Who had worst Defense last year us or UTSA?

TheReal_jayD

By looking at recruiting it is hard to tell which team had the worst defense. Traylor and UTSA has went out and reloaded on D. They have added guys that can immediately contribute, with utilizing both JUCO and Transfers. It is obviously harder for a kid to come straight from HS to contribute. But by looking at the recruiting classes you would think Traylor was the one trying to save his job and repair a defense that was historically bad. Yes I understand that we still have a handful of scholarships left. Just feel like we missed some opportunities by not getting more guys that could immediately help here for spring ball. Here is the comparisons of the two classes currently

I think SMU has perfected the portal for G5. Grab talent you could never get straight out of HS. UTSA is doing extremely well at it this year. By looking at our recruiting class, then looking at UTSA recruiting class. You would think they had the worse defense in the country.

UTSA

#4 JUCO DE

OU DE transfer

#7 JUCO LB

#7 JUCO Safety

#9 JUCO CB OSU bounceback

#9 JUCO DE

Kansas LB Transfer

Tulane DT Transfer

Kansas State DE Transfer

Texas A and M CB Transfer

UNT

#10 JUCO DT

thats all folks GIF

• Upvote 3

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

By looking at recruiting it is hard to tell which team had the worst defense. Traylor and UTSA has went out and reloaded on D. They have added guys that can immediately contribute, with utilizing both JUCO and Transfers. It is obviously harder for a kid to come straight from HS to contribute. But by looking at the recruiting classes you would think Traylor was the one trying to save his job and repair a defense that was historically bad. Yes I understand that we still have a handful of scholarships left. Just feel like we missed some opportunities by not getting more guys that could immediately help here for spring ball. Here is the comparisons of the two classes currently

I think SMU has perfected the portal for G5. Grab talent you could never get straight out of HS. UTSA is doing extremely well at it this year. By looking at our recruiting class, then looking at UTSA recruiting class. You would think they had the worse defense in the country.

UTSA

#4 JUCO DE

OU DE transfer

#7 JUCO LB

#7 JUCO Safety

#9 JUCO CB OSU bounceback

#9 JUCO DE

Kansas LB Transfer

Tulane DT Transfer

Kansas State DE Transfer

Texas A and M CB Transfer

UNT

#10 JUCO DT

thats all folks GIF

Defense wins championships. This might turn out to be they hire they thought Wilson was going to be. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Wilson left talent. And Traylor can coach them up. Then only positive is I dont know how long UTSA can afford to keep him.

Agree. As much as I dislike UTSA,  San Antonio might be an interesting place if they were actually winning. Still think they have too many fans of A&M and Texas to really support UTSA

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe you can carry-over from a previous year's allotment of 25 & 'oversign' as long as you stay under the 85 (this season, 110) total.

I may be wrong but I believe you have it reverse. You can over sign and use some of the next years 25 ( Blueshirt) But cant use schollys from year before. Why it takes so long for schools in scholarship hell to work way out.

• Upvote 1

image.png.71fcf63cb2c69d6a7a3440ee8514add2.png

UTSA did ok with their D last year vs Littrell's top 10 yardage offense or whatever it is...

And now UTSA is going even harder.

UTSA's first year HC heading into his second year is now killing Littrell off the field too. Littrell has the #2 class! That would be great if UTSA didn't have the #1 class. I guess we'll see what it looks like after everything is done but Littrell has had a several year head start with all these "top recruiting classes" with no translation to the W/L column.

This is gonna be a long season...if our talent is as good as it supposedly is, I can't wait to get a coach in here to coach them up.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

10 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

image.png.71fcf63cb2c69d6a7a3440ee8514add2.png

UTSA did ok with their D last year vs Littrell's top 10 yardage offense or whatever it is...

And now UTSA is going even harder.

UTSA's first year HC heading into his second year is now killing Littrell off the field too. Littrell has the #2 class! That would be great if UTSA didn't have the #1 class. I guess we'll see what it looks like after everything is done but Littrell has had a several year head start with all these "top recruiting classes" with no translation to the W/L column.

This is gonna be a long season...if our talent is as good as it supposedly is, I can't wait to get a coach in here to coach them up.

Quantity over quality.  I prefer the average rating per player over total points for a class.  Let's see where we stand after we fill up our class.  The other thing to notice is how these classes translate 3, 4 or 5 years down the road. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If you look at our D roster what do we need? If the twins are 250lbs and playing DE, I would argue that our glaring hole is another tackle. We have a lot in this class. Our biggest D weakness last year was scheme and DE play, that will change this season. GMG

The back end of that defense was, to be kind, not good.  I was most disappointed with how many "quality" DB's Littrell brough in during the last few years who allowed teams to pass in front of, around, and over the top of them. 

And maybe we're hitting the panic button on this UTSA thing too quickly.   Sure, they signed a lot of transfers, but these may all be kids who realized college was too tough for them so they went to San Antonio-CC. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The back end of that defense was, to be kind, not good.  I was most disappointed with how many "quality" DB's Littrell brough in during the last few years who allowed teams to pass in front of, around, and over the top of them. 

And maybe we're hitting the panic button on this UTSA thing too quickly.   Sure, they signed a lot of transfers, but these may all be kids who realized college was too tough for them so they went to San Antonio-CC. 

My opinion on the DE play is when you are getting 0 pressure with No being double team and you can't contain the edge the whole back end will look like crap. I believe we had talent, with one of the guys now going to UCLA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm of the belief that a Mike Leach-protégé will care about defense when we actually see it. Against anyone with a pulse on offense in SL's tenure, we haven't stopped them. And that was with Mason Fine at QB. 

Look, we all want next year to be this glorious turnaround. It would be great, probably meaning SL will get an extension to stay here, hopefully leading us back to being a CUSA West contender. But then we look at the schedule and the defensive issues, as well as uncertainty at the QB position, it would be very wise to prepare yourself for a reality that this is his last year here. It took Traylor at UTSA all of one year to zoom right by us, in part because he cares about defense and not just outscoring you. I doubt that we are making up that deficit in one year. Right now, we have Rice, UTEP, and NW State as team we can physically compete with in the trenches. We aren't anywhere near Mizzou, Marshall, SMU, La Tech, UAB, or USM in physical size and talent. FIU is probably ahead of us physically, too.

I don't know if SL has a magic number to stay here. Maybe its as low as 4-5 wins, maybe he needs 6, nobody knows what it would take for us to buy out two remaining years of his contract and the pay someone else to come here. But all I know is that SL will have to do some serious coaching and praying to get us to 6 wins or more, as the schedule is just brutal for where we are now. Brutal...

• Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I'm of the belief that a Mike Leach-protégé will care about defense when we actually see it. Against anyone with a pulse on offense in SL's tenure, we haven't stopped them. And that was with Mason Fine at QB. 

Look, we all want next year to be this glorious turnaround. It would be great, probably meaning SL will get an extension to stay here, hopefully leading us back to being a CUSA West contender. But then we look at the schedule and the defensive issues, as well as uncertainty at the QB position, it would be very wise to prepare yourself for a reality that this is his last year here. It took Traylor at UTSA all of one year to zoom right by us, in part because he cares about defense and not just outscoring you. I doubt that we are making up that deficit in one year. Right now, we have Rice, UTEP, and NW State as team we can physically compete with in the trenches. We aren't anywhere near Mizzou, Marshall, SMU, La Tech, UAB, or USM in physical size and talent. FIU is probably ahead of us physically, too.

I don't know if SL has a magic number to stay here. Maybe its as low as 4-5 wins, maybe he needs 6, nobody knows what it would take for us to buy out two remaining years of his contract and the pay someone else to come here. But all I know is that SL will have to do some serious coaching and praying to get us to 6 wins or more, as the schedule is just brutal for where we are now. Brutal...

4-5 Maybe, if several of the others are not blow-outs

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Signing period extends until Aug. 1 this year. Still a lot of players out there. Many JUCOs playing in the Spring. With all of the transfers expect to see a lot of new players hit the portal after Spring practice or when FCS seasons are over. 

Not to mention we get to wait for late graduates/qualifiers.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Look, we all want next year to be this glorious turnaround. It would be great, probably meaning SL will get an extension to stay here, hopefully leading us back to being a CUSA West contender. But then we look at the schedule and the defensive issues, as well as uncertainty at the QB position, it would be very wise to prepare yourself for a reality that this is his last year here. It took Traylor at UTSA all of one year to zoom right by us, in part because he cares about defense and not just outscoring you. I doubt that we are making up that deficit in one year. Right now, we have Rice, UTEP, and NW State as team we can physically compete with in the trenches. We aren't anywhere near Mizzou, Marshall, SMU, La Tech,

UAB, or USM in physical size and talent. FIU is probably ahead of us physically, too.

That and having an All-American at running back allowing your defense plenty of rest.

14 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Shoot Me GIF by memecandy

I wasn't picking on you @Wag Tag I actually think you may be right. But man.....2 more years of rebuilding? He's been here 5? Other programs with less figure it out quicker. We don't.

In my mind he has 2 more years because that's what he has on his contract. (I think) **edit** I believe he actually has 3 more seasons

If he wants to finish out his contract here then he needs to go.....18-6 the next 2 years, win a bowl and play in the conf championship. If he wants an extension that's a minimum. If he goes 8-4 this year and wants an extension? Sure....3 years at $750K per, take it or leave it. If it's not good enough, then good luck at your next stop, we'll hire someone else. If he wants more....then in 2022 get us ranked. That's the bar for another big extension. No more being worried about "if we wait the price will go up." Wren should have a number in mind. Even if Littrell does get us ranked and we get all worried we're going to lose him....put the number out to him and say this is it. If that's not good enough, thanks Seth, good luck at your next stop....we will pay more for a HC we just won't pay more for you again. I hope we've learned our lesson. Think about what a good HC would be walking into here.

Last years team, in his 5th year, was one of the worst I've ever seen here. Definitely on the Defensive side. 43 points a game! I've been here since 1997 and I've seen some bad football. Our defense in Littrell's 5th year was Dodge era bad. The offense wasn't all that great either. You can scoff at that all you want but it was that bad last year. And the infrastructure and money that is here now is waaaay better than what we had back then. (don't read this as I'm defending Todd Dodge...I'm definitely not)

Littrell doesn't deserve 2 more years of rebuilding. You don't get paid to rebuild after 5 years. You get paid to win championships. NO EXCUSES. Put up or shut up. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I wasn't picking on you @Wag Tag I actually think you may be right. But man.....2 more years of rebuilding? He's been here 5? Other programs with less figure it out quicker. We don't.

In my mind he has 2 more years because that's what he has on his contract. (I think) **edit** I believe he actually has 3 more seasons

If he wants to finish out his contract here then he needs to go.....18-6 the next 2 years, win a bowl and play in the conf championship. If he wants an extension that's a minimum. If he goes 8-4 this year and wants an extension? Sure....3 years at $750K per, take it or leave it. If it's not good enough, then good luck at your next stop, we'll hire someone else. If he wants more....then in 2022 get us ranked. That's the bar for another big extension. No more being worried about "if we wait the price will go up." Wren should have a number in mind. Even if Littrell does get us ranked and we get all worried we're going to lose him....put the number out to him and say this is it. If that's not good enough, thanks Seth, good luck at your next stop....we will pay more for a HC we just won't pay more for you again. I hope we've learned our lesson. Think about what a good HC would be walking into here.

Last years team, in his 5th year, was one of the worst I've ever seen here. Definitely on the Defensive side. 43 points a game! I've been here since 1997 and I've seen some bad football. Our defense in Littrell's 5th year was Dodge era bad. The offense wasn't all that great either. You can scoff at that all you want but it was that bad last year. And the infrastructure and money that is here now is waaaay better than what we had back then. (don't read this as I'm defending Todd Dodge...I'm definitely not)

Littrell doesn't deserve 2 more years of rebuilding. You don't get paid to rebuild after 5 years. You get paid to win championships. NO EXCUSES. Put up or shut up. 

A lot of great points. I read where most coaches get 3 years to turn it around which Seth had done. Mason’s Sr year was a disaster wish he would of redshirted and he would be playing next year. I have always thought the future of a program can be based on recruiting. His last 3 years along with Ruder has been outstanding for UNT. I feel with the youth on the team and Bennett hire he will be given 2 seasons to turn it around. If we are in the top 2-3 in class ranked recruiting, then we should be that way in wins and loses in conference. Everything is in place. I hope it works. GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1