SMU “a destination on the rise...”?

ChiefTenBeers2015

27 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Our schools are not comparable, and never will be. For the foreseeable future we should not play smu despite the proximity.

The schools are definitely comparable, what are you talking about?

I guess NT should stay away from playing other g5 schools like in AAC and WAC, because NT is a lower level of g5.

NT should not play its closest rival, because they might get beat?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess NT should stay away from playing other g5 schools like in AAC and WAC, because NT is a lower level of g5.

I think what he’s saying is that SMU beating is badly right now and historically doesn’t help our program. We get clobbered, the entire program and fan base falls apart, and then we watch them go on to have a great season and get positive publicity for a G5 in the area. 

I love playing this series, but I also love playing UH, who also just prison-rapes us every time we play them. The AAC teams are just much bigger and faster than us, but then again, so are the CUSA West non-Texan teams, too. I think that SMU gets the main advantages in this series, though. Easy wins, increased exposure locally, and they get a huge boost in attendance when we go down there and bring thousands of fans with us. They bring us a few hundred and kick out ass. Maybe that’s why he thinks the series is bad for us.  But to me, we have to be able to find a way to compete with someone other than Rice, UTSA, and UTEP in this state or we are just forever stuck at the base of the totem pole. And SMU gives us that chance every year.

• Lovely Take 1

With hardly any G5 TV packages that produce any significant TV revenue for either school & the tight athletic budgets in this era, the series makes sense.  (See the last paragraph in this 🙄manifesto, though). 

••• Took a while, but UNT now has top-knotch football facilities, a nice adjacent to those venues athletic dormitory & looking at the last 3 years recruiting rankings by 247 has proven to quality talent that UNT (in deed) has something of its own to sell.  Public vs. Private Texas universities have their respective percs & always have.  

In our history & as far as recruiting goes we’ve never seen our favorite school consistently go head to head with as many P5 schools as we did this last recruiting cycle (& we will still sign a few more before August 1’st). This is a trend I believe will continue.  

The racial diversity of UNT’s 41,000 enrollment school has always (IMO) been a plus if we’ll find a way of magnifying that (among other pluses).  AD Wren Baker & Company actually seem to be doing that. 

••• We just need to focus on the future (just like Bill Snyder & Kansas State did when all their Big 8/Big 12 series with their conference opponents were lopsided as they could be). 
Just win. 

30F42380-232B-4F75-83E9-603A80F5BCA2.jpeg.d04bb19240eb70ab1e4d6eeb75b32e78.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

In what way do you find these institutions comparable?  Academic ranking? Size of student body? Endowment? Wealth and donations of alumni? Graduate programs? Tuition? 

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have been beating out some high level G5 and low level P5 programs for HS recruits.  And we have a 4 star QB coming in from UNC.

I think you know that, which is why I'm kind surprised how myopic your above post seems.

I just think we need to give credit where is due, and Sonny has done a great job in attracting transfers as well as top 100  high school recruits in the metroplex, as well as turning that talent into wins on the field. Littrell, not so much . I keep hearing  about his last two recruiting classes being ranked second in CUSA and hope to see results on the field soon. Not to throw old water on being ranked 2nd in CUSA , but since we are the worst conference in G5 football I don't know if its that big of a deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

In what way do you find these institutions comparable?  Academic ranking? Size of student body? Endowment? Wealth and donations of alumni? Graduate programs? Tuition? 

Well I have attended both, and frankly found the academics very similar.   SMU is a much smaller student body obviously, and has a much larger donation base.  Nether factor accounts for much to me.  

SMU definitely has the prestige factor if that is what you want to base your assumptions on.   However, there are a lot of private universities that have them easily beat on that. 

Again, the big factor in football is conference affiliation.  SMU is a huge step up in G5 conferences.  

22 hours ago, wardly said:

I just think we need to give credit where is due, and Sonny has done a great job in attracting transfers as well as top 100  high school recruits in the metroplex, as well as turning that talent into wins on the field. Littrell, not so much . I keep hearing  about his last two recruiting classes being ranked second in CUSA and hope to see results on the field soon. Not to throw old water on being ranked 2nd in CUSA , but since we are the worst conference in G5 football I don't know if its that big of a deal.

FWIW, 247Sports takes their composite ratings for each recruit, then ranks the classes across all of FBS. It gives the reader some good perspective on where we are outside of CUSA.

Here are the 2020 rankings

Important to note that the ranks are based on cumulative score SUMS.   The 2nd-to-last column is the average rating of each recruit in that class.  Just as important, IMO.

Edited by greenminer

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

FWIW, 247Sports takes their composite ratings for each recruit, then ranks the classes across all of FBS. It gives the reader some good perspective on where we are outside of CUSA.

Here is the 2020 rankings

Important to note that the ranks are based on cumulative score SUMS.   The 2nd-to-last column is the average rating of each recruit in that class.  Just as important, IMO.

Thanks for sharing.

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rudy said:

This thread needs to die like the many hookers who were unfortunate enough to encounter $mut frat boys and Craig James.

Yet here you are keeping it alive.  Let me give it a shot.

Feel The Bern Democrats GIF by Bernie Sanders - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

O Brother🙄Again? 
Having been a UH football (& basketball) fan during its era of a most notable growth & until I transferred from Alvin JUCO to  UNT in 1972; anyway, I, too, see some similarities of our 2 programs except for a few glaring differences that have made a big difference of late.

(1) UH officially began school operations in the 1940’s (compared to UNT which was established in 1890).  Compared to UNT, UH is  still “the new kids on the block, yet they moved up the Texas intercollegiate pecking order very quickly.  Darrell Royal even noticed what the Coogs were up to. Boyhowdy! That 1968 20-20 tie in Austin was a classic.  It got UH in the SWC. 

(2) UH during its 1960’s athletic growth spurt grabbed the bull by the horns & would not let the glories of the SWC keep them from aiming high & (more so) accomplishing high.  
UNT?  Well, we didn’t aim high enough most my life (except with administrative lip service).  Still, we seemed mired in the mud for the advancement of our program while here in DFW we focused on SMU way too much.  Focused as to what they had & what we didn’t have.  ➡️ Can you imagine if the UH of the 1960’s had done that with crosstown Rice U & what Coog athletics might look like today?  

🎼V-A-R-S-I-T-Y🎼🔵🔴SMU—Yes, good academics there but how many with an Einstein IQ are playing college football—anywhere?  Also, how few on the Hilltop actually have being President of Republic National Bank as their goal?  SMU recruiters still make living that “potential” dream count for something in the annual recruiting wars plus—they even had an NCAA national championship going on 100 years ago? 

The ex-SWC’ers still recruit as if they were still in the SWC while we’ve recruited (too many times) as if we were still in the Southland Conference & with a “we po’ but proud” teacher’s college attitude to boot. 

❇️➡️  UNT’s ATHLETIC FUTURE?  Many of us have never seen it brighter, but we still need to leave some of our past in the past—much like SMU has apparently done. 

🦅❇️🦅GMG!

C97F6BFC-F264-4E23-BA84-98ABC7B3D27A.jpeg.162625569ad6558cb99eba5822ee1f25.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:05 AM, southsideguy said:

Why don't we play SMUT in basketball if it is so important for both schools to play each other?

Who said it was important for SMU and NT to play in basketball?

It is actually very simple, SMU does not need NT for basketball attendance and the last thing they want to do is give NT a chance to beat them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 2/22/2021 at 11:18 PM, GrandGreen said:

Who said it was important for SMU and NT to play in basketball?

It is actually very simple, SMU does not need NT for basketball attendance and the last thing they want to do is give NT a chance to beat them.  

Like we did before 10,700 Mean Green fans in the Super Pit back in 197?.  I was there & I remember the boxscore attendance of 10,700 in the DMN the next morning.  

Just win, North Texas, get ranked in football & basketball & watch them line up begging to get on our future schedules.