So you're Wren Baker...

TheColonyEagle

Littrell's contract runs through 2023. (I think that's the 2023 season so he has 3 more seasons under his current deal)

What do you do if Littrell goes: 5-7 in 2021 (judging by the schedule, that will be tough) and then he maybe goes 8-4 in 2022? That could happen. Then he has one more year...

What do you do with Littrell’s contract?

That’s a career defining decision for the AD  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

39 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Littrell's contract runs through 2023. (I think that's the 2023 season so he has 3 more seasons under his current deal)

What do you do if Littrell goes: 5-7 in 2021 (judging by the schedule, that will be tough) and then he maybe goes 8-4 in 2022? That could happen. Then he has one more year...

What do you do with Littrell’s contract?

That’s a career defining decision for the AD  

If he goes 5-7 this coming season i dont think he is back for 2022 so its a moot point. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

If he goes 5-7 this coming season i dont think he is back for 2022 so its a moot point. 

possibly.

I think it will take a MIRACLE to have a winning record this upcoming season with that schedule.

This new QB better be Mason Fine + and Phil Bennett better be a miracle worker....

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

possibly.

I think it will take a MIRACLE to have a winning record this upcoming season with that schedule.

This new QB better be Mason Fine + and Phil Bennett better be a miracle worker....

i dont disagree, it will be super tough to have a winning season and i hope we do, but i think anything less the 6 wins and seth is out. Its unfortunally a spot he put himself in. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Not worried about Fall, 2021.  Back in the 2000’s (& 4 bowls in a row), UNT most always started those seasons with 1-2 wins  but would finish with 6 wins minimum. 
➡️ Check out our 2021 schedule—with what will most likely be CUSA’s #1 offense, who out there sees 6 wins as impossible; especially with a  Phil Bennett-coached “D” which one might agree could easily adopt a “take no prisoners” attitude starting with Spring football.  Hell yeah! Take none! 

Hey folks,  It’s CUSA we’re in—not the PAC -12.  I’ll provide the crow & won’t back down from eating it if have to but gut feeling says I won’t.

🦅❇️🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think he is going anywhere until A his contract ends or B he takes a OC job at a P-5 school.  We will fire him like we fired Benson, we won't renew his contract.  He is here until the end.

do you mean Benford? i don't know a Benson we fired. 

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Based on the question, I would extend his contract thru 2024. It is not just about W/L next year, but are you competitive in those loses. I don’t believe Bennett came here for a one and done. 

Then he’d better turn this defense around immediately.   That’s what he was brought in to do.

Im in the camp of another 4/5-win season & SL needs to be gone.   I hope Wren is already making financial contingency plans.  He cannot be surprised.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

I think sometimes you have to look at the play on the field.  I've seen some coaches get through some really tough stretches (in terms of W-Ls), but you could tell by the way the roster competed that there was some great things happening off the field.  ADs stuck with them and were rewarded on the other side.

Short answer: we need to wait and see.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think he is going anywhere until A his contract ends or B he takes a OC job at a P-5 school.  We will fire him like we fired Benson, we won't renew his contract.  He is here until the end.

This is a tough one. If you don't extend you run the risk of assistants, current and potential, bailing or not coming. Could also take a big bite out of recruiting. Look at Marshal the last couple of year. Seems players choose a school more for the coaches than anything else. Players are coming. It also seems the donors with the deep pockets like Seth. I think we need to win 5-6 this next season and see improvement. Maybe you consider extending like Michigan did. Lower the base and incentify. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Not worried about Fall, 2021.  Back in the 2000’s (& 4 bowls in a row), UNT most always started those seasons with 1-2 wins  but would finish with 6 wins minimum. 
➡️ Check out our 2021 schedule—with what will most likely be CUSA’s #1 offense, who out there sees 6 wins as impossible; especially with a  Phil Bennett-coached “D” which one might agree could easily adopt a “take no prisoners” attitude starting with Spring football.  Hell yeah! Take none! 

Hey folks,  It’s CUSA we’re in—not the PAC -12.  I’ll provide the crow & won’t back down from eating it if have to but gut feeling says I won’t.

🦅❇️🦅

Back in the 2000s? Lol 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

We seem to have a few on GMG who apparently have  missed their calling as an NCAA FBS level Athletic Director or Administrator.  In fact, Guv’nuh Abbott should maybe choose the next UNT Regent from, (trumpet fanfare)......🎺🎺🎺GoMeanGreen?

I myself fully admit to being a Monday Morning QB who will mostly stick with buying tickets to Mean Green football games. 🙄

🦅❇️🦅

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

If you look at our current roster, by my estimation we have about 78 scholarship players, of which only about 6 are seniors and 8 are juniors.

If we go 5-7 in 2021, then 8-4 in 2022, chances are our 2023 team will be loaded with 3rd and 4th year starters. We’ll have significant proven experience.

Offensively we are probably looking at starting 8 underclass men and defensively have a bunch of underclassmen building blocks like the Murphy twins, Mccrae, Gaddie, Upton Stout, and a lot of other young talent we haven’t seen as much yet but will over the next couple seasons.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We seem to have a few on GMG who apparently have  missed their calling as an NCAA FBS level Athletic Director or Administrator.  In fact, Guv’nuh Abbott should maybe choose the next UNT Regent from, (trumpet fanfare)......🎺🎺🎺GoMeanGreen?

I myself fully admit to being a Monday Morning QB who will mostly stick with buying tickets to Mean Green football games. 🙄

🦅❇️🦅

@PlummMeanGreenIt's one thing to get upset and frustrated in the heat of the moment but some have a harder time letting it go. It's hard to tell whether some are happier when we do well, or find more joy complaining about things. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

If you look at our current roster, by my estimation we have about 78 scholarship players, of which only about 6 are seniors and 8 are juniors.

If we go 5-7 in 2021, then 8-4 in 2022, chances are our 2023 team will be loaded with 3rd and 4th year starters. We’ll have significant proven experience.

Offensively we are probably looking at starting 8 underclass men and defensively have a bunch of underclassmen building blocks like the Murphy twins, Mccrae, Gaddie, Upton Stout, and a lot of other young talent we haven’t seen as much yet but will over the next couple seasons.

Do you see any incoming cracking the starting line up, besides Ruder. I’m thinking about Williams and Blair?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Do you see any incoming cracking the starting line up, besides Ruder. I’m thinking about Williams and Blair?

I think Caleb Johnson in the slot receiver rotation is almost a given. Harold West at safety is the other one I think has the best combination of being ready and having a solid path to early playing time. 

• Thanks 3

As has already been said, with our last few recruiting classes, I think this year may be more about seeing improvement over actual wins and losses.  If next year is the same ol’ song and dance then it’s time to look for someone else to lead the program, but if we see a better product on the field (regardless of wins and losses) we need to give these last few recruiting classes a chance to win on the field.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1