DRC: Source -- Petrilli top option to replace Ekeler as UNT's special teams coordinator

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

What is funny/sad - If he gets the job and we have poor Special teams play the same people will be bitching at Seth for the hire 🤣

I don’t think anything can get worse than last years disaster on Special Teams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

All the coaches probably read this board.  They have to get the pulse of the fan base.  If they don't come on hear to "listen", then they are missing an opportunity for improvement.

Well then. My anti-Littrrell job here is done.

He is a fine coach. He ain't a 2mil and private jet coach. No shame there. But if you can't produce then don't expect the pay.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

• 2 weeks later...

So we are kind of hiring but not hiring him? And so if we don’t like how he runs the ST unit we hire someone else after wasting spring ball running the ST unit one way and then starting over in the summer?

I fine with hiring the guy but just hire him and move forward. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

So we are kind of hiring but not hiring him? And so if we don’t like how he runs the ST unit we hire someone else after wasting spring ball running the ST unit one way and then starting over in the summer?

I fine with hiring the guy but just hire him and move forward. 

I don’t think we have ever learned anything about a coordinator during spring practice other than how they interact with players. It isn’t until the regular season when we realize how atrocious a hire was. I hope I have to eat my hat on this but I do not have a good feeling about this “hire“.

34 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think we have ever learned anything about a coordinator during spring practice other than how they interact with players. It isn’t until the regular season when we realize how atrocious a hire was. I hope I have to eat my hat on this but I do not have a good feeling about this “hire“.

What has you worried?

It sounds like the main knock on the guy is that he (may) move up from a "quality control" position to one as a full time assistant, but that seems like a path that a lot of up-and-comers seem to be taking, as indicated here: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-best-young-coaches-30under30-151573416/#151573416_1.

And I believe we hired Graham Harrell as OC and QB coach from a similar background at Washington State. I guess some of us didn't like what we were seeing on the field with him until we got a chance to see his successor at work, who seemed to have the traditional career path to success as an FBS OC, through success in that position at the FCS level.

Has anyone mentioned any other promising candidates for ST coordinator out there at this time?

Edited by eulessismore

1 hour ago, eulessismore said:

It sounds like the main knock on the guy is that he (may) move up from a "quality control" position to one as a full time assistant, but that seems like a path that a lot of up-and-comers seem to be taking, as indicated here: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-best-young-coaches-30under30-151573416/#151573416_1.

And I believe we hired Graham Harrell as OC and QB coach from a similar background at Washington State. I guess some of us didn't like what we were seeing on the field with him until we got a chance to see his successor at work, who seemed to have the traditional career path to success as an FBS OC, through success in that position at the FCS level.

Has anyone mentioned any other promising candidates for ST coordinator out there at this time?

Not QC to full time assistant. QC to de facto coordinator. That is my biggest problem. If they named him safeties coach or something I’d have less concern.

• Upvote 1