Fall football seating capacity

13 hours ago, THOR said:

...but my personaly experience has shown nothing out of the ordinary.

And that is exactly point - I don't understand why people are so up in arms about a mask.  In my house, I don't wear shoes or socks. Ever. I walk in the park barefoot. When it snowed, I was outside walking barefoot in the snow to the trashcans. My wife says I have pandemic feet. Like I am a HOBO on a train in the great depression. HOWEVER - I am not up in Trader Joe's actin' a fool ranting about Nazis and freedoms because they make me wear shoes for "sanitary reasons."  Right, like SHOES are cleaner? At least my feet see a shower every day. I never wash my shoes. 

@THORThis virus definitely affects certain demographics harder and some people just have bad luck. My nanny has lost five family members. My very good friend lost both of her parents. Our other friend's dad has been in and out of rehab centers since Octobers and keeps having pulmonary set backs. My best friend's wife lost her aunt. My brother in law's best friend's mother died of covid two weeks after coming over for a NYE dinner. I can look around and see a lot of people dead before their time and not directly because of their actions (like smoking/cancer or drunk driving). However, if you look at my direct family, my uncle had it, but recovered then ultimately died of something else... but no one directly in my line. So sure, not much has changed in my life. Yet, it is is not hard to look around and see a lot of pain and carnage.  I don't question your intentions - I know you are good dude. But it is a real heavy hitter here, more than just "people die." 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, THOR said:

my life has not changed since the covid shit last march...went to bars every day they were open, went out ever day, went to all 7 games this year, wore a mask if asked, 2 kids and wife got covid, nothing changed for us...i truly don't know what to make of this....is it that deadly and abnormal to something else? i dont know..people die, life sucks, but my personaly experience has shown nothing out of the ordinary.

tomorrow, mask mandate goes away...if i don't have to wear it to go somewhere, i won't

Not sure you understand how herd immunity works.  If you have two viruses, say FLU-A and FLU-B, with identical mortality and hospitality rates, but one has been in rotation for many seasons (established herd immunity) and the other is completely novel, the difference they have on the community (healthcare/economy, etc) is staggering.

When one is immune (either natural immunity or from a vaccine), you don't just NOT get sick, you are no longer a point of transmission.  I don't believe many people understand that or how it can exponentially impact our population.

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/HERD IMMUNITY (EXPLAINER)/gjnvwayydvw/

1972022123_ScreenShot2021-03-09at9_38_02PM.png.a29989e5120e18be5b9b89f19ef4fed7.png

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

And that is exactly point - I don't understand why people are so up in arms about a mask.  In my house, I don't wear shoes or socks. Ever. I walk in the park barefoot. When it snowed, I was outside walking baraefoot in the snow to the trashcans. My wife says I have pandemic feet. Like I am I HOBO on a train in the great depression. HOWEVER - I am not up and Trader Joe's actin' a fool ranting about Nazis and freedoms because they make me wear shoes for "sanitary reasons."  Right, like SHOES are cleaner? At least my feet see a shower every day. I never wash my shoes.

Hahaha, this is now my favorite thing you’ve ever said on here and you make a really valid point. Well done.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I don't think the virus has a political affiliation.  

To act as though the virus is not a political hot button is disingenuous at best.  Though I will agree with SteaminWillie that, thankfully, this particular thread has not really gone in that direction.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, THOR said:

my life has not changed since the covid shit last march...went to bars every day they were open, went out ever day, went to all 7 games this year, wore a mask if asked, 2 kids and wife got covid, nothing changed for us...i truly don't know what to make of this....is it that deadly and abnormal to something else? i dont know..people die, life sucks, but my personaly experience has shown nothing out of the ordinary.

tomorrow, mask mandate goes away...if i don't have to wear it to go somewhere, i won't

And the people that you all passed the virus to all did fine as well? And what about the ones who got it from them?

The “I was fine” crowd is a big part of why we are still stuck in this cycle. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

To act as though the virus is not a political hot button is disingenuous at best.  Though I will agree with SteaminWillie that, thankfully, this particular thread has not really gone in that direction.

I'd say less the virus itself and more everything around it has been politicized...but I of course understand your point and agree. my statement was made in direct response to someone stating this thread ought be locked because any discussion of the virus/response must be inherently political...which either he didn't actually read this thread or he's just so polarized that he can't comprehend this thread beyond politics. which is sad

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

And the people that you all passed the virus to all did fine as well? And what about the ones who got it from them?

speaking of future longitudinal studies...I hope some day we have the ability and technology to do a real thorough contact-tracing throughout the entire arc of the pandemic so we can quantify exactly how many people those exhibiting that sort of irresponsible and selfish behavior actually ended up killing. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

China is manipulating their weather. How bout we true citizens of America just arrange for another crippling winter storm when we enter the next pandemic?

that thing will keep people locked up better than any health crisis. No government mandates necessary!

Edited by greenminer

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

speaking of future longitudinal studies...I hope some day we have the ability and technology to do a real thorough contact-tracing throughout the entire arc of the pandemic so we can quantify exactly how many people those exhibiting that sort of irresponsible and selfish behavior actually ended up killing. 

Well hold on now, you can’t put ALL the blame on the guy. I mean, it isn’t like he was busting in people’s houses and breathing on them. You’d have to look at it kind of like a car wreck where the insurance companies divide up the fault.

Now that I'm out of Steamboat Willies GMG purgatory, I find it amusing that this whole discussion was made because of a video from two MD's who have studied this disease and who I feel made coherent points, albeit different from ol SBW. I never advocated wearing or not wearing a mask and don't, or never assigned blame to anyone, except the Chinese government. My original statement regarding attendance and whether or not I will purchase season tickets is a reflection of me having to deal with this disease on a professional level and it's effect on me personally. I too had Covid back in November and thank God, I recovered without hospitalization. I've seen many people die from it and I've seen many more get better and go home. I wore many layers of PPE at work and yet, still contracted it. Even when out in public, I wore my mask like a good soldier. My true feeling is that I am just tired both physically from the daily care of these poor folks and from the mental strain as well. One of the few outlets I have aside from my family and friends, is attending UNT sporting events. I just long for a return to normalcy.  Whether it happens or not, I guess we'll see. If I'm asked to wear a mask, then I'll wear a mask. The really sad thing is, if a differing point of view is presented, it's attacked as irresponsible and reckless. If I'm labeled as a neanderthal, so be it. So to think this topic isn't political is a joke. The whole issue became political as soon as this disease hit our shores. Perhaps we'll return to a United front someday, but as this whole thread has demonstrated, it's doubtful.

At any rate, let's cheer our team to victory tonight.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, 97and03 said:

who says i passed it to anyone?  no one knows if i did or did not.  it's all speculation, but the hardcore maskers assume that if you don't wear one, you are killing others.  no one knows for a fact.  i wore one when required.  i wear it every day at school.  don't give me the "i'm killing people and spreading the virus" when you don't know...i don't know...no one knows.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, THOR said:

who says i passed it to anyone?  no one knows if i did or did not.  it's all speculation, but the hardcore maskers assume that if you don't wear one, you are killing others.  no one knows for a fact.  i wore one when required.  i wear it every day at school.  don't give me the "i'm killing people and spreading the virus" when you don't know...i don't know...no one knows.

Not trying to pick on you but you spoke up so responding to that. You really made my point above. I don’t know and you don’t know if you passed it along. Chances are pretty decent that you did given the spread of the virus in Texas and the US in general.  It’s a pretty prolific little virus. Hopefully you didn’t. And sorry that your family got it - and I should have said that in the first place. 

3 hours ago, THOR said:

yikes.  bad take.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

The really sad thing is, if a differing point of view is presented, it's attacked as irresponsible and reckless. If I'm labeled as a neanderthal, so be it. So to think this topic isn't political is a joke.

The whole "differing point of view" argument is a strawman. You put up some opinion, it is out there to be judged, that is normal. If I told you that the moon is cheese and people used to believe that before, you know, science - and it is still a valid opinion to have. Well - I will get some kick back on that opinion. No one has labeled you a neanderthal though. I commented on your video because you didn't add any commentary on it. It was 45 minutes long - so if you expect people to watch the whole thing and come to same conclusion as you - that wasn't going to happen. I merely asked you if you were going to post the videos in support of masks and vaccines. Apparently that question was too serious for you. Too doom and gloom. 

It's only political with you, because you can't seem to keep politics out of it. No one has even mentioned your political leanings and taken potshots at it. On the other hand, you can't seem to refrain from name calling (oh so clever nicknames, such comedy) and using current political loaded words (neanderthal!) or cracking jokes about the current president.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The whole "differing point of view" argument is a strawman. You put up some opinion, it is out there to be judged, that is normal. If I told you that the moon is cheese and people used to believe that before, you know, science - and it is still a valid opinion to have. Well - I will get some kick back on that opinion. No one has labeled you a neanderthal though. I commented on your video because you didn't add any commentary on it. It was 45 minutes long - so if you expect people to watch the whole thing and come to same conclusion as you - that wasn't going to happen. I merely asked you if you were going to post the videos in support of masks and vaccines. Apparently that question was too serious for you. Too doom and gloom. 

It's only political with you, because you can't seem to keep politics out of it. No one has even mentioned your political leanings and taken potshots at it. On the other hand, you can't seem to refrain from name calling (oh so clever nicknames, such comedy) and using current political loaded words (neanderthal!) or cracking jokes about the current president.  

With all due respect the "strawman" reply is getting old. You go after people who do not share your opinion and then go with the "your this or your that". This post, like MANY others is political; like many things because society has politicized most everything. Political post seem to stay alive on this board when they fit the Mods point of views or make fun of the "right" party. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With all due respect the "strawman" reply is getting old. You go after people who do not share your opinion and then go with the "your this or your that". This post, like MANY others is political; like many things because society has politicized most everything. Political post seem to stay alive on this board when they fit the Mods point of views or make fun of the "right" party. 

I agree, the strawman arguments are getting old. Very old. 

Do not read the thread if you can't look at it without your political readers on.

Quit complaining about mods. Snowflakes all around. I think the "WHOA IS ME!! I AM SO OPPRESSED!!!!" posts are getting old.  Where has the 'right' been made fun of here in this thread? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I agree, the strawman arguments are getting old. Very old. 

Do not read the thread if you can't look at it without your political readers on.

Quit complaining about mods. Snowflakes all around. I think the "WHOA IS ME!! I AM SO OPPRESSED!!!!" posts are getting old.  Where has the 'right' been made fun of here in this thread? 

How dare someone complain about the all-mighty mods. Maybe if the mods are going to sit in judgement they should be a little more hesitant in pushing their views

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

How dare someone complain about the all-mighty mods. Maybe if the mods are going to sit in judgement they should be a little more hesitant in pushing their views

"Pushing views" in your mind is the same as sharing opinions/facts/experiences or participating in topics? Maybe you would prefer the mods create alt-accounts and only use those to enforce actions - therefore you would never know who to target your "poor oppressed right" cries? Sure - we can do that. I don't see what it buys. 

If the point of your complaining to manufacture oppression by the mere suggestion of it - then sure. I guess that can happen. I will lock this thread because you and Hunter Green can't seem to keep your politics out of your science.

Again - where in this whole thread has the 'right side' been a target?  You can go 'report' those posts... they will be taken care of. I don't read every topic. Sometimes I go a week or more without logging in. But the 'reports' are taken care of almost immediately - @UNTLifer is very good at reporting - and those posts get taken care of pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1