Rice Transfer DB Tyrae Thornton Commits

BillySee58

• BillySee58 changed the title to Rice Transfer DB Tyrae Thornton Commits
2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

WOW! Wasn't expecting another Secondary player, PB must on seen something of an additional need. We are now stacked in the secondary especially with the class coming in ?  Expect it to be a strength.

I am not at all surprised.  A lot of the secondary’s failures were blamed on a lack of pass rush, but the truth is we consistently gave big cushions and still got beat a lot.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Well this is a solid addition, this is much better than even a JUCO with a really nice offer sheet. I don't see how anyone could think secondary will be a strength next season though, we've had terrible play at safety for years now. I hope we don't move Gaddie there permanently because we don't have anyone else that's capable. His track speed is better suited for corner. I was REALLY hoping Garnett Burke (who is now at Blinn CC btw) would be the answer there. 

Maybe, just maybe in a 4 man front with McCrae at strongside DE, Dion Novil at the 3 Tech, and the Murphy twins rushing from the weakside we'll have a decent pass rush for the first time since 2017 and that will help. I've been trying to find reasons to be confident we will be a CUSA contender next season and can't do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Well this is a solid addition, this is much better than even a JUCO with a really nice offer sheet. I don't see how anyone could think secondary will be a strength next season though, we've had terrible play at safety for years now. I hope we don't move Gaddie there permanently because we don't have anyone else that's capable. His track speed is better suited for corner. I was REALLY hoping Garnett Burke (who is now at Blinn CC btw) would be the answer there. 

Maybe, just maybe in a 4 man front with McCrae at strongside DE, Dion Novil at the 3 Tech, and the Murphy twins rushing from the weakside we'll have a decent pass rush for the first time since 2017 and that will help. I've been trying to find reasons to be confident we will be a CUSA contender next season and can't do it.

Unless we add a couple transfer safeties, I would expect Gaddie at safety. The only other scholarship safeties on our roster are Keelan Crosby, Alex Morris, and Jordan Nichols, then we have a couple true freshmen joining in the summer. 

Meanwhile at CB we have Stout, who is probably the most sure-fire starter, then a big group of guys who have experience and/or are touted transfers like Tyrae Thornton, Jordan Rucker, John Davis, Quinn Whitlock, and Logan Wilson. 

But Bennett could also choose to re-assess things from where guys were at the end of the season.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Williams I think could be an answer and if so we could have a strong back end. Very disappointed with McCrae this past season. I really thought he would be dominating player. He seemed over powered at times which was surprising. . I hope an off-season and a new scheme proves beneficial. I can see PB having better talent than last year with the twins busting loose, because of increased size, strength and a 4 man front. Optimism!!

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Unless we add a couple transfer safeties, I would expect Gaddie at safety. The only other scholarship safeties on our roster are Keelan Crosby, Alex Morris, and Jordan Nichols, then we have a couple true freshmen joining in the summer. 

Meanwhile at CB we have Stout, who is probably the most sure-fire starter, then a big group of guys who have experience and/or are touted transfers like Tyrae Thornton, Jordan Rucker, John Davis, Quinn Whitlock, and Logan Wilson. 

But Bennett could also choose to re-assess things from where guys were at the end of the season.

I could see Williams or West competing for a starting job for one of the safety spots. I'm more curious of who the nickel is gonna be

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I know, I’ve been guilty of Green koolade binge drinking, but could this Fall’s “D” be one of the big surprises & 180 degree turnarounds of CUSA & the Lone Star State (as in Dave Campbell’s Texas Football sportswriter’s staff)?

38B40A8C-0960-440A-9411-864DD1070870.jpeg.b5ed3a1f1e61608fafcbc5e4b12d47c3.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I know, I’ve been guilty of Green koolade binge drinking, but could this Fall’s “D” be one of the big surprises of CUSA & the Lone Star State as in Dave Campbell’s Texas Football sportswriter’s staff?  

There is literally nowhere for the D to go but up. Also, Bennett is a great D coordinator and we have been loading up on defensive talent all offseason. I can definitely see them surprise quite a few people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am glad he is here, and his highlight tape is pretty impressive, but he was offered by Rice and La-La out of HS with a sub .80 rating.  Seems he may have some work to do to land a starting spot.

Reminds me a lot of Kemon Hall, and we know how good he was for us. I think he'll be a solid starter

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am glad he is here, and his highlight tape is pretty impressive, but he was offered by Rice and La-La out of HS with a sub .80 rating.  Seems he may have some work to do to land a starting spot.

Think we sometimes get caught up too much in the ratings; I know I do. He has shown the skill sets at Rice that make this look like a good move by the good guys.

• Upvote 1