DRC: Bennett to make $350,000 per year

Brett Vito

So Passwaters will make the same as Cobbs and other assistants with coaching experience?

He had better work out well or Wren, Seth and PB need to be shown the door with no severance. This hire has the potential to put a stain on the program. Sorry, but if you look at footballscoop.com there are highly experienced coaches getting hired daily. I hope I eat my words and Passwaters kicks ass, but this nepotism for, at least on paper, an unqualified hire bother me as much as the record.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 9
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So Passwaters will make the same as Cobbs and other assistants with coaching experience?

He had better work out well or Wren, Seth and PB need to be shown the door with no severance. This hire has the potential to put a stain on the program. Sorry, but if you look at footballscoop.com there are highly experienced coaches getting hired daily. I hope I eat my words and Passwaters kicks ass, but this nepotism for, at least on paper, an unqualified hire bother me as much as the record.

I get your frustration but if you look at college coaching experience, Cobbs was even less experienced when hired than Passwaters is but we overlooked that because we love the guy.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I get your frustration but if you look at college coaching experience, Cobbs was even less experienced when hired than Passwaters is but we overlooked that because we love the guy.

I think this is overlooking Patrick having NFL experience.  Did Passwaters play in the league?

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Although most of the college experience was on the offensive side of the ball, but was hired to coach the DLine. 
Cobbs was an NFL running back, offensive GA, and offensive hs coach. Hired to coach RBs. Also not related to anyone on staff. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

29 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Although most of the college experience was on the offensive side of the ball, but was hired to coach the DLine. 
Cobbs was an NFL running back, offensive GA, and offensive hs coach. Hired to coach RBs. Also not related to anyone on staff. 

I don’t recall Cobbs being a GA. I thought he wasn’t straight from NFL retiree to Ryan as the RB coach.

40 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Patrick had proven he could "do". Passwaters, as far as I have seen, hs done neither

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

And when has that mattered when it comes to coaches being hired? Players love 1) coaches that have proven they can prep them for the NFL, and 2) coaches that have been in the NFL

Please don’t construe this as a slight at PC. I like the guy and think he has done a good job. I am simply saying that if Passwaters name was Andy Brewster or Mason Y’Barbo with the same experience, you guys would look at this completely differently.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Ability to do and ability to teach are two different things.

I agree with this comment and also, oddly enough, with the comments that followed.  Many times, those that are great at "doing" aren't good teachers because being great came naturally and they never really had to think about what they were doing.  They just did it and it turned out great.  For example, I was driving to work the other day listening to the Dan Patrick show and he had Tony Boselli on as a guest.  They were talking about the Super Bowl and the discussion came around to Mahomes.  They both talked about what a great QB he is because of his freakish natural ability.  On the flip side, Boselli talked about how terrible Mahomes' footwork is but that he gets away with it because of his natural ability.  Mahomes, because of this, may have difficulty being a coach that would teach the mechanics, footwork, arm position, etc...  Where he would be effective would be teaching how to read coverages and different defensive schemes and what to look for.

I think of baseball, for instance.  Many of the top managers were not great players.  Johnny Oates was a great manager of the Rangers and Orioles but he was a backup catcher for most of his career.  Not sure if I am being as clear as I think I am on this subject.

Regarding Cobbs, I think he is effective because he relates to the kids, he had great ability, but his hard work and discipline served him well, all things that can be impressed upon young players.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Please don’t construe this as a slight at PC. I like the guy and think he has done a good job. I am simply saying that if Passwaters name was Andy Brewster or Mason Y’Barbo with the same experience, you guys would look at this completely differently.

If they were married to, or about to marry the new DC's daughter I would question. Our D has been a crap show and there are a lot of experienced coaches we could have got for the money. As a Grad assistant or QC coach, maybe, but nothing in his background indicates he is ready for this. Was this one of the "conditions" PB said had to be met for him to come? This sounds like the type of hire that was allowed during the Dodge era.

Again, I hope I am wrong but if it goes wrong this board will blow-up with people questioning how this hire was allowed.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If they were married to, or about to marry the new DC's daughter I would question. Our D has been a crap show and there are a lot of experienced coaches we could have got for the money. As a Grad assistant or QC coach, maybe, but nothing in his background indicates he is ready for this. Was this one of the "conditions" PB said had to be met for him to come? This sounds like the type of hire that was allowed during the Dodge era.

Again, I hope I am wrong but if it goes wrong this board will blow-up with people questioning how this hire was allowed.

Fully agree with this. Until we see the actual results, this board is going to continually question the hire because it simply does not make sense. Add the family connection to it and the hire appears even more outrageous. The optics on this are still horrible. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I get your point and you make it well. I will just say if I have my choice between Bowen/Mathies or Reffett/Yellock and Bennett/Passwaters I’m taking the Bennett combo every time. Whether it was a condition of his hiring or not, you take Phil Bennett for $350k every time you can get him. On paper he wouldn’t even sniff our DC job but whether it was the Passwaters deal or his connection to Seth, we got a steal that is beyond what we would typically be able to snag.

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I get your point and you make it well. I will just say if I have my choice between Bowen/Mathies or Reffett/Yellock and Bennett/Passwaters I’m taking the Bennett combo every time. Whether it was a condition of his hiring or not, you take Phil Bennett for $350k every time you can get him. On paper he wouldn’t even sniff our DC job but whether it was the Passwaters deal or his connection to Seth, we got a steal that is beyond what we would typically be able to snag.

100% committed  (I will no longer use 110% - that doesn't seem to work well) to hoping it all works out and the D line has a great year. I just hope this "leap" of a hire does not come back to burn us. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

you take Phil Bennett for $350k every time you can get him.

When PB was hired he mentioned he would not be in Denton "full time" during the offseason. Maybe this is another reason the salary is a little lower.

PS - I wish we would have taken some of the money we saved and added a hand full of analyst to help out the team. Seems to be a growing trend to add additional help. 

• Eye Roll 2

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

When PB was hired he mentioned he would not be in Denton "full time" during the offseason. Maybe this is another reason the salary is a little lower.

PS - I wish we would have taken some of the money we saved and added a hand full of analyst to help out the team. Seems to be a growing trend to add additional help. 

I like that idea