Remembering. 50 years ago. The Richard Gill Memorial Game. February 11, 1971. Fouts Field.

Eagle71

1 hour ago, Eagle71 said:

Richard Gill Scan_20210209 (13).jpg

1. Just idle curiosity. Is 71 the year you graduated, or your number on the team?

2. I finally see where Cedric Hardman was from originally. I knew that he transferred from a small college in Oklahoma, but I never knew where his home town was.

3. Glynn Hachtel (who, along with his twin brother Lynn, was often called "Hatchet" by game announcers...at away games) once described Richard Gill to me with great awe in his voice. He had never seen, or played with, an athlete of his speed and size. And this was coming from a pretty exceptional athlete in his own right. He was a great RB and LB in High School until his senior year when he was asked to switch to QB, because the guy who inherited the job was not getting it done. Glynn had never played QB in his whole life......but his twin brother had when they were in Jr. High. By the end of the year, he was either second team all-district at QB, or honorable mention...I can't remember. He still played LB (most of the team played both ways), where he was at least all-district if not all-region.  He was also an all-conference, or at least honorable mention, LB in the MVC. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Great story.  Gary Ness was one of the nicest men you could ever know.  He worked for my Dad at then NTSU and was over at our house a time or two.  There are some great names on that team with Gill, Hardeman, Shanklin, Ramsey, Gill, Dunlap, Mills, Holloway, etc...

• Upvote 3

@Eagle71

Thanks so much for that great tribute to Richard Gill. 

To go along with @PlummMeanGreen these are my favorite kind of posts. I love hearing the history of North Texas football!

Very few people know the great history and stories associated with our institution.

With that being said, I'm curious to know more about you. You were on the ex-Marines squad. When and where did you serve? And did you play football in the Corps?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

1. Just idle curiosity. Is 71 the year you graduated, or your number on the team?

2. I finally see where Cedric Hardman was from originally. I knew that he transferred from a small college in Oklahoma, but I never knew where his home town was.

3. Glynn Hachtel (who, along with his twin brother Lynn, was often called "Hatchet" by game announcers...at away games) once described Richard Gill to me with great awe in his voice. He had never seen, or played with, an athlete of his speed and size. And this was coming from a pretty exceptional athlete in his own right. He was a great RB and LB in High School until his senior year when he was asked to switch to QB, because the guy who inherited the job was not getting it done. Glynn had never played QB in his whole life......but his twin brother had when they were in Jr. High. By the end of the year, he was either second team all-district at QB, or honorable mention...I can't remember. He still played LB (most of the team played both ways), where he was at least all-district if not all-region.  He was also an all-conference, or at least honorable mention, LB in the MVC. 

71 is the year I graduated.  My only hope was that NT would start a baseball program.  I'm still waiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, greenb.o.g. said:

@Eagle71

Thanks so much for that great tribute to Richard Gill. 

To go along with @PlummMeanGreen these are my favorite kind of posts. I love hearing the history of North Texas football!

Very few people know the great history and stories associated with our institution.

With that being said, I'm curious to know more about you. You were on the ex-Marines squad. When and where did you serve? And did you play football in the Corps?

No sir,  I did not serve.  Draft number was 131, so I missed being called by just a few numbers.  No, there just weren't enough Ex-Marines on campus at that time so I, and several others, was asked to play by the Ex-Marines.  Lots and lots of injuries.  We were pretty thin (in numbers only) by game day.  I graduated in '71 and after my wife finished up her five-year BFA I took a job teaching and coaching under Eddie Joseph in Wharton, Texas.  And if you follow HS football I would just add that Gary "Bear" Joseph, the HC at Katy, was Eddie's son and played at Wharton while I was there.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Great story.  Gary Ness was one of the nicest men you could ever know.  He worked for my Dad at then NTSU and was over at our house a time or two.  There are some great names on that team with Gill, Hardeman, Shanklin, Ramsey, Gill, Dunlap, Mills, Holloway, etc...

Completely agree with you about Coach Ness!  We had a bunch of great coaches at NT at that time.  Chuck Mills was a friend as was Cedric.  I gave Joe Greene more than one ride to class so he wouldn't be late.  Always fun watching him load his 275 lb. frame into my Mustang.  Shoot Joe even threw the shot for my intramural track team.  Oh, he made one throw and won by over 10 feet.  Great memories.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Thanks, Eagle71.  I love these kind of posts.

We have to keep our UNT history alive for the younger fans & alums.  Many of us have stories from our respective eras at UNT to share;  otherwise they go to the grave with us. 
🦅❇️🦅GMG!

I totally agree. Love hearing about the rich history that UNT holds

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 2/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, Marty said:

What a great post! I've followed NT since 1974 and have never heard that story.

Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed it.  It was a great time to be a student at NTSU.  Lots happening on campus and, of course, some of the greatest teams to ever play for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1