dunk, celebrating...all before realizing the foul shooter was still due another shot. 

I was there. Oh man! Haven't thought of that in years. lol