UAB (3/6/21)

CMJ

Mcasland might be digging his own grave by not playing the young guys whom he certainly cannot recruit as well anyway. Freshman and sophomores are the life blood of the team and I am unsure if he realize this. With these loses and an early exit in the conference tourney the seniors could leave while younger guys who aren’t getting the minutes transfer out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

At least NT woke up and fought the last 3 minutes.

Can't win with four players.  NT is lucky to have Murray, but there are not many D1 teams that would ever put him on the court.  

The way NT is  playing now, no chance in the CUSA tournament. 

Sad but true.  It’s likely over.

• Eye Roll 1

Some on this board turns on a coach who won a CUSA BB Championship for UNT just last March?  The NIT powers should let UNT  play in their post-season BB tournament later this month that CV-19 prevented from happening last year.

••• And did I hear it correctly that Baylor just won its first conference championship since 1950?

Whoever asked in another thread  where Lew Alcindor was from it was New York City.  I believe he played at a parochial HS, but I stand to be corrected on that part.

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Mcasland might be digging his own grave by not playing the young guys whom he certainly cannot recruit as well anyway. Freshman and sophomores are the life blood of the team and I am unsure if he realize this. With these loses and an early exit in the conference tourney the seniors could leave while younger guys who aren’t getting the minutes transfer out. 

What?? Freshman and sophomores are not the blood of the team right now. We only have 4 of them anyway. Senior leadership wins you games, and I don't know if you know that most freshman aren't going to absolutely explode like AJ and Tony. Mykell is not developed, and it's taken months to get Abou to a solid level as a freshman.

Ridiculous statement 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Andrew said:

I agree with you, I think your argument could have been worded better. To quote another MG member :

"Our bench plus McBride combined to score a whopping 9 points this weekend. 9 points scored by guys not named Hamlet, Reese, Bell, and Simmons. A colossal indictment on our recruiting.

Jahmiah Simmons has taken up a scholarship on our roster for 4 straight years. Wise took up a scholarship the last 3. We have two guys under 6 feet tall who can’t shoot taking up scholarships, which wouldn’t be as bad if they were our 12th and 13th players, but they aren’t.

The only 4 guys on this roster who score are all seniors. Mccasland needs to get real with this roster and stop filling it with guys who can’t shoot, especially when he can’t put these guys on the court because of their lack of offensive ability."

I think Mac has been a great coach thus far, but next year will be tough. He may have left the cupboards bear for next year but I still believe in him 100% to right this ship. However, that could mean we will have to temper expectations for 2022 while he rebuilds. Mac built us a 3 year championship window. Had the NCAA tournament taken place last year, the narrative surrounding this team could have been different.

• Upvote 3

On 3/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, BillySee58 said:

I can’t rationalize some of the things we are doing on the offensive end this year. Why is 5’11” JJ Murray our guy in the middle of the floor in attacking the zone? Same swinging the ball around the perimeter again as well.

Hearing Mccasland talk basketball, he is a really smart guy. I don’t get how these are the decisions he lands on though.

I think he trusts these guys a little too much. This is the worst outside shooting team since he's been here. In the past he could rely on waiting for a good shot and then that person making it. This team doesn't have enough good shooters. It's 4 on 5 most nights and even worse when the bench comes on.

They still play hard, good on defense and know what they are doing so it is at least not annoying to watch, just not a good enough shooting team to play his style.

I still believe in Grant and I'm not writing off the season yet. UAB is a bad matchup for us and it showed our weaknesses. Losing Rubin really hurts but he is going to be a stud next year. Looks like Grant missed on Lewis and McBride but UAB rebuilt with JC and grade transfers. Bell and Hamlet were hits for Grant. Murray having to play so much shows his lack of offense. Don't know if McBride just has lost his confidence or what. The fact he continues to start surprises me. Depending on who comes back, we will be looking hard at the JC/Grad transfers again. Let's stay positive! Go Mean Green! P.S. Zach Simmons please dunk the ball every chance you get!

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I think he trusts these guys a little too much. This is the worst outside shooting team since he's been here. In the past he could rely on waiting for a good shot and then that person making it. This team doesn't have enough good shooters. It's 4 on 5 most nights and even worse when the bench comes on.

They still play hard, good on defense and know what they are doing so it is at least not annoying to watch, just not a good enough shooting team to play his style.

Completely agree. I just don’t understand why he uses scholarships on guys who can’t shoot, then can’t trust those guys on the court because of that. Surrounding Hamlet with Reese, Gibson, Draper, and Smart (to a degree), plus having a potent stretch-four in Bell was lethal last year. We had an incredibly efficient offense because we had an elite penetrator surrounded by plus shooters.

Recruiting has gotten better, but that needs to continue. I’d rather see us go into a season short a guy or two than give those scholarships to guys who will tie up that scholarship for 2-4 years and never become rotation players.

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

What?? Freshman and sophomores are not the blood of the team right now. We only have 4 of them anyway. Senior leadership wins you games, and I don't know if you know that most freshman aren't going to absolutely explode like AJ and Tony. Mykell is not developed, and it's taken months to get Abou to a solid level as a freshman.

Ridiculous statement 

You clearly didn’t understand my statement as it holds true for all sports at the high school and college level. Take away all freshman and you would never have a team (taking it to its ultimate logical end....)

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:04 PM, MeanGreenHoops said:

I tend to agree, but every time this team would try to get in a groove, COVID or weather got in the way. So many situations this year that have really changed this team, and if this was more of a normal year, I don't think we have these conversations.

Hamlet won player and athlete of the year, so naturally the next year it will be even more difficult to produce at an extremely high level than before. Zach's mom had cancer, so of course that brings stress as a son and he struggled for a while trying to find his groove. Players like JJ, Rubin, and others that had small roles last year or are new had to adjust quickly due to COVID and all of the seniors last year. 

Arguably the hardest working team I have seen at NT, and with so many obstacles this year, it is hard to be consistent every game against top end talent that they play.  J

Just my thoughts, and not as much of a quote of your comment, but a general statement that had to do with yours lol

• Upvote 2