DRC: Bennett to make $350,000 per year

Brett Vito

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So Passwaters will make the same as Cobbs and other assistants with coaching experience?

He had better work out well or Wren, Seth and PB need to be shown the door with no severance. This hire has the potential to put a stain on the program. Sorry, but if you look at footballscoop.com there are highly experienced coaches getting hired daily. I hope I eat my words and Passwaters kicks ass, but this nepotism for, at least on paper, an unqualified hire bother me as much as the record.

Hopefully Coach Passwaters is that guy.  Hell, Ive had some players come to me and say they want images of them during games.  All I would say to them was do something and I will find them and get their shots, guess what, it definitely motivated them.r Now apply that logic to a high energy guy who knows how to motivate and teach some of the best recruits in CUSA for the past 3 years.  I cannot wait to see what these new coaches will do to get the best out of our players.

• Upvote 6

Agreed on many of the points regarding the Passwaters hire and quite frankly we could have done better..but my question is how do we gauge his success?

Our best player plays DL, along with 2 budding potential stars at DE and also one of our highest rated recruits ever in McCrae who I still think has a lot of potential.  We are also switching to a much more DL friendly alignment with 4 lineman so I feel like the DL is already set up for success, or at the very least improvement.  The first person I will want to give credit to for improved DL play is Bennett because we are switching to his system, using his play calls, and his coaching.

How will we be able to differentiate whether we should be giving credit or blame to Bennett or Passwaters?

4 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

Agreed on many of the points regarding the Passwaters hire and quite frankly we could have done better..but my question is how do we gauge his success?

Our best player plays DL, along with 2 budding potential stars at DE and also one of our highest rated recruits ever in McCrae who I still think has a lot of potential.  We are also switching to a much more DL friendly alignment with 4 lineman so I feel like the DL is already set up for success, or at the very least improvement.  The first person I will want to give credit to for improved DL play is Bennett because we are switching to his system, using his play calls, and his coaching.

How will we be able to differentiate whether we should be giving credit or blame to Bennett or Passwaters?

If we indeed move to a 4-man front, and Bennett's defense shows improvement in the secondary (his position to coach) and LBs, but a failure to apply pressure to opposing QBs, or keep opposing RBs from consistently getting to the 2nd level, then DL play will be a glaring issue... which would reflect on Passwaters.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

At the end of the day, what happens on the field is all that matters. I'll hold judgment until we see what the D-Line looks like next year.

You guys act like you've never worked a personal relationship to help you get a job you might or might not be the best candidate for. That's just kind of the way the world works. Honestly, it doesn't even bother me. Relationships are important. He'll have his shot to prove himself, just like any of us would.

At the end of the day, one thing that's always stood out to me with coaches is that they're always going to hire who they know and trust. That's just kind of how the business operates. They get paid the big bucks to win. They know that. If they don't, they hit the road.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I would probably have hired this lady over old nepotism Passwaters. 

Good feel for the game.
Not rattled under pressure.
Plays with chip on her shoulder.

Highlight tape shows quick feet, fearless pursuit, takes good angles, excellent tackle form, finishes the play.

I'm afraid we're not landing this one.  She's likely headed to a top 25 school.

• Upvote 3

You can't tell me that there weren't 10 more qualified coaches out there than Passwaters....his only qualification is who he's marrying. I get that coaching hires are made through relationships....but this is ridiculous. Ask yourself this: Would any program in the nation hire this guy as their DL coach? Only one.

As for making the same money as Cobbs....that's a travesty. All PC has done is coached one of THE highlights of our team. The running back position has overcome all the excuses Littrell gets: injuries, COVID, schedule, etc. And there's Patrick Cobbs keeping his position group together and continuously producing. One goes down, next man up. It's without a doubt the best position group on this team.

Patrick Cobbs needs a raise. 

This coaching hire REEKS and Patrick Cobbs deserves better.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

You could have done better

Time will tell. Some people are better Coordinators than HC's

You guys ended up with a Great Hire in Dykes. If most pony fans are honest he has turned out much better than you expected. He has added some good assistants. Will probably be the last offseason his staff is not picked off. Another good year and Dykes will have to decide if he stays or takes another shot at a P5. Think Tech might make a hard push for him.

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Time will tell. Some people are better Coordinators than HC's

You guys ended up with a Great Hire in Dykes. If most pony fans are honest he has turned out much better than you expected. He has added some good assistants. Will probably be the last offseason his staff is not picked off. Another good year and Dykes will have to decide if he stays or takes another shot at a P5. Think Tech might make a hard push for him.

Staff has been raided every off-season under Dykes because he makes great hires. We've lost OC, DC and a slew of assistants. I was an early Dykes supporter - I figured he had been successful rebuilding several times and spent a year comping out at TCU learning.  I figured a consistent boring hire to stabilize the program from the wild ups and downs of Jones and Chad Morris and build a base. However I could never have predicted we would get what we have gotten. His transfer strategy and his focus on local recruiting (in a real way not Chad Morris lip service) was part of his interview.  And his hires have been solid except for Garrett Riley that I'm not sold on but we'll see. It's certainly helped the OU to SMU transfer pipeline.   

Transfers are the way now. You can get better talent and can do it quickly. It's better than high school recruiting for a team needing to rebuild. 

• Upvote 1