DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 1 -- Does UNT have what it takes to break through for a bowl win?

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I know I tend to be an eternal optimist, but I have to disagree with a number of points here.

1.  "We aren't even close physically to LT, USM, or UAB."  We hung with LT and USM and the issue wasn't them being bigger or faster.  The issue was a defense with no direction.  We have the athletes to compete and now we have a coordinator that knows what he is doing.  We have no idea how we match up with UAB.

2. Questioning our talent.  The talent on our roster last year was the underclassmen and they are now growing up.  Defensively, we finally have a coordinator with skins on the wall, that has had success turning programs around and has a system that has been successful.

3.  The offensive talent is there with the big loss being Darden.  The RB room is loaded.  The WR group is young but with great talent and potential.  A positive with this group may be that defenses can't target one player, Darden, and the receptions are spread around to multiple targets.  Add in a young, deep TE group and this could cause match up nightmares for defenses.  The best thing is that our OL returns with a year of playing together under their belt.

Lifer, I hope you're right. And you might just be--but I'm completely in the show-it-to-me mode. The lines are really the key to me. If Bennett can get a pass rush, then I can see progress. If the OL can give the QB time to make passes, we can be really good. But that schedule is just brutal--SMU, Liberty, Mizzou, LT, UAB, UTSA, and USM just look much farther along as programs than we are now. 

• Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

55 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Lifer, I hope you're right. And you might just be--but I'm completely in the show-it-to-me mode. The lines are really the key to me. If Bennett can get a pass rush, then I can see progress. If the OL can give the QB time to make passes, we can be really good. But that schedule is just brutal--SMU, Liberty, Mizzou, LT, UAB, UTSA, and USM just look much farther along as programs than we are now. 

Schmoo and Mizzou, yes.  That said, Buechele is finally gone so QB is an unknown for schmoo next year - no matter the accolades that their transfers have coming in.  They’ll have to prove themselves the same way Ruder will have to do here.  Don’t know enough about Liberty other than just their record last year.  No CUSA school is far and away better than us. I’ll dispute that all day.  

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Schmoo and Mizzou, yes.  That said, Buechele is finally gone so QB is an unknown for schmoo next year - no matter the accolades that their transfers have coming in.  They’ll have to prove themselves the same way Ruder will have to do here.  Don’t know enough about Liberty other than just their record last year.  No CUSA school is far and away better than us. I’ll dispute that all day.  

These last two years in CUSA play tell a different story...but I get what you are saying

56 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

This.