Do we think we will be able to tailgate and go back to normal this 2021 football season?

Coach Andy Mac

I mean I was tailgating about like normal last year, but hoping the environment is back this coming season!

With all of the info I’ve heard recently, we should be at 100% capacity. 
Even the A&M AD (who still owes us money from last year IMO) said they’ll be at 100% unless told not to.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Reading the signs from Texas and Texas A&M AD's, along with Governor Abbott's announcement today in Lubbock, it is looking like we can bank on more normalcy at our sporting events in the near term. 

Bank on it? Maybe not - depending if people stop getting the vaccine and the virus spikes again. Then brakes get put back in motion with national mandates. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Bank on it? Maybe not - depending if people stop getting the vaccine and the virus spikes again. Then brakes get put back in motion with national mandates. 

Why would anyone stop getting the vaccine? To be honest, this no mask mandate doesn’t change that much. Business could still enforce, and really the podunk towns would be the ones with no real restrictions.

Denton County is producing like 25-30K vaccines per week.

I don’t think it’s a sure thing, but it’s certainly looking good that we have a more normal season.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Why would anyone stop getting the vaccine?

1) Nearly a 1/3rd of people are undecided on getting a vaccine. 

2) 30% of people say they will not get the vaccine. 

3) We need >70% for real herd immunity.

We are sitting at a grand total of ~8% of our population being fully vaccinated right now and restrictions are being lifted.

If people take this as a sign of this being over - then we miss out on most of those 1/3rd. Puts us less than 70% out of the gate. Factor in the people that are dead against the vaccine and we can easily spike back up with hospitalizations over 15%. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

3) We need >70% for real herd immunity

I've also read that once we get around 50%, things won't feel totally normal but lots of restrictions will start being lifted.

I have felt pretty optimistic about this unfolding sooner rather than later, but it looks like I'm alone on this hill lol

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I've also read that once we get around 50%, things won't feel totally normal but lots of restrictions will start being lifted.

I have felt pretty optimistic about this unfolding sooner rather than later, but it looks like I'm alone on this hill lol

I'd like to reach that 50% first - not 8%.

I hope the governor mansion tours open next week. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

1) Nearly a 1/3rd of people are undecided on getting a vaccine. 

2) 30% of people say they will not get the vaccine. 

What's even more concerning is that the 1/3rd refusing it are the first t I be offered, meaning those in medical and high risk patients (I work in medical and that is an accurate number). 

So as we reach phase 2/2b and 3 people even more will opt against it. Its going to be a struggle to hit 50%

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

What's even more concerning is that the 1/3rd refusing it are the first t I be offered, meaning those in medical and high risk patients (I work in medical and that is an accurate number). 

So as we reach phase 2/2b and 3 people even more will opt against it. Its going to be a struggle to hit 50%

If the vaccine works like I think it does, look for numbers to go down and some (even if small) amount of trust restored in science.  Maybe these people will see the potential momentum and be more agreeable with vaccines?

Evidence gathered so far by epidemiologists suggests that a person infected with COVID-19 passes the virus on to between two and three others, on average. Here’s what that looks like across seven generations of infection, and how immunity can disrupt the chain.

STOPPING THE SPREAD

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I'd like to reach that 50% first - not 8%.

I hope the governor mansion tours open next week. 

I know you are afraid but take a deep breath and think realistically about this thing. You’ll have the 8% vaccinated folks (plus more each day) and the 10% of Texans who already got the virus with some level of immunity. Places like HEB are still going to require masks regardless of the governor’s order for fear of boycott or upsetting the social media army. Also, every person is free to double mask or simply get their groceries and other goods curbside or delivered. Just because the governor is curtsying to his voters doesn’t mean we are headed back to Memorial Day last year again. Eventually people are going to have to make decisions about the level of protection and isolation they are comfortable with or we will be stuck in pandemic mode in perpetuity and I don’t  think anyone wants that.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I know you are afraid but take a deep breath and think realistically about this thing. You’ll have the 8% vaccinated folks (plus more each day) and the 10% of Texans who already got the virus with some level of immunity. Places like HEB are still going to require masks regardless of the governor’s order for fear of boycott or upsetting the social media army. Also, every person is free to double mask or simply get their groceries and other goods curbside or delivered. Just because the governor is curtsying to his voters doesn’t mean we are headed back to Memorial Day last year again. Eventually people are going to have to make decisions about the level of protection and isolation they are comfortable with or we will be stuck in pandemic mode in perpetuity and I don’t  think anyone wants that.

This is the reason why places of business would continue to require facemasks?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is the reason why places of business would continue to require facemasks?

The larger ones, absolutely. They are profit and public perception driven. They would rather continue as is than risk upsetting a segment of their customer base. It isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it is what it is.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1