Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 1 -- Does UNT have what it takes to break through for a bowl win?


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Indeed. Just the other day we thought we'd be thin at RB next season, but suddenly we snatched a transfer out of Denton from a lower division. 

 

How wrong we were......

Still bragging about snagging a third string RB to compete for your starting job?  

See, you brag about snagging someone from "a lower division" although both schools are FBS-G5, while we snagged a 4 star from FBS-P5.  Funny how that works out.

 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2021 at 8:39 AM, Wag Tag said:

With Novil back and the twins in the 250lb range I think PB has more to work with. If we can get to the 30pts a game range that would nice.

Absolutely, we will win more games if we hold them to <30ppg. Also with the complimentary play of a solid defense (field position, turnovers, offensive possession opportunities), the offense should inherently improve to a degree. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With PB's 4-2-5 scheme, I think there will be improvement vs. the run with more size in the box. If we can have better gap control and let the LB's do their job of focusing on the run, improvement will happen. More 3rd and long passing downs, allowing PB to be aggressive with the pass rush. Gotta have those 3 and outs to flip the field and win.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 5 -- How will UNT's quarterback battle play out?
8 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Prediction: Ruder comes in and wins the job in fall camp; Aune is starter exiting spring ball, and backup in the fall. Good news is, that both guys have years of playing time ahead of them. 

Prediction:  Aune starts against NWSt., and if he does well (which he probably will), he'll start VS SMU.   His leash will be short if he struggles and Ruder will get a chance to come in and win the job.  If Aune does well VS SMU, he'll be the starter the remainder of the year.   If Ruder comes in & can't win the job, we're likely stuck with the 2-QB rotation we had last year... except that both QBs are the same mold, so it won't add any difficulty for opposing defenses to prepare for like Bean did.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Prediction:  Aune starts against NWSt., and if he does well (which he probably will), he'll start VS SMU.   His leash will be short if he struggles and Ruder will get a chance to come in and win the job.  If Aune does well VS SMU, he'll be the starter the remainder of the year.   If Ruder comes in & can't win the job, we're likely stuck with the 2-QB rotation we had last year... except that both QBs are the same mold, so it won't add any difficulty for opposing defenses to prepare for like Bean did.

I think Ruder is more of a running threat than you are giving him credit for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Aune has some wheels as well.   But let's not confuse Bean's track-star speed with Ruder's & Aune's speed.

...which was really great as long as no one got a hand on him. I've seen Aune take off on some pretty impressive runs in practice....as well as Martin.  Both don't go down easily.  Here is Aune's brief HS summary.....

High School:
• Originally a three-star prospect who signed with TCU
• Threw for 3,411 yards and 33 touchdowns and rushed for 538 yards and nine more touchdowns as a senior at Argyle HS

Martin....

• Has passed for 3,047 yards and 39 touchdowns with four interceptions and rushed for three touchdowns as a senior in 2017

Kuehne

• As a senior, completed 204 of 359 passes for 2,569 yards and 24 touchdowns with seven interceptions; and had 97 rushes for 459 yards and five touchdowns.

Gilmore

• Totaled over 2,000 total yards in his senior year, including 1,000 rushing yards, while also averaging 40.0 points per game

 

Running with the ball doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the current candidates.

 

I like what therealjz said about Martin and Kuehne. Instead of sitting on the sideline and pouting because they were not out there starting, they both went to the coach and basically said "put me in anywhere coach".  

Here is Martin's results in 2020

 Completed 5-6 passes for 49 yards and a touchdown while making five appearances, mostly on special teams

And here is Kuehnes

2020:
• Has a pair of tackles in five appearances this season
• Had a tackle vs. Louisiana Tech on 12/3
• Recorded his first career tackle on special teams in the win vs. Rice on 11/21
• Made his collegiate debut in the season-opening win vs. HBU on 9/5

 

Selfless team players

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

...which was really great as long as no one got a hand on him. I've seen Aune take off on some pretty impressive runs in practice....as well as Martin.  Both don't go down easily.  Here is Aune's brief HS summary.....

High School:
• Originally a three-star prospect who signed with TCU
• Threw for 3,411 yards and 33 touchdowns and rushed for 538 yards and nine more touchdowns as a senior at Argyle HS

Martin....

• Has passed for 3,047 yards and 39 touchdowns with four interceptions and rushed for three touchdowns as a senior in 2017

Kuehne

• As a senior, completed 204 of 359 passes for 2,569 yards and 24 touchdowns with seven interceptions; and had 97 rushes for 459 yards and five touchdowns.

Gilmore

• Totaled over 2,000 total yards in his senior year, including 1,000 rushing yards, while also averaging 40.0 points per game

 

Running with the ball doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the current candidates.

 

I like what therealjz said about Martin and Kuehne. Instead of sitting on the sideline and pouting because they were not out there starting, they both went to the coach and basically said "put me in anywhere coach".  

Here is Martin's results in 2020

 Completed 5-6 passes for 49 yards and a touchdown while making five appearances, mostly on special teams

And here is Kuehnes

2020:
• Has a pair of tackles in five appearances this season
• Had a tackle vs. Louisiana Tech on 12/3
• Recorded his first career tackle on special teams in the win vs. Rice on 11/21
• Made his collegiate debut in the season-opening win vs. HBU on 9/5

 

Selfless team players

Right.  I know Aune can run a little.  I've seen it.   I'm betting Ruder is a lot like him.   It's just a different kind of run than Bean.   
Gilmore seems to be built a lot like Aune & Ruder, so I bet he can run a little if he needs to.  
Martin & Kuehne are not going to be scrambling to pick up yardage.  They'll get run down every time.

None of these guys bring the same kind of running dynamic to the QB position that Bean did.   I'm not lamenting losing Bean or saying he should still be the starter here...   I'm just saying when opposing defenses had to gameplan for UNT QBs, Bean and Aune presented an issue.    Aune & Ruder (or Gilmore/Martin/Kuehne) probably wont, as one might be more skilled than the other, but their skillsets are about the same.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t want to drag this discussion out too long but I would argue Ruder is a legit dual threat. I am not arguing that he is the same player he was in high school or that he was recruited here to be a running QB; however, his recruiting profile makes it clear he was viewed that way. Despite his fairly average passing stats, he was the top prospect in KS and the 15th rated dual threat QB in the nation. 
His senior year rushing stats were: 114 attempts, 746 yards, and 16 TDs on the ground. Plus:

Verified Results

  • FORTY

    4.46 

    SECONDS
Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 4 -- Will UNT's improved recruiting translate to winning seasons?
23 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t want to drag this discussion out too long but I would argue Ruder is a legit dual threat. I am not arguing that he is the same player he was in high school or that he was recruited here to be a running QB; however, his recruiting profile makes it clear he was viewed that way. Despite his fairly average passing stats, he was the top prospect in KS and the 15th rated dual threat QB in the nation. 
His senior year rushing stats were: 114 attempts, 746 yards, and 16 TDs on the ground. Plus:

Verified Results

  • FORTY

    4.46 

    SECONDS

Verified results from what and how was it verified

I just find it very hard to believe NT has a QB who comes close to a legit 4.5 forty.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Verified results from what and how was it verified

I just find it very hard to believe NT has a QB who comes close to a legit 4.5 forty.  

Did you not see Bean?  If that wasn't 4.3-4.4 speed i don't know what is...the few times he had an open seem he was gone, not doubt about it, no one was catching him...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 1 -- Does UNT have what it takes to break through for a bowl win?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.