Mattress Mack and the Super Bowl

MeanGreen_MBA

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Is he still involved with UNT athletics? 

Not really, but I think Wren is really trying to get him back in the fold.    

If I recall correctly, Wren sent the NT Athletics equipment truck loaded down with supplies to Houston when they flooded real bad a few years ago to contribute to his recovery efforts.    Haven't really seen much between us & him since them though.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

41 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

How do you speak about one of our biggest donors like that?  I don’t get it.  Is there something I am missing?

The donation to for the DDPF was done in a way to say, "hey, you need money and I want to make you look bad for what you did to my friend". 

Speaking of the DDPF, is there a time limit to when UNT could change the name if another donor wanted to pay?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

If I recall, Mac donated $1mil at an NT basketball game.  I was there.  

RV fired Dickey after his “black practice jersey” stunt.

Mac was upset that his pal, Dickey, lost his job. 

Mac threatened that he wanted his money back, or, it be given to the School of Music, or, that there be a practice field named for Dickey.  

You know which was chosen. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

ohboy ohboy do we love to dig up dirt.

Not sure you would call it dirt. MM was pissed and took the opportunity to make the Athletic Depart look bad. Hopefully, while you never want to turn down a donation like that, we are in a place now where if a donor tried that we could tell him to enjoy the music. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I lived in Houston for a number of years.  Mac is a good guy, but everything he does is to promote himself or his business.  He does a lot of great things, housing people during the hurricane Harvey for example, but he makes sure it doesn't go unnoticed.  Doesn't make him a bad guy, just the way he is.

Former Houstonian here, and this couldn't be more true. Everything he does is for publicity for himself, veiled with the notion he is helping out the people of Houston. A lot of the donations he makes are tax write offs for the business and whenever he houses victims from Hurricanes like Harvey to Imelda, you'll see his name in every newspaper and on every news channel for days because a camera follows him everywhere. He's a business man on his hustle and he's smart about it, but he's no Mother Teresa. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Former Houstonian here, and this couldn't be more true. Everything he does is for publicity for himself, veiled with the notion he is helping out the people of Houston. A lot of the donations he makes are tax write offs for the business and whenever he houses victims from Hurricanes like Harvey to Imelda, you'll see his name in every newspaper and on every news channel for days because a camera follows him everywhere. He's a business man on his hustle and he's smart about it, but he's no Mother Teresa. 

I certainly don’t know of any company doing CSR just to be magnanimous. Charity always comes with branding and PR for the company. Can’t blame him. At least he gives. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

In general, this may be and is, but we will not know it, one way or another will benefit any company to a greater or lesser extent. But there is nothing wrong with this, and the company has its own profit, and people have profit 🙂 Anyway, he's doing great!

Edited by AmyTurner
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 4
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, greenjoe said:

If I recall, Mac donated $1mil at an NT basketball game.  I was there.  

RV fired Dickey after his “black practice jersey” stunt.

Mac was upset that his pal, Dickey, lost his job. 

Mac threatened that he wanted his money back, or, it be given to the School of Music, or, that there be a practice field named for Dickey.  

You know which was chosen. 

I don’t remember if it was a bowl game or some other pivotal game, but I recall Dickey wearing a Gallery Furniture cap instead of the typical white North Texas cap.  
Disagree No Way GIF by Bernie Sanders
Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but I believe Dickey was told he was being let go prior to black jersey game but given the opportunity to still coach the game.  I thought that was the whole reason why he pulled the black jersey stunt. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=2654445

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
Updated with ESPN article with the coaching terms after Dickey’s firing.
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I certainly don’t know of any company doing CSR just to be magnanimous. Charity always comes with branding and PR for the company. Can’t blame him. At least he gives. 

There's levels to it though. Not every company does it with the expectation that it will be shown in the morning newspapers and on the 5 o'clock news. Literally all you have to do is Google "Mattress Mack" and news pops up constantly for him. The latest being his 3 and a half million dollar bet on the Bucs to win the Super Bowl. How does that benefit Houston at all? Like I said, he's a business man and smart about his hustle, but there is always something in it for Mattress Mack. 

• Upvote 1

$3.46 million seems like an odd amount to me.  I wonder how that number came up ?  Also, Is gambling permitted in Colorado ?  The article says he placed the bet at the Colorado Springs Airport on the Draftkings app.  If he wins, does he have to claim the winnings in Colorado and pay Colorado state income tax there  as well as to the IRS ?  

Some business people would want to keep their gambling confidential.  How will his winning, or worse, losing, be good for his public image ?

22 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

$3.46 million seems like an odd amount to me.  I wonder how that number came up ?  Also, Is gambling permitted in Colorado ?  The article says he placed the bet at the Colorado Springs Airport on the Draftkings app.  If he wins, does he have to claim the winnings in Colorado and pay Colorado state income tax there  as well as to the IRS ?  

Some business people would want to keep their gambling confidential.  How will his winning, or worse, losing, be good for his public image ?

It initially started with him betting on the Astros to win the World Series and donating the proceeds to local Houston charities, win or lose. Noble enough. Then it turned into bets for other local teams which he would do the same thing, Texans, Rockets, etc. Now, he's just betting just to bet and the press eats it up because he is a personality. He can do no wrong in their eyes because "he's done so much for the city."

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

This must really suck then for those that receive his help. Imagine receiving help from somebody that gets publicity out of it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Missing the point but you think what you want, guy

What is the point?  Is there something wrong with getting publicity for his actions?  He is a small business man, not a public company that has cash to burn. This publicity allow him to grow his brand, make more money, provide more jobs, and help more people...and garner more attention.....repeat cycle....

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

What is the point?  Is there something wrong with getting publicity for his actions?  He is a small business man, not a public company that has cash to burn. This publicity allow him to grow his brand, make more money, provide more jobs, and help more people...and garner more attention.....repeat cycle....

The point is you want him to win and build us a baseball stadium. I'm saying that's not going to happen unless there is something in it for him. He barely does anything for us as it is. There is already a strenuous relationship there and something like that doesn't garner enough publicity for him to entertain the idea. 

9 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

He gave a lot of money that went to the stadium.

Really? I wasn't aware.  I thought he gave $1 million with the stipulation we name the practice fields after Dickey or he was diverting the funds to the College of Music.  What did he give that went to the stadium?

• Upvote 3