DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 1 -- Does UNT have what it takes to break through for a bowl win?

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Did you not see Bean?  If that wasn't 4.3-4.4 speed i don't know what is...the few times he had an open seem he was gone, not doubt about it, no one was catching him...

That does not answer the question about Ruder's speed. 

Yes, I have seen Bean and his forty times have been verified by high school track results.  

Edited by GrandGreen

Ruder was a state champion track star in HS so I would argue his speed was not much behind Bean at one point if at all.  That was also 4 years and a significant leg injury ago so hard to say what we have now, but to say he's not a runner would be wrong.

Hard to compare their results because Ruder did hurdles and Bean did the 100 meter but-

Ruder 110m hurdles- 15.49

Bean 100m- 10.36

They both did the 4x100 and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Bean might have had slightly better teammates but those numbers are more similar.

Ruder 4x100- 43.81

Bean 4x100- 40.91

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Ruder was a state champion track star in HS so I would argue his speed was not much behind Bean at one point if at all.  That was also 4 years and a significant leg injury ago so hard to say what we have now, but to say he's not a runner would be wrong.

Hard to compare their results because Ruder did hurdles and Bean did the 100 meter but-

Ruder 110m hurdles- 15.49

Bean 100m- 10.36

They both did the 4x100 and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Bean might have had slightly better teammates but those numbers are more similar.

Ruder 4x100- 43.81

Bean 4x100- 40.91

Bean's time in the 100m is much better than Ruder's hurdle time. 

Random look at Tx track last year stats.

Top 100m time, 10.24

Top 120m hurdles, 13.5

Ruder is fast for his size and position, but he does not come close to Bean's speed.  

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

On 2/8/2021 at 6:17 PM, southsideguy said:

I say it can only get better, not much room to get worse.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:32 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

They are at the floor, no way to break through it at all.

Hoping the younger guys that played last year and ready!

Man, y'all are really showing your youth! We are North Texas fans and history has not been kind to us.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Bean's time in the 100m is much better than Ruder's hurdle time. 

Random look at Tx track last year stats.

Top 100m time, 10.24

Top 120m hurdles, 13.5

Ruder is fast for his size and position, but he does not come close to Bean's speed.  

I don't think it's fair to compare hurdle times to a sprint time.

• Thanks 2

On 2/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, DentonStang said:

That's what we thought. How wrong we were...

Oh yeah.  It could get worse alright & has on a few occasions. 

For instance, anyone around when Ex Miss.St. HFC Bob Tyler’ had his one year (1981?) in Denton? 
Worse is how DKR & Bear Bryant both recommended Tyler to our UNT Coach’s Selection Committee.  That ranks right up there with Gene Stallings telling us at that meeting in the Super Pit  that North Texas doesn’t ever need to spend money on a new football  stadium.  

👍👍 •••I do feel we are on the eve of a run of several successful above .500 seasons now.  We are overdue but better late than never.

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

3 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Why?

If you did not notice, the comparison was made to other times in the same event.  It should be fairly simple to ascertain that a time that is very high in relation to other athletes is better than one that is not. 

In this case, Bean's high school 100m is very fast compared to other runners.  Using the same standard, Ruder 's time is good, but far from being being a top time like Bean.  

• Confused 1

Thank goodness speed equates to being a superior QB. I look at the blazing times of Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, and Mason Fine or Tom Brady, Justin Herbert, etc... on the pro level and realize how important track speed really is. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 3 -- Will losing Jaelon Darden to the NFL be a killer for UNT?

Bean was fast no doubt about it.  I remember the rice game when he came around the corner and there was no one there to stop him.  

However, there has not been a rush to get him off the portal which says a lot to me.  I wish he would have worked out here but his attitude was not good.  I hope he finds a school that can use his speed and not count so much on his arm.  He tended to stare down Darden too much.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Bean was fast no doubt about it.  I remember the rice game when he came around the corner and there was no one there to stop him.  

However, there has not been a rush to get him off the portal which says a lot to me.  I wish he would have worked out here but his attitude was not good.  I hope he finds a school that can use his speed and not count so much on his arm.  He tended to stare down Darden too much.

I may be wrong but I think the Baylor offense that we run is a half field / one man read . That may be a big reason our QBs lock in on one target. 

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: North Texas offseason questions series No. 1 -- Does UNT have what it takes to break through for a bowl win?
On 3/7/2021 at 6:06 AM, p_phelps said:

It's fair. The 100 meters and 110 meters high hurdles are both sprints. Ruder winning in something over 15 seconds is ungodly slow for a high school track runner. He wouldn't even win his district in TX at that speed. Sure the 100 meters is flat out speed with no hurdles, but 110 meter hurdlers should have great flat out speed if they expect to win. What's not fair is comparing KS track speed to TX track speed. LOL. There is no comparison.

• Upvote 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:31 AM, UNTLifer said:

Thank goodness speed equates to being a superior QB. I look at the blazing times of Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, and Mason Fine or Tom Brady, Justin Herbert, etc... on the pro level and realize how important track speed really is. 

I think this has taken a wrong turn.

All I was saying was that opposing defenses had to prepare for 2 different QB styles due to Bean’s speed.   Now, Aune & Ruder appear to be the same type of QB (generally pocket passers, but not statues... enough speed to make/extend plays).  So if one goes down, and the other comes in, it won’t be a completely different gameplan like Aune/Bean was.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

No. 1 -- Does UNT have what it takes to break through for a bowl win

I personally don’t see it. The schedule is brutal for us. 1-3 in OOC is just damn near a given. We aren’t even close physically to LT, USM, or UAB. UTSA just destroyed us this past season. And we break in a new QB again, most likely, with another new coordinator, one who just doesn’t have much talent to compete with most of the teams on our schedule. I see us with 3-5 wins, with NW State, Rice, and UTEP being the 3 expected wins and maybe stealing one or two from the CUSA East teams. 

• Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I personally don’t see it. The schedule is brutal for us. 1-3 in OOC is just damn near a given. We aren’t even close physically to LT, USM, or UAB. UTSA just destroyed us this past season. And we break in a new QB again, most likely, with another new coordinator, one who just doesn’t have much talent to compete with most of the teams on our schedule. I see us with 3-5 wins, with NW State, Rice, and UTEP being the 3 expected wins and maybe stealing one or two from the CUSA East teams. 

If the defense can improve to "respectable", the offense will be able to score enough to win some more games.

• Upvote 1

Yes! If Ruder wins the starting qb, I believe he will be unstoppable, with his size, speed and accuracy. With Novel back and the twins on the ends we are finally going to have a large d-line.  Coach Bennet will be a huge benefit playing the 4 man front. GMG

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I know I tend to be an eternal optimist, but I have to disagree with a number of points here.

1.  "We aren't even close physically to LT, USM, or UAB."  We hung with LT and USM and the issue wasn't them being bigger or faster.  The issue was a defense with no direction.  We have the athletes to compete and now we have a coordinator that knows what he is doing.  We have no idea how we match up with UAB.

2. Questioning our talent.  The talent on our roster last year was the underclassmen and they are now growing up.  Defensively, we finally have a coordinator with skins on the wall, that has had success turning programs around and has a system that has been successful.

3.  The offensive talent is there with the big loss being Darden.  The RB room is loaded.  The WR group is young but with great talent and potential.  A positive with this group may be that defenses can't target one player, Darden, and the receptions are spread around to multiple targets.  Add in a young, deep TE group and this could cause match up nightmares for defenses.  The best thing is that our OL returns with a year of playing together under their belt.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2