Portal WR Tommy Bush - UGa

97and03

On 3/3/2021 at 12:50 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all...  this guy has only played in 3 games his entire career (3 seasons).   1 catch for 1 yard in an absolute blowout VS GATech.   

At some point, you have to stop looking at High School "stars", and start looking at production against peer institutions.   If he comes here, he's got his work cut out for him because Shorter & Simpson are legit, and I think Loronzo Thompson is going to come back to the offensive side this season and tear it up.

At some point, you also need to look at the school the kids are coming from.  The Stars and offer lists are indicators of ability, talent, and projectibility.  Typically the higher the rating the more exposure they got at camps etc on top of which schools offered.  The kid went to Georgia who can go out and get a kid as good or better than him every single year and not bat an eye.  The kid had a tough road to battle just to get on the field!  What I am more impressed with is the fact that in 3 years the kid graduated (while not getting to play the sport that he has been the best at, on whatever team he played on his entire life).  I have no doubt he will come in and be a guy for us.   

He is the perfect example of why the portal can be beneficial to G5 schools.  Get a kid who would never consider UNT out of HS, who has the talent to help you win games after they don't get to play at whatever school they originally decided on.  

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

At some point, you also need to look at the school the kids are coming from.  The Stars and offer lists are indicators of ability, talent, and projectibility.  Typically the higher the rating the more exposure they got at camps etc on top of which schools offered.  The kid went to Georgia who can go out and get a kid as good or better than him every single year and not bat an eye.  The kid had a tough road to battle just to get on the field!  What I am more impressed with is the fact that in 3 years the kid graduated (while not getting to play the sport that he has been the best at, on whatever team he played on his entire life).  I have no doubt he will come in and be a guy for us.   

He is the perfect example of why the portal can be beneficial to G5 schools.  Get a kid who would never consider UNT out of HS, who has the talent to help you win games after they don't get to play at whatever school they originally decided on.  

Not to mention Tennessee, Houston, and Virginia thought highly enough of his practice film to offer him out of the portal. 

Also, said this in another thread but most of our portal losses have been guys who couldn’t get off our bench. Trading guys who couldn’t get off your bench for guys who couldn’t get off ranked teams’ benches seems like a good trade off.

Simpson, Shorter, Loronzo Thompson, Bryson Jackson, Detraveon Brown, Caleb Johnson, and Bush are all either proven or guys who were legit P5 recruits and we don’t have any evidence that they can’t get it done at the G5 level. We don’t need them all to be all-conference guys, just need 4 or 5 of them to be reliable playmakers and we’ll be tough.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Well he got very unlucky at UGA. Sports hernia and then a terrible car crash which is out of his control.

He should have great impact here 

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Not to mention Tennessee, Houston, and Virginia thought highly enough of his practice film to offer him out of the portal. 

Also, said this in another thread but most of our portal losses have been guys who couldn’t get off our bench. Trading guys who couldn’t get off your bench for guys who couldn’t get off ranked teams’ benches seems like a good trade off.

Simpson, Shorter, Loronzo Thompson, Bryson Jackson, Detraveon Brown, Caleb Johnson, and Bush are all either proven or guys who were legit P5 recruits and we don’t have any evidence that they can’t get it done at the G5 level. We don’t need them all to be all-conference guys, just need 4 or 5 of them to be reliable playmakers and we’ll be tough.

The offense is going to be nasty, need the defense to resemble 11 guys that have a semi desire to stop the other team from Scoring and I think we can be right back at the top of the conference dependent upon QB play. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

The offense is going to be nasty, need the defense to resemble 11 guys that have a semi desire to stop the other team from Scoring and I think we can be right back at the top of the conference dependent upon QB play. 

For sure. Defensively we kept all of our experience (except Cam Johnson) and have added some solid options through the transfer portal. Bennett should have enough puzzle pieces to make things work, just have to see how quickly he can put it all together.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...