DRC: Nacogdoches safety Dillion Williams lands at UNT after whirlwind end to recruiting process

Brett Vito

According to Vito’s article we have the third ranked CUSA recruiting class...but we have the second highest average recruit rating (behind La Tech who is ranked like 6th in the overall rankings).  

Apparently, signing lots of lower ranked recruits gives you a higher overall class ranking (FAU and UTSA).  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

According to Vito’s article we have the third ranked CUSA recruiting class...but we have the second highest average recruit rating (behind La Tech who is ranked like 6th in the overall rankings).  

Apparently, signing lots of lower ranked recruits gives you a higher overall class ranking (FAU and UTSA).  

This has been solid.  Would love to see some DL/LB action by tmrw but we have done a lot to stop our bleeding this off-season and I do feel like we already have good potential in those spots. Hopefully we get good reps finally and go into the season with a tight group. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

UTSA just landed a kid, so they move into first place... GAG

We still have a better average with 5 less recruits. Still impressive that we are top in the conference after the last 2 years.

These great recruiting classes HAVE to start translating into wins. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Yes I definitely don’t like they way they score recruiting classes. More doesn’t equal better. I also tend to pay attention to average rating and we have been around 2nd in the conference for the last three years. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Uncle said:

These great recruiting classes HAVE to start translating into wins. 

They will, just give them some time to develope under the new defense by Phil and the crew.  We already know NT is a top notch scoring offense in CUSA, but the defense was the absolute worst in the conference.  I believe they will start to improve immediately under Phil.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, manny777 said:

They will, just give them some time to develope under the new defense by Phil and the crew.  We already know NT is a top notch scoring offense in CUSA, but the defense was the absolute worst in the conference.  I believe they will start to improve immediately under Phil.

That is exactly the problem. Seth is running out of time. Particularly on the defensive side. And its his own fault, because he put himself into a situation where he has a lot to prove on that side of the ball.

Next season progress on defense has to be perceptible even to those who aren't into squinting, or his seat will become rather hot and he might even be gone completely depending on how bad it is. This is the third season in a row where his recruiting is top 4 in conference, so it better start showing soon, otherwise the narrative that he doesn't know how to translate talent into results will gain a good bit of traction.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

11 hours ago, outoftown said:

That is exactly the problem. Seth is running out of time. Particularly on the defensive side. And its his own fault, because he put himself into a situation where he has a lot to prove on that side of the ball.

Next season progress on defense has to be perceptible even to those who aren't into squinting, or his seat will become rather hot and he might even be gone completely depending on how bad it is. This is the third season in a row where his recruiting is top 4 in conference, so it better start showing soon, otherwise the narrative that he doesn't know how to translate talent into results will gain a good bit of traction.

Seth will be gone only if the power-brokers who give the big bucks want him to be gone. No one else will make that decision, least of all anyone on this forum.  
We give opinions on GMG  & have forever but I’ve never heard anything about this forum ever changing the direction of this athletic program.  
••• Personally, I think with top shelf  venues in the G5 with almost 7 million Metroplex population living an hour (give/take) from Apogee, the (still timeless) Super Pit & the burgeoning Mean Green Village how can anyone not be excited about our school’s future?  Most on GMG are excited from what I read (& I read most everyone’s posts).
Anyhow, I think SL will start a 5 year (minimum) run of success with some Top 25 teams & some bowl wins.  I’d think that’s what he wants, too.

7414836A-807D-4C41-B4C1-3D79EF523409.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We give opinions on GMG  & have forever but I’ve never heard anything about this forum ever changing the direction of this athletic program

Kind of think this forum pushed the demise of Rick V....

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Kind of think this forum pushed the demise of Rick V....

If anyone in the administration reads GMG which I highly doubt they would. I can’t see Smatresk camped out at GMG. 

Nothing wrong with opinions, it’s just the constant badgering with the same old themes by the same posters  that get old. As many on this forum who are admirably  astute about the UNT athletic program the school still hires those whose job it is to hire & fire.  I think that group would mostly like fandom to show up on Game Day to show its approval (or disapproval) of their work.  Just my .02.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

If anyone in the administration reads GMG which I highly doubt they would. I can’t see Smatresk camped out at GMG. 

Nothing wrong with opinions, it’s just the constant badgering with the same old themes by the same posters  that get old. As many on this forum who are admirably  astute about the UNT athletic program the school still hires those whose job it is to hire & fire.  I think that group would mostly like fandom to show up on Game Day to show its approval (or to disapprove) of their work.  Just my .02.

GMG users if given the chance to speak with Seth, Wren, or Smatresk

Sartle Blog — Important conversations at the de Young

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

UTSA just landed a kid, so they move into first place... GAG

We still have a better average with 5 less recruits. Still impressive that we are top in the conference after the last 2 years.

Now, lets see the results on the field!

• Upvote 2