DRC: Bennett ready to tackle challenges at UNT after recovering from physical issues stemming from bike wreck

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You need to check Passwaters’ resume, then check Filani’s/Harrell’sCobbs’ before bringing those guys up.   All 3 spent time in the league.  That is the ultimate goal of most D1-caliber guys.  So the second they meet a recruit, they’re already ahead of Passwaters.

So you’d fire Passwaters today and hire Adrian Awasom in his place? I’m going to take a pass on that and trust Phil Bennett. 

Recruiting is about fostering relationships with recruits, families, and high school coaches. It has jack to do with NFL playing experience. I bet you there isn’t a single 2021 signee (possible even player on our entire roster) that knows Joel Filani even made it to a NFL camp. With your logic, it may be best to get rid of our newly inked quarterback coach and hire this guy with “NFL experience”. 53c4b720c1a32_156178n.jpg

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So you’d fire Passwaters today and hire Adrian Awasom in his place? I’m going to take a pass on that and trust Phil Bennett. 

Recruiting is about fostering relationships with recruits, families, and high school coaches. It has jack to do with NFL playing experience. I bet you there isn’t a single 2021 signee (possible even player on our entire roster) that knows Joel Filani even made it to a NFL camp. With your logic, it may be best to get rid of our newly inked quarterback coach and hire this guy with “NFL experience”. 53c4b720c1a32_156178n.jpg

Didn't realize DD sponsor Thompson.  Nice of him to support a young man that came after his tenure.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That is some extreme hyperbole. I think it is more than fair to question or voice concerns about both Bennett and coach nepotism.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

That is some extreme hyperbole. I think it is more than fair to question or voice concerns about both Bennett and coach nepotism.

Perhaps but for you to equate a cup of coffee “in the league” with recruiting prowess is a bit extreme in my mind.

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Perhaps but for you to equate a cup of coffee “in the league” with recruiting prowess is a bit extreme in my mind.

Oh I don’t think it is the cure for the common cold or anything but I have heard many players mention that they valued their position coach’s NFL experience. I think specifically in reference to Cobbs. 
Filani certainly wasn’t an NFL mainstay but he was drafted - which is more than anyone from NT can say for the last 15 plus years. Harrell can point to a few years learning from Rodgers. And both coached under Mike Leach. And of course we know Cobbs had a solid journeyman career. Definitely all more than an invite to a mini-camp or tryout like many of our guys have had. 
Again, we are all rooting for success here but hiring an inexperienced Dline coach as we switch to a new front deserves some scrutiny.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You’re stretching here, sir.

No one is saying NFL experience is THE qualification.  But when 2 aspiring coaches with the same hearts to teach the sport they love are being compared, as a D1 recruit, you’d likely be drawn to the one who did what you want to eventually do, right?

Awasom isn’t an aspiring coach, so no, I wouldn’t hire him to coach anything. 
Also, DT had a training camp invite.  Cobbs/Harrell/Filani were actually rostered players for multiple years. All 3 with coaching aspirations, not just dudes with NFL experience.

Joseph’s resume is a little more polished than DT’s, so I wouldn’t take DT over him, no.

Be honest, if you were looking to hire a DL coach & were provided recently-fired Coach Mathies’ resume:

Coaching Experience
2017-19 – Florida Atlantic (Assistant Coach/DL/Recruitng Coordinator)
2016 – USF (Assistant Coach/DL/Recruiting Coordinator)
2013-15 – USF (Assistant Coach/DL)
2010-12 – Western Kentucky (Assistant Coach/DL/Recruiting Coordinator)
2007 – Dallas Cowboys (NFL Fellowship Program Intern)
2005-09 – Western Kentucky (Assistant Coach/DL)
2003-04 – Tennessee State (Assistant Coach)
1999-2002 – Midwestern (Texas) State (Assistant Coach)

& Coach Passwaters’ resume:

Coaching History
2020: Hawai’i – Quality Control, Offense
2017-19: New Mexico State – Graduate Assistant
2016: New Mexico Highlands – Tight Ends
2016: Point Loma High School – Offensive Line
2013-15: Onate High School – Offensive Line
2012: Gadsden High School – Assistant Coach

Who would you choose?   It’s a no-brainer, right?   ...and Mathies needed to go!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You’re stretching here, sir.

No one is saying NFL experience is THE qualification.  But when 2 aspiring coaches with the same hearts to teach the sport they love are being compared, as a D1 recruit, you’d likely be drawn to the one who did what you want to eventually do, right?

Awasom isn’t an aspiring coach, so no, I wouldn’t hire him to coach anything. 
Also, DT had a training camp invite.  Cobbs/Harrell/Filani were actually rostered players for multiple years. All 3 with coaching aspirations, not just dudes with NFL experience.

Joseph’s resume is a little more polished than DT’s, so I wouldn’t take DT over him, no.

Be honest, if you were looking to hire a DL coach & were provided recently-fired Coach Mathies’ resume:

Coaching Experience
2017-19 – Florida Atlantic (Assistant Coach/DL/Recruitng Coordinator)
2016 – USF (Assistant Coach/DL/Recruiting Coordinator)
2013-15 – USF (Assistant Coach/DL)
2010-12 – Western Kentucky (Assistant Coach/DL/Recruiting Coordinator)
2007 – Dallas Cowboys (NFL Fellowship Program Intern)
2005-09 – Western Kentucky (Assistant Coach/DL)
2003-04 – Tennessee State (Assistant Coach)
1999-2002 – Midwestern (Texas) State (Assistant Coach)

& Coach Passwaters’ resume:

Coaching History
2020: Hawai’i – Quality Control, Offense
2017-19: New Mexico State – Graduate Assistant
2016: New Mexico Highlands – Tight Ends
2016: Point Loma High School – Offensive Line
2013-15: Onate High School – Offensive Line
2012: Gadsden High School – Assistant Coach

Who would you choose?   It’s a no-brainer, right?   ...and Mathies needed to go!

I absolutely get your point. This guy has a wealth of experience too. 

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1985–1986 BYU (GA)
1987–1994 Snow College(OC/QB)
1995 Pacific (QB)
1996–2000 South Florida(OC/QB)
2001–2002 North Carolina State(PGC/QB)
2003 New York Jets (WR)
2004–2005 Arizona (OC/QB)
2006 Arizona (co-OC/QB)
2007–2008 South Florida (PGC/WR)
2009 South Florida (OC/QB)
2010 North Texas (OC/QB)
2010 North Texas (interim HC)
2011–2015 North Texas (AHC/OC/QB)
2015 North Texas (interim HC)
2016 Utah State(AHC/RB/TE)
2017 Tennessee (QB)
2018–2020 UTEP (OC/QB)

The point I want to get across is that it wasn’t our call. If we wanted PB, this was going to be our DL coach. Now if you’d rather have a lower quality DC to have a higher quality Dline coach, you can make that argument. But if you are excited about PB like I am, then you need to be patient and see how this shakes out. If our defense is great outside of our Dline, you can write a big told you so post and I will happily acknowledge that you were right the entire time but we are not to that point yet.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

Assistant coaches most important function, particularly not coordinators, is recruiting.  

I believe that playing careers have almost nothing to do with their success.  The better known the recruiter, the more likely he may get an initial visit.   However, the recruit still has to be sold based on the program. 

It is about salesmanship.  It is about convincing players that NT is where they should play.  

• Upvote 2

Bennett's philosophy of defense.

Where I differ from a lot of people is, I don’t dwell on size. I’m a speed guy. I go by the philosophy that speed kills. And I want movement. I want guys who can run.”

Well, whilst looking at the updated roster, I noticed this in the overview of Kenneth Dotson (#99 on your program)

High School:
• Rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN, 247Sports, Rivals and 247Sports Composite.
• Ranked the No. 188 defensive end in the nation and the No. 226 recruit in Texas by ESPN.
• Ranked the No. 99 defensive end in the nation and No. 197 recruit in Texas by 247Sports Composite.
• Ranked the No. 131 defensive end in the nation and No. 253 recruit in Texas by 247Sports.
• As a senior, played in only one game and had one solo tackle, three assisted, 1.5 tackles for loss, one sack, and one QB hurry.
• As a junior, had 12 solo tackles, 37 assists, seven tackles for loss, two sacks, one QB hurry and one fumble recovery.
• Recorded at 4.9 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical leap, 340-pound bench press according to HUDL.
 Also competes in 110-meter hurdles, 300-meter hurdles, triple jump and 4x200 relay in high school.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Assistant coaches most important function, particularly not coordinators, is recruiting.  

I believe that playing careers have almost nothing to do with their success.  The better known the recruiter, the more likely he may get an initial visit.   However, the recruit still has to be sold based on the program. 

It is about salesmanship.  It is about convincing players that NT is where they should play.  

Exactly and yet we still hire a guy who has NEVER held a position whether offense or defense that recruits.  Not talking about tweet some kid, actually walked through a coaches office or a kids living room. I'm not blowing air cuz I know someone, (perhaps Oscar Giles though), but there has to be somebody that's held down the position and recruited.  Heck maybe reach out to the successful high schools in the area and take a recommendation.  But likely in order to get Bennett we were required to take kinfolk.  So lets just move on

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1