WKU Game Week

greenminer

This is the final stretch.  We need sweeps, and my gut tells me between WKU, Marshall, and UAB, we will not be able to afford more than 1 split.  We are so damn lucky to get WKU/UAB in Denton.  Javion is finding himself, WKU is on a tear, and Hilltoppers have everyone on board for our matchup (as opposed to last year with no CB).

...if you aren't pumped for this, I don't know what to tell ya!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Will these games even be able to be played given the weather?

I think it would ideal to push the series back a day and play Saturday/Sunday instead. Seems like the women's team flying out Thursday and the WKU men's team coming in Thursday will be bad. It's supposed to snow in Bowling Green Thursday too (of course, they can deal with it). It also gives an extra day to get the power situation under control.

My vote is get the WKU AD to agree to push both series back a day to give more time for the weather to clear and power issues to get resolved.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, BonfireBrian said:

I think it would ideal to push the series back a day and play Saturday/Sunday instead. Seems like the women's team flying out Thursday and the WKU men's team coming in Thursday will be bad. It's supposed to snow in Bowling Green Thursday too (of course, they can deal with it). It also gives an extra day to get the power situation under control.

My vote is get the WKU AD to agree to push both series back a day to give more time for the weather to clear and power issues to get resolved.

If Sat/Sun is possible, it will probably be preferred by everyone involved.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I imagine that Friday would be the earliest that WKU could fly into the area, so I would think Saturday would be the first day that a game would even be possible.  And, the unpredictable power outages could persist for days and cause any number of other logistical nightmares for a team flying into the area and checking into a hotel and trying to get ready to play an important basketball game. 

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Will these games even be able to be played given the weather?

I would hope that they will be able to push it to Saturday/Sunday, but I do not see that happening either. It would suck, but I think the only feasible option based on weather is for them to fly in Saturday and for our women to fly out on Saturday. That would mean a Sunday/Monday game. The temperature in DFW is only supposed to reach a high of roughly 35 degrees on Friday depending on where you are. That's just enough to cause stuff to melt and then freeze again causing a nightmare. I think power will still be stressed on Friday as well. Saturday will be the first good day are my thoughts and then play the games Sunday/Monday. However, that would be a short turn around to  have to play again on Friday/Saturday. Bowling Green's weather could be even worse. This weather undoubtedly threw a monkey wrench in this week.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Venson said:

I would hope that they will be able to push it to Saturday/Sunday, but I do not see that happening either. It would suck, but I think the only feasible option based on weather is for them to fly in Saturday and for our women to fly out on Saturday. That would mean a Sunday/Monday game. The temperature in DFW is only supposed to reach a high of roughly 35 degrees on Friday depending on where you are. That's just enough to cause stuff to melt and then freeze again causing a nightmare. I think power will still be stressed on Friday as well. Saturday will be the first good day are my thoughts and then play the games Sunday/Monday. However, that would be a short turn around to  have to play again on Friday/Saturday. Bowling Green's weather could be even worse. This weather undoubtedly threw a monkey wrench in this week.

Why do you think traveling and playing on the same day can't happen? I've always thought it's pretty common.

This game will probably be pushed back a day, but no matter the situation, this is the biggest series in the Conference USA in a LONG time. 

WKU has this at stake: 1st place overall in CUSA, at-large bid for the tournament that includes two quad 1 wins if they sweep, revenge from last year, and since they have a very easy rest of the way, regular season championship.

UNT has this at stake: 1st place overall in CUSA, 1st place in the west, chance at 2 Quad 2 wins if sweep, beating Western back to back which I don’t think has ever happened, and a regular season championship. 
Now the regular season championship will be by far the hardest thing to do. They will have to be 5-1 at WORST to win because of Western and La Tech having awful schedules to end the year. 
We have to sweep either Western, Marshall, and/or UAB to get the chance to win the crown, UNLESS WKU or LT slip up to either Rice, ODU, FAU, and UTSA. 

We need Hamlet to step up tremendously, and the bench will be the most crucial for this stretch. If we can get back to Hitting 3s and staying strong on defense, we should be on a smooth path. 
Luckily the 2 most difficult series are at the Pit, so we need as many people as possible to PACK THE PIT!!!

LET’S DO THIS! GMG

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BonfireBrian said:

We have a winner. You called it.

Gasaway on WKU: (NCAA Tourney Bubble Watch)

...All of which raises the question of why WKU is appearing so far down this roster of bubble hopefuls. Losses to Charlotte and Louisiana Tech have left Rick Stansbury's group with a NET ranking in the 70s. Running the table the rest of the way will improve that number somewhat, but an equally viable stratagem might be to beat out UAB for the automatic bid.

Edited by greenminer