Mark Cuban - Mavericks no longer playing the National Anthem

Thoughts? I personally think Cuban has been a crap owner who has somehow made the team a place no Superstars want to go.  Have not been a fan of his for years.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-cuban-confirms-mavericks-no-longer-playing-national-anthem-at-home-games

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

This thread will probably end up getting closed, but I’ll throw out my hot sports opinion before the lock.  I’ve said for a few years now that the anthem should be played while the teams are still in the locker room.  Not that it’s an original opinion, but it’s one with which I agree.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

This thread will probably end up getting closed, but I’ll throw out my hot sports opinion before the lock.  I’ve said for a few years now that the anthem should be played while the teams are still in the locker room.  Not that it’s an original opinion, but it’s one with which I agree.

I have no problem with that. But to completely stop playing it is bull crap

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

i think the playing of the anthem before every sporting even is old and antiquated, just like saying the pledge to the usa and texas is every day at school.  the kids just stand there, people in the stadium just stand there, still walking/talking and doing whatever.  it will never be a 100% thing, so i don't see the point in doing it anymore....maybe championship games/bowl games....make it special, not something that is just done because it's always been done.

• Upvote 12
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 7

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Thoughts? I personally think Cuban has been a crap owner who has somehow made the team a place no Superstars want to go.  Have not been a fan of his for years.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-cuban-confirms-mavericks-no-longer-playing-national-anthem-at-home-games

The anthem issue aside (I do not agree with not playing it), Cuban is a great owner. He's willing to spend money, tries to bring the best to Dallas every offseason, and he stands up for his players and team even if he continually gets fined by the league. My only issue is I think we should be done with Carlisle. He has done nothing since 2011 and now it seems that more often than not, our losses come from his horrible match-ups and squad rotation. Cuban seems loyal to a fault with Carlisle, which is a knock on him. 

• Upvote 5

a little more.

The NBA's rulebook requires players to stand during the national anthem, but Silver has declined to enforce that rule, particularly as kneeling during the anthem became a popular way to protest social injustice in recent years. The vast majority of NBA players and many coaches kneeled during the national anthem during the NBA's restart last summer in Orlando, Florida, when the league incorporated messaging supporting the Black Lives Matter movement and other social justice causes in the court design and other ways.

"I recognize that this is a very emotional issue on both sides of the equation in America right now, and I think it calls for real engagement rather than rule enforcement," Silver said during a news conference in December.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

While we're changing this stuff up, can we please get Take Me Out to the Ball Game back for the 7th inning stretch at Rangers games. Been putting up with God Bless America now for almost 20 years.

Wow, that must have been so hard on you to endure.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, THOR said:

i think the playing of the anthem before every sporting even is old and antiquated, just like saying the pledge to the usa and texas is every day at school.  the kids just stand there, people in the stadium just stand there, still walking/talking and doing whatever.  it will never be a 100% thing, so i don't see the point in doing it anymore....maybe championship games/bowl games....make it special, not something that is just done because it's always been done.

This is where I'm at on the issue. I think a good national anthem really adds to the spectacle/pageantry of live sporting events. So playing it every night at NBA, NHL, and MLB games really waters down the affect. If it were up to me I'd cut it back to the playoffs and maybe Saturday night regular season games. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

What is the issue with playing the National Anthem at sporting events?  Someone help me.  I'm a patriotic person.  Uncles who served served our country in WWII, I myself a Viet Nam Veteran.  What's wrong with a patriotic country?  What am I missing here?

Absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

What is the issue with playing the National Anthem at sporting events?  Someone help me.  I'm a patriotic person.  Uncles who served served our country in WWII, I myself a Viet Nam Veteran.  What's wrong with a patriotic country?  What am I missing here?

Nothing wrong with it, it's just kinda weird and no one honestly cares. I've been to enough events in my lifetime (NT and otherwise) to know most people are shuffling around, checking their phones, eating, talking, chasing their kids, etc. Most countries only play their anthems during international events. I'm in the boat that would reserve it for special events.

As for the specifics of why Mark Cuban temporarily removed it, who knows.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Nothing wrong with it, it's just kinda weird and no one honestly cares. I've been to enough events in my lifetime (NT and otherwise) to know most people are shuffling around, checking their phones, eating, talking, chasing their kids, etc. Most countries only play their anthems during international events. I'm in the boat that would reserve it for special events.

As for the specifics of why Mark Cuban temporarily removed it, who knows.

I guess enough people actually do care after all

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3