2021 DT Roderick Brown JR Commits to UNT

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Vito clarified it in his story.
He actually signed with Army in the early signing period, but didn't qualify academically, so he was released from his NLI.

Do Service Academies sign NLI? Asking for a friend.

Not able to access BV's article to get details and maybe it was mentioned, but does this young man really want to be here, or are we what was left?

Edited by El Paso Eagle

39 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not able to access BV's article to get details and maybe it was mentioned, but does this young man really want to be here, or are we what was left?

Seemed excited in the Vito story.  Said his mom is an Alumnus, so she’s very happy!

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

• All About UNT changed the title to 2021 DT Roderick Brown JR Commits to UNT
On 2/5/2021 at 8:07 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Academies do not sign NLi’s like other D1.  My son went to AF for baseball.  All cadets go to school for free, and you are a cadet first.   If you quit playing, get hurt etc, you are still there for free.  They have a “blue chip” process at the D1 academies to help the athletes get admitted, but you still have to have very strong grades and test scores.

• Thanks 3

On 2/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Vito clarified it in his story.
He actually signed with Army in the early signing period, but didn't qualify academically, so he was released from his NLI.

15 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

Academies do not sign NLi’s like other D1.  My son went to AF for baseball.  All cadets go to school for free, and you are a cadet first.   If you quit playing, get hurt etc, you are still there for free.  They have a “blue chip” process at the D1 academies to help the athletes get admitted, but you still have to have very strong grades and test scores.

just curious: Is there a signature or not?

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Upon further digging, it appears whatever he signed on signing day to attend West Point was not a binding document of any kind.  That explains the 5-minute flip.

The Service Academies & Ivy League schools do not participate in the NLI program.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

There is no signature of any kind for academies.  If a kid “commits” to an academy, it’s verbal and anything else you might see is only ceremonial.  Same from schools perspective, but you will find once an academy verbally “offers” a kid, they will stick to it unless they cannot get admitted dues to academics, or a situation arises with moral character.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:08 AM, GrayEagle said:

Maybe it was academics but he would have eventually faced another major hurdle in that he would have to lose 50-60 pounds before he could graduate from the academy.

As long as he taped out according to the Army's height/weight program he would be good.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RBP79 said:

As long as he taped out according to the Army's height/weight program he would be good.

He could play football at that weight but to graduate he would have to be 215-220 maximum.  That's what it is for the naval academy and I believe for the other academies as well.  The service academies don't want overweight officers.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

He could play football at that weight but to graduate he would have to be 215-220 maximum.  That's what it is for the naval academy and I believe for the other academies as well.  The service academies don't want overweight officers.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/army-navy-football-philadelphia-chris-gessell-20181207.html

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, greenminer said:

What's confusing? He either didn't actually sign, or he signed and got a release from the staff.

PM me if you need help embedding tweets.  It is easier than posting screen shots.

I don't think players actually sign loi's at the service academics.

When they enlist that is enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 12:04 PM, GrayEagle said:

As long as he meets the Army's Ht/ Wt  program or can tape out according to Army specifications he would be a go .

In my 37+ years in the Army I've seen officers and enlisted who were very large individuals but taped out because it wasn't all body fat......muscle.

Course they still have to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test for their age group and gender.

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I thought this was going to be bad news.  Whew !

We need a better nickname for this young scholar.  

Rod the bod ?

Brown dynamite ?

Superman ?

GO MEAN GREEN

Nicknames usually happen as a result of a players exploits on the field and/or from teammates.  Maybe something will present itself during fall practice.