Do we think we will be able to tailgate and go back to normal this 2021 football season?

Coach Andy Mac

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The larger ones, absolutely. They are profit and public perception driven. They would rather continue as is than risk upsetting a segment of their customer base. It isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it is what it is.

Here in Texas?   
If they were worried about upsetting their customer base, they would likely pander the other way, right?  ...Just open everything all the way up?

I bet a lot of places that decide to keep any mask mandates in-effect are playing it safe and truly attempting keep their employees and customers as safe as possible.  I don't think the social media army is the driver.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Here in Texas?   
If they were worried about upsetting their customer base, they would likely pander the other way, right?  ...Just open everything all the way up?

I bet a lot of places that decide to keep any mask mandates in-effect are playing it safe and truly attempting keep their employees and customers as safe as possible.  I don't think the social media army is the driver.

I appreciate your view of the world. I’m a little more cynical.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

I expect the number of vaccinated to increase as the J&J vaccine rolls out.  Many were waiting on this vaccine, in fact, I have a number of employees that visited their personal physician who advised them to wait on the single dose, more traditional vaccine.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

After next Wednesday...if you want to wear a mask..wear one. But let me decide if I choose to wear one. 

Fear is a powerful force.

Sure.
Just don't get mad when a private business (however big or small) decides to make you wear a mask when you enter their premises.  That's THEIR decision, not yours.

• Upvote 7

What I find somewhat concerning is the statistic of somewhere around 20 to 30% first line health workers who are reticent about taking the vaccine. Not to mention about 30% of military personnel. Regarding the military. Don't they have to have a battery of several vaccines administered when they are about to be shipped overseas? I've never read that they have an option on that. Why are they given an option on the Covid?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Eventually people are going to have to make decisions about the level of protection and isolation they are comfortable with or we will be stuck in pandemic mode in perpetuity and I don’t  think anyone wants that.

I mean... have you even been in America the past 12 months? My faith in the general public is standing on a very very tall ledge right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I mean... have you even been in America the past 12 months? My faith in the general public is standing on a very very tall ledge right now.

I agree with you. If we had to rely on the general public to keep us safe, we’d all be f’d. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Here in Texas?   

In Texas the folks wanting to open up are typically less vocal and less social media savvy. They don’t have large audiences they reach and usually don’t get much news media exposure. The “influencers” are the ones that have to be pandered to because they have the largest microphone.

I would argue that large businesses don’t typically care about your individual health or that one of their employees did or said something stupid caught on cell phone video. What they do care about is your reaction to their handling those issues and if it will cost them money.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

In Texas the folks wanting to open up are typically less vocal and less social media savvy. They don’t have large audiences they reach and usually don’t get much news media exposure. The “influencers” are the ones that have to be pandered to because they have the largest microphone.

I would argue that large businesses don’t typically care about your individual health or that one of their employees did or said something stupid caught on cell phone video. What they do care about is your reaction to their handling those issues and if it will cost them money.

Thinking of a company like WalMart or McDonalds...  their employees aren't paid much, and I don't think they provide very much in terms of medical benefits to their hourly employees.  So a more cost-effective method of keeping them safe (or if thinking cynically, keeping them at work) would be to require them & customers to continue wearing masks.   I would not be surprised to see places like this continue to make their customers wear masks.   But there is definitely going to be a fresh batch of outrage videos with some Karens pissed that WalMart or McDonalds is oppressing their liberties... even though no one has a problem with "no shirt, no shoes, no service", which are oppressive in the exact same way.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thinking of a company like WalMart or McDonalds...  their employees aren't paid much, and I don't think they provide very much in terms of medical benefits to their hourly employees.  So a more cost-effective method of keeping them safe (or if thinking cynically, keeping them at work) would be to require them & customers to continue wearing masks.   I would not be surprised to see places like this continue to make their customers wear masks.   But there is definitely going to be a fresh batch of outrage videos with some Karens pissed that WalMart or McDonalds is oppressing their liberties... even though no one has a problem with "no shirt, no shoes, no service", which are oppressive in the exact same way.

I agree with you 100%

• Upvote 2

Just as a business may decide to require masks or not, customers may chose to go to only masked required or no masks establishments. 

If coronavirus cases continue to drop, then so will mask wearers.

There is still serious debate whether masks are even effective.   With both sides of the argument armed with all kinds of stats to support their position. 

I really don't care about masks, I wear one most time outside the home.   It is not that big of a deal, but I do think it is past time to open up businesses. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

No there is not.  There is not "serious" debate if they are "even effective." 

Wow, that is so wrong.  How can anyone argue that there is no debate?

You can argue that masks are not effective, are effective, or no one knows; but how can you argue there is no debate when you are taking part in one?

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3

52 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Wow, that is so wrong.  How can anyone argue that there is no debate?

You can argue that masks are not effective, are effective, or no one knows; but how can you argue there is no debate when you are taking part in one?

I said there is no serious debate. That is true. You and your pal can debate it all day long. The data is not debating. 

PPE dramatically reduces spread. No serious debate on that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2

But back to the topic at hand - I am sure tailgating will be back to whatever our normal is at UNT. 

Hopefully people keep getting their vaccines, the data is great on it actually reducing spread, hospitalizations post vaccine is 0 (incredible)... 

We need people to just keep following the science and not the facebook posts. We will get there. 

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I said there is no serious debate. That is true. You and your pal can debate it all day long. The data is not debating. 

PPE dramatically reduces spread. No serious debate on that. 

SWB, most including me agree with you.

Put how can you possibly support that there has not been or still not a debate on the effectiveness of wearing masks.  

They are still debating that issue, but I guess the medical and scientific experts that are arguing a settled issue. because you believe so. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Parse all you want, that is an idiotic statement. 

I think he means professional virologists and other credentialled professionals to "debate" on a subject like communicable disease spread...   VS just some dudes chatting on the internet or on a couch somewhere.

When you say, "There is still serious debate whether masks are even effective."  ... the "serious" part seems to indicate that there are differing groups of credible researchers out there.    That is something I have not seen. 

"Serious" research is usually co-signed by several who agree with the findings.  I would love to see a citation from a cadre you can bring up here.   I don't want to see someone's facebook post from a singular quack doctor counted as "serious debate".   

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think he means professional virologists and other credentialled professionals to "debate" on a subject like communicable disease spread...   VS just some dudes chatting on the internet or on a couch somewhere.

When you say, "There is still serious debate whether masks are even effective."  ... the "serious" part seems to indicate that there are differing groups of credible researchers out there.    That is something I have not seen. 

"Serious" research is usually co-signed by several who agree with the findings.  I would love to see a citation from a cadre you can bring up here.   I don't want to see someone's facebook post from a singular quack doctor counted as "serious debate".   

Serious is not any kind of parameter.   It means nothing.   

There are significant numbers of virologists and medical experts on both side of the issue. 

There is still debate on the effectiveness of separation, masks and isolation. 

I don't see this as even debatable.  However, if some chose to think that all is solved, welcome.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Serious is not any kind of parameter.   It means nothing.   

There are significant numbers of virologists and medical experts on both side of the issue. 

There is still debate on the effectiveness of separation, masks and isolation. 

I don't see this as even debatable.  However, if some chose to think that all is solved, welcome.  

My man,  no.    No there's not.     

I had a lot of other stuff typed, but there is a comprehension gap between you and I on terms like "Serious", "Significant", and "Experts" that it does not sound like we're going to agree on.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No there's not. The argument has never been if they work. You will be incredibly hard pressed to find well cited or backed up medical experts or virologists claiming that masks don't work. The 'argument' in the medical community was from like the first week of the virus, when people were arguing whether masks would be bad because they would cause self-contamination, because they would keep the virus in your mask. There is no serious or credible discussion happening in the medical community about if masks work. It's literally just a talking point. On twitter I don't like being confrontational because there are a lot of idiots in twitter, but all y'all here seem like smart people. Please wear a mask. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, denton_days said:

No there's not. The argument has never been if they work. You will be incredibly hard pressed to find well cited or backed up medical experts or virologists claiming that masks don't work. The 'argument' in the medical community was from like the first week of the virus, when people were arguing whether masks would be bad because they would cause self-contamination, because they would keep the virus in your mask. There is no serious or credible discussion happening in the medical community about if masks work. It's literally just a talking point. On twitter I don't like being confrontational because there are a lot of idiots in twitter, but all y'all here seem like smart people. Please wear a mask. 

Masks keep virus from spreading.   Logical and partly true.  I am not referring and in fact have not heard much from the masks will harm you crowd.  

Saying there is no debate is simply not true.  I already stated I think they do work and I will continue to wear a mask outside the home.  

There are many that think that all masks and some other measures did was delay the development of the so-called herd immunity.  That is what now appears to be beating the virus.  It should be just as evident that what is good for the masses, maybe just the opposite for some individuals. 

I am obviously not talking about the over year ago virus response.   No one knew exactly what we were dealing with and the vulnerable had to be protected. 

Anecdotal evidence, where I live, masks requirements were mostly ignored, other than in national chains.  The virus infection rate has remained below the national and Texas averages.  This does not mean anything, other than there a lot of factors that affect infection rates. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine today at Texas Motor Speedway, both times were quick and painless you just have a somewhat sore arm for a day or two. I think more than 70% of people are going to take it when push comes to shove. I know people who were reluctant at first who are now signed up.

Also, really odd how Denton county is choosing who gets the vaccine first. I am 30 and healthy, signed up around the same time my Grandmother who is a diabetic did, and I was 70k spots ahead of her.

GMG, and for the love of God I hope I am in the stands with 20k+ of you this fall watching us ass blast CUSA, this thing lasted a lot longer than I expected.

• Upvote 1