Fall football seating capacity

29 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

That's not what was asked. The two weeks was to try to flatten the curve with extreme lockdowns of public spaces. Masks were always asked and had no timeline. 

Maybe not two weeks, but...

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/14/if-everyone-wore-mask-covid19-could-be-controlled-cdc-director-urges/

"Redfield told a JAMA Live webcast Tuesday, “If we could get everybody to wear a mask right now, I really think in the next four, six, eight weeks, we could bring this epidemic under control."

Totally different from what our infectious disease expert said a few weeks prior.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I think they should have gone all-in on masks early and hesitating was a mistake. It would have taken more decisive government action to meet our supply deficit, which never really happened. 

That is not what Dr. Fauci told us to do early.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Come on Lifer, MD. He has corrected himself on what he meant, what he has learned about the virus and all of that. That is a good human quality - to learn and admit mistakes. I applaud it. We keep going through this with your commentary.  I think it is time for you to recognize what he said not too far after that and move on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That is not what Dr. Fauci told us to do early.

I am going full PMG here.  You really are playing with words here... A couple weeks after this he was publicly saying that he was trying to get the WH to have a mask mandate. 

"March 8 - During an interview with 60 Minutes—an interview Trump and his allies cite as an example of when the doctor was wrong—Fauci says "there's no reason to be walking around with a mask,” though adds he’s notagainst masks,” but worried about health care providers and sick people “needing them,” and says masks can lead to “unintended consequences” such as people touching their face when they fiddle with their mask."

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

That March interview with Fauci was probably the biggest blurb in all of last year.  Fauci admitted since then that it was said for concern of mask supply, not mask efficacy, and he deserves all the heat thrown his way for that.

And people are still taking it as biblical, even though we have become so much better about understanding mask efficacy since then.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Fauci admitted since then that it was said for concern of mask supply, not mask efficacy, and he deserves all the heat thrown his way for that.

I stated this on FB months ago, and a vicious anti-masker said, with a couple F bombs, that it is ludicrous and stupid to suggest that mask supply should have anything to do with efficacy/effectiveness.

I wasn't suggesting it was.  I'm saying Fauci made a huge mistake.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Come on Lifer, MD. He has corrected himself on what he meant, what he has learned about the virus and all of that. That is a good human quality - to learn and admit mistakes. I applaud it. We keep going through this with your commentary.  I think it is time for you to recognize what he said not too far after that and move on. 

Come on Doogie.  I know you will disagree with any and everything I state, but as I so clearly pointed out, his comment, or first point, was that the masks wouldn't help protect against the droplets goes against the basic claims of many in the medical community.  His second point was over the supply concern.  The first comment would be concerning since he is as our expert on infectious disease.  Why would he even state that?  Why would he initially tell healthy people to go on cruises?  He shouldn't have to "circle back" and correct himself on the basics.  See the problem there?

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I am going full PMG here.  You really are playing with words here... A couple weeks after this he was publicly saying that he was trying to get the WH to have a mask mandate. 

"March 8 - During an interview with 60 Minutes—an interview Trump and his allies cite as an example of when the doctor was wrong—Fauci says "there's no reason to be walking around with a mask,” though adds he’s notagainst masks,” but worried about health care providers and sick people “needing them,” and says masks can lead to “unintended consequences” such as people touching their face when they fiddle with their mask."

Bullshit.  You left out his first comment from the exact same interview where he said:

"In the clip, Dr Fauci says “There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-fauci-outdated-video-masks/fact-checkoutdated-video-of-fauci-saying-theres-no-reason-to-be-walking-around-with-a-mask-idUSKBN26T2TR

Now who is playing with words?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Bullshit.  You left out his first comment from the exact same interview where he said:

"In the clip, Dr Fauci says “There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-fauci-outdated-video-masks/fact-checkoutdated-video-of-fauci-saying-theres-no-reason-to-be-walking-around-with-a-mask-idUSKBN26T2TR

Now who is playing with words?

this is literally from the article you just linked:

"Fauci’s remarks were made on March 8, 2020 and do not represent his current stance on face coverings nor the updated guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

so is this:

"On April 3, 2020, the CDC updated its previous advice and recommended people wear cloth face coverings “in public settings when around people outside their household, especially when social distancing measures are difficult to maintain."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I don't get why Lifer, MD can't get accept that Fauci capable of making an error and has since corrected it many times over.  Even with the full quote from his article " but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. " - it clearly leaves room that it is not perfect protection. Which, we all know, a non-n95 mask doesn't provides as good of protection. So, you know, that is true too. But  .. Let's just keep  harping on it like it is proof that his whole existence is a lie and he isn't one of the nation's top experts. 

I am very open to being being fallible. It's the human condition. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I don't get why Lifer, MD can't get accept that Fauci capable of making an error and has since corrected it many times over.  

it's this weird anti/opposite scientific method...starting from a conclusion and attempting to back-fill hand-picked bits of evidence, regardless of efficacy, to satisfy a resolute outcome he's unwilling to budge from. 

but, what do I know...I'm just a bartender

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Now hold on a second. Y'all can have a 2 page thread about politics and covid, but I was told that there would be no such thing on this board and to "take it somewhere else" ??? Lol typical of the mods

Um - a pandemic is political? 

Someone told you that you can't talk about the efficacy of masks? 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Now hold on a second. Y'all can have a 2 page thread about politics and covid, but I was told that there would be no such thing on this board and to "take it somewhere else" ??? Lol typical of the mods

I don't think the virus has a political affiliation.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

At the end of the day, come the first game people will have to make their decisions, right or wrong. Will UNT, or other venues have the right to decide if mask are required? If they are not required then people will have to decide. As far I as know I don't think anyone will be forced to attend the game against their will.

• Upvote 4

I do wish there were a case study on two similar groups. One wearing masks, adhering to lockdowns, and behaving in the general manner most of us have for the last year. 

I’d like the second group to have not masked or experienced lockdowns but behaved with the perception that every person in their geographic area was walking around with a cold.

Just for the knowledge it could’ve given us on how much worse things would have been. Maybe a little worse, maybe catastrophically worse, but it would be valuable to know regardless.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I do wish there were a case study on two similar groups. One wearing masks, adhering to lockdowns, and behaving in the general manner most of us have for the last year. 

I’d like the second group to have not masked or experienced lockdowns but behaved with the perception that every person in their geographic area was walking around with a cold.

Just for the knowledge it could’ve given us on how much worse things would have been. Maybe a little worse, maybe catastrophically worse, but it would be valuable to know regardless.

There is some interesting data you can google up for yourself that compares Florida and California on a timeline with lockdowns and masks and how infections rose/didn't rise, etc.  It's interesting, and people have differing views on what the data really suggests.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Who is we? Society in general hasn’t been complying with mask wearing or distancing recommendations. Here, Texas, UK...

The only places that have been effective controlling the virus have taken extreme measures and are either authoritarian or like New Zealand where they have very high faith in government. 
Every single time restrictions are lifted or eased everyone goes friggin’ nuts and hits the bars or tries to act like things are normal. It is time to recognize that normal is a long way away and it gets further away the less people disregard public health needs. 
Another thing to consider to those that aren’t worried about getting it or got it and didn’t have adverse effects: every time someone gets it and passes it along, the chance of mutations increases. That is how we now that the UK, Brazil, and South Africa variations. The SA version is showing some increased vaccine resistance. Last thing we need is to start to get this under control only to have a new variant pop up that renders some or all the vaccines impotent. 

The virus is. Ever going to go away. Do we do this forever??

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The virus is. Ever going to go away. Do we do this forever??

Of course not. For the most part virus strains tend to get less powerful over time and we will/now have vaccines/boosters for the seasonal course of the COVID19 and other COVID21+ strains.

But what is so different right now? My kids are in school. All stores are open, restaurants have seating, Stars are playing with 4000 people in attendance... It isn't so different. This is not torture. It is mostly just an annoyance of a mask. (Aside from 540,000 dead and life expectancy dropped 1.2 years in the past year).  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, LongJim said:

There is some interesting data you can google up for yourself that compares Florida and California on a timeline with lockdowns and masks and how infections rose/didn't rise, etc.  It's interesting, and people have differing views on what the data really suggests.

I hadn't seen that but I’d be concerned about the differing demographics and attitudes between those state skewing the data. I wish they would’ve done a smaller sample, like take some small city with a population of 10k or less. Try to create 2 equal groups of 5k as best you can and see how it plays out. For it to work it would really need to be segregated so you’d need a separate set of an equal number of stores and restaurants for each group. 

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I hadn't seen that but I’d be concerned about the differing demographics and attitudes between those state skewing the data. I wish they would’ve done a smaller sample, like take some small city with a population of 10k or less. Try to create 2 equal groups of 5k as best you can and see how it plays out. For it to work it would really need to be segregated so you’d need a separate set of an equal number of stores and restaurants for each group. 

I bet we'll see this study post pandemic for future pandemics. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

my life has not changed since the covid shit last march...went to bars every day they were open, went out ever day, went to all 7 games this year, wore a mask if asked, 2 kids and wife got covid, nothing changed for us...i truly don't know what to make of this....is it that deadly and abnormal to something else? i dont know..people die, life sucks, but my personaly experience has shown nothing out of the ordinary.

tomorrow, mask mandate goes away...if i don't have to wear it to go somewhere, i won't

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3