🦅 Scrappy can JuJu on the Beat &— a “live” Scrappy?

PlummMeanGreen

https://youtu.be/VqKEIGn-vvo

After watching ESPN 150 “Mascots” is it time to re-introduce a real “live” Scrappy to fabulous Apogee stadium football fans a la the Auburn War Eagles?  Maybe one game per season?  Probably not but it is fun to think about bringing back an old tradition. 
https://youtu.be/bQcreRADYw0

🦅❇️🦅 GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Are you talking a real live eagle ?  

Many years ago, on the site where now there is the “UNT “ sign on I-35, sat the clubhouse to the North Texas Golf Course, later called Eagle Point Golf Course.  

When I was in jr high and high school, I went to billions of dances in said clubhouse.  Between the parking lot and the Interstate, there was a cage, I’m told, used to house a live Eagle.  I don’t recall ever seeing a bird there, but I certainly remember the very large cage.  

I for one, appreciate Plummeangreen’s frequent and sometime wacky posts.  He is a great fan and a good diversion during the off season.  In-season too.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Many years ago, on the site where now there is the “UNT “ sign on I-35, sat the clubhouse to the North Texas Golf Course, later called Eagle Point Golf Course.  

When I was in jr high and high school, I went to billions of dances in said clubhouse.  Between the parking lot and the Interstate, there was a cage, I’m told, used to house a live Eagle.  I don’t recall ever seeing a bird there, but I certainly remember the very large cage.  

I for one, appreciate Plummeangreen’s frequent and sometime wacky posts.  He is a great fan and a good diversion during the off season.  In-season too.  

GO MEAN GREEN

My father had a locker inside the golf locker room and played there every day. He even played 2 games with Odus Mitchell

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

https://youtu.be/VqKEIGn-vvo

After watching ESPN 150 “Mascots” is it time to re-introduce a real “live” Scrappy to fabulous Apogee stadium football fans a la the Auburn War Eagles?  Maybe one game per season?  Probably not but it is fun to think about bringing back an old tradition. 
https://youtu.be/bQcreRADYw0

🦅❇️🦅 GMG!

Our daughter heads up the Honors College at Auburn and I couldn't agree with you more!  It's an awesome thing to watch!  What a way to get the crowd going! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

My father had a locker inside the golf locker room and played there every day. He even played 2 games with Odus Mitchell

Coach Mitchell used to drive around the golf course in his own gas golf cart with "dingle berry" fringe around the top.  I grew up with his grandson, who was and still is an unbelievable golfer.  Great family.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

What type of eagle would we use? Fairly sure a Bald Eagle could not be used.

Is it a falcon that has been used other places? 
🦅 Of course, a real Eagle is not available & is protected by national law.  

The ESPN 150 series segment on “Mascots” has a  video short on Auburn’s “War Eagle” making flight around the circumference of Jordan-Hare Stadium. It will give one major goose bumps, right Eagle71? 🦅

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Is it a falcon that has been used other places? 
🦅 Of course, a real Eagle is not available & is protected by national law.  

The ESPN 150 series segment on “Mascots” has a  video short on Auburn’s “War Eagle” making flight around the circumference of Jordan-Hare Stadium. It will give one major goose bumps, right Eagle71? 🦅

Auburn University uses a golden eagle I believe. My problem with adding a different type of animal is with our identity. We already have people that can't seem to call us University of North Texas. We go through helmet designs constantly, we've gone through more shades of green than you can find at a Home Depot paint department. Maybe it's time we stopped trying to change constantly and come up with something that helps us create an identity that is easy to follow. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Lovely Take 1

19 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Hey greenjoe: 
I’m a baby boomer who grew up on the first SNL shows in the mid 70’s along with Mad Magazine plus the National Inquirer.  Heck! I even liked Streisand back in the 60’s & 70’s—see video below so...what could you expect?😆

But—Still Green After All These Years!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I like the idea of an “eagle” flying around Apogee on game days but I’m opposed to using “eagles” as a nickname.  There are lots of teams, right here in Denton County using Eagles but nation wide, there is only one Mean Green.  We’ve come a long way educating people as to our nickname and it’s origin.  Any addition of another nickname or another mascot will certainly confuse people.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I know we are talking about Scrappy, but what about Eppy, his less-aggressive relative that the student body changed to in the 70s because it was more peaceful?

Eppy and the Albino Squirrel...I'm imagining @FirefightnRick's fire helmet exploding right now...

We are organizing a fundraising hunt of those two “creatures”. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Coach Mitchell used to drive around the golf course in his own gas golf cart with "dingle berry" fringe around the top.  I grew up with his grandson, who was and still is an unbelievable golfer.  Great family.

They had like a 10 dollar wager one day, and Coach Mitchell and his group of old guys lost. My father said they were so mad 🤣 never played my father after that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I like the idea of an “eagle” flying around Apogee on game days but I’m opposed to using “eagles” as a nickname.  There are lots of teams, right here in Denton County using Eagles but nation wide, there is only one Mean Green.  We’ve come a long way educating people as to our nickname and it’s origin.  Any addition of another nickname or another mascot will certainly confuse people.

GO MEAN GREEN

Auburn Tigers....War Eagle

Go Mean Green....Fly Like An Eagle!

Edited by Eagle71
  • Thanks 1