SMU “a destination on the rise...”?

ChiefTenBeers2015

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Attendance smack from a school with no better attendance but 4 times the student population is strange. 

But I thought everyone in Dallas supported SMU?

If you can't at least admit that pre-Covid your attendance numbers were inflated your trolling yourself. Saw games on TV where the stands were very empty and SMU reportes 25K+. So unless Ford holds 100K the numbers are crap.

• Upvote 1

First of all, SMU alums from yesteryear are never going to get over not being asked to join their brethren Baylor & TCU to the Big 12. (Can you really blame them)? 
Second of all, neither of our programs will fold if they don’t play each other. I’m sure both would probably prefer to play any Big 12 school instead, but that’s easier said than done.

YouTube videos (like the first one below) suggests there actually might be some interest among the players for the game to be played. Heck, many of them from both schools know each other from their DFW HS playing days.   Watch the players from both schools gravitate to each other to shake hands & a short post-game chat.  

At any rate, I think the Mustangs lopsided loss to UNT was indirectly a reason SMU initially went all in for their Portal recruiting mode of operation. The Pony’s  needed a pretty quick infusion of talent or UNT could have very well come to Dallas & embarrassed the Stangs’ (as they did at Apogee) & for a second year in a row, but this time in front of SMU fans. 

Nevertheless, a normal (or the usual)  “Texas HS” recruiting cycle was not going to give SMU that quick fix to  effectively play an early September game at GJ Ford Stadium vs UNT so hence—here come da’ Portal. 
🤔Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I don’t think I am.

SMU MUSTANG BAND AT APOGEE

🦅❇️🦅GMG!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

But I thought everyone in Dallas supported SMU?

If you can't at least admit that pre-Covid your attendance numbers were inflated your trolling yourself. Saw games on TV where the stands were very empty and SMU reportes 25K+. So unless Ford holds 100K the numbers are crap.

We count tickets not butts which inflates the numbers, sometimes wildly, like everyone else. It's a tactic everyone uses. You can come back and debate who does it more or some other detail, but ultimately neither one of us are hosting butt-in-seat sellouts too often.  It's a bit like University of Aleppo and UH giving each other crap over violence surrounding the University. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, DentonStang said:

We count tickets not butts which inflates the numbers, sometimes wildly, like everyone else. It's a tactic everyone uses. You can come back and debate who does it more or some other detail, but ultimately neither one of us are hosting butt-in-seat sellouts too often.  It's a bit like University of Aleppo and UH giving each other crap over violence surrounding the University. 

Baloney

tickets sold are bolstered by some imaginary student tickets numbers

Smu needs NT for attendance numbers, the several hundred of SMU fans that travel an hour to Denton are pathetic.

SMU attendance is basically a function of who  they can schedule that brings away fans

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Baloney

tickets sold are bolstered by some imaginary student tickets numbers

Smu needs NT for attendance numbers, the several hundred of SMU fans that travel an hour to Denton are pathetic.

SMU attendance is basically a function of who  they can schedule that brings away fans

Now, be nice.  There are tens and tens of people who care about SMU football.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Now, be nice.  There are tens and tens of people who care about SMU football.  

That’s being extremely generous...if we didn’t bring thousands of fans down there, they’d never play us. It’s really our own fault we even act like they are a rival when they only care about getting easy wins and a huge attendance bump.

We are the chumps here for acting like this is 1981 and they are an SWC powerhouse. They play us only when it’s convenient and needed. When we aren’t giving them what they need, they’ll buy us out in a heartbeat. But right now, we are their perfect OOC opponent...and I mean PERFECT.

Their recruiting strategy is absolutely paying dividends as shown in the past two seasons by results on the field. Dykes has leveraged the Dallas mantra with the high school coaches and kids as the article alludes to, and is winning on kids in the portal who go away to play out of HS and want to come back closer to home. I know our fanbase can't stand SMU, but  we should give credit where credit is due. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Their recruiting strategy is absolutely paying dividends as shown in the past two seasons by results on the field. Dykes has leveraged the Dallas mantra with the high school coaches and kids as the article alludes to, and is winning on kids in the portal who go away to play out of HS and want to come back closer to home. I know our fanbase can't stand SMU, but  we should give credit where credit is due. 

You give them way too much credit.

They out recruit NT because they are in a better conference.  Not some great recruiting strategy. 

The biggest factor in recruiting is conference affiliation.   SMU has always had that great advantage over NT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 2/15/2021 at 4:12 PM, GrandGreen said:

They out recruit NT because they are in a better conference.  Not some great recruiting strategy. 

The biggest factor in recruiting is conference affiliation.   SMU has always had that great advantage over NT.  

But you also need to give them credit where due. Dykes has stepped up their recruiting and ability to attract transfers. Does not mean they don't still have a big percentage of fans who acts like asses, but as far as recruiting goes they have greatly upped their game.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6

Dykes is a helluva coach and always has been. He has used the portal wisely to get DFW kids back home to get playing time and the opportunity for a degree from a highly regarded school. In the business world, within this region, SMU’s business school carries a lot of cachet and lots of athletes are attracted to the degree. They have that main advantage that few in the G5 can use.

• Upvote 5

On 2/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, GrandGreen said:

They are getting players to transfer  down from P5 conferences to play at SMU, while ours come from Rice and La. Monroe. SMU is doing a great job on the field, regardless of attendance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, wardly said:

They are getting players to transfer  down from P5 conferences to play at SMU, while ours come from Rice and La. Monroe. SMU is doing a great job on the field, regardless of attendance.

We have been beating out some high level G5 and low level P5 programs for HS recruits.  And we have a 4 star QB coming in from UNC.

I think you know that, which is why I'm kind surprised how myopic your above post seems.

• Upvote 1

Sonny was smart in that he realized that the school's relationship with the city was key and has worked to build it, but I don't think it would have worked the same had he not had access to the Portal.  It's allowed him to circumvent the normal recruiting process and find high-end talent that wouldn't have been available to us. 

That being said I don't see why it stops with us - the rest of the AAC has followed suit and UNT is primed as well.  I've said before 'live by the sword die by the sword' and it's only a matter of time, I believe. 

Edited by SMUleopold
  • Upvote 4