Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Former 4 Star Grad Transfer QB Jace Ruder Commits to North Texas


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@MeanGreenTexan Not saying you were a GH basher, but have you noticed that when GH was here there was constant complaining about how he was not a good coach and the success we (Fine) had was in spite of him. Then when GH takes off it became a case of the issues were because he left. Mason was a very, very good QB, but a lot of his numbers were put up when games were out of reach. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we had until it's gone. We hopefully have a more solid O-line and depth than we did before. Let's hope we put together a good O this year and an "average" D. There no way around the fact our OOC schedule is going to be hard; 1-3 is realistic, 2-2 would be great. We need to take care of business in conference play. 

Hindsight is definitely 20/20, and I was one who chimed in on Harrell's deficiencies (mainly his utter lack of 2nd-half adjustments while with us), but he was able to script a gameplan better than any other OC I've seen here.   Hence, we would jump out to big leads early, and either keep the pedal to the metal VS bad teams (the garbage time stats you reference), or fumble away leads to either win squeakers or lose altogether.   

I'm thinking he had some on-the-job learning to do when it comes to adjustments, and he did that here.  Looking back, he was a good one and I wish he was still here.   At the time, I wasn't mad to see him gone.

The OLine was a trainwreck in 2019 and I'm glad Bloesch is here to address that (he did a great job getting that unit back to respectable in 2020).

I agree 100% on the schedule breakdown.   Hoping the OOC has us battle-tested for conference play.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tar Heel Fan here! I love this move for Jace and for UNT. We always appreciate what Seth did for our offense in ‘14-‘15 and picking up Jace will be a huge compliment to the UNT program. Jace flas

I rather have a four star lb or dl or cb     ok looks like a record number of down votes.  We rank high in offense last year and it was defense that got a killed over and over.  I still

I like that he got to learn a little from Mack Brown too. I never liked the Longhorns much but he recruited my cousin to come play for him at Tulane. He even showed me his Independence Bowl Jersey onc

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't see a comparison between what was stated about Fedora and how Littrell has handled our situation.


...

 

 

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Is it just me, or does the arguments made about Fedora seem almost identical to the arguments made here about Seth?

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't see a comparison between what was stated about Fedora and how Littrell has handled our situation.

Fedora faltered at UNC after Littrell left. Littrell has faltered at UNT since Harrell left.

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Fedora faltered at UNC after Littrell left. Littrell has faltered at UNT since Harrell left.

Thanks, but not what my comment was referencing.  

To clarify, it was stated that Fedora was "old school" in how he handled freshmen which hurt him.  I don't see the same with SL.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@MeanGreenTexan Not saying you were a GH basher, but have you noticed that when GH was here there was constant complaining about how he was not a good coach and the success we (Fine) had was in spite of him. Then when GH takes off it became a case of the issues were because he left. Mason was a very, very good QB, but a lot of his numbers were put up when games were out of reach. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we had until it's gone. We hopefully have a more solid O-line and depth than we did before. Let's hope we put together a good O this year and an "average" D. There no way around the fact our OOC schedule is going to be hard; 1-3 is realistic, 2-2 would be great. We need to take care of business in conference play. 

I was a GH basher and mainly stand by that. Ironically, GH often got us off to good starts and then we lost leads when the O stalled in the second half. It seemed to me GH struggled to overcome the opponent’s defensive adjustments. 
The last two years we have had slow starts and often fallen behind early, sometimes making a comeback (but often not bc the offense wasn’t as good and the D was terrible). Seems Seth doesn’t have them ready but adjusts better. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks, but not what my comment was referencing.  

I'm lost my man.
New Tarheel fan guy decided to let us in on how Fedora couldn't win after Littrell left for whatever reasons.
GreenN'walinsVet made a keen observation about how it seems Littrell is struggling after Harrell left, to which I agreed (it's hard not to when objectively looking at the past 2 seasons' results).
If not this, what are you referencing?

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Fedora faltered at UNC after Littrell left. Littrell has faltered at UNT since Harrell left.

This is exactly what was being inferred.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm lost my man.
New Tarheel fan guy decided to let us in on how Fedora couldn't win after Littrell left for whatever reasons.
GreenN'walinsVet made a keen observation about how it seems Littrell is struggling after Harrell left, to which I agreed (it's hard not to when objectively looking at the past 2 seasons' results).
If not this, what are you referencing?

This is exactly what was being inferred.

 

See my last comment above.  I edited for clarification.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm lost my man.
New Tarheel fan guy decided to let us in on how Fedora couldn't win after Littrell left for whatever reasons.
GreenN'walinsVet made a keen observation about how it seems Littrell is struggling after Harrell left, to which I agreed (it's hard not to when objectively looking at the past 2 seasons' results).
If not this, what are you referencing?

This is exactly what was being inferred.

 

Talking about OC? I believe last season the offense on total stats was top 10. We need a DEFENSE.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

See my last comment above.  I edited for clarification.

OK.  I see.   
However, you're citing his follow-up to GreenN'walinsVet and me.    The one that prompted GreenN'walinsVet's reply and my agreement was prior to that:

1 hour ago, TarHeel said:

Having been on the receiving end of both, you can give me Seth any day. Seth made our 2015 team what it was. That offense was potent. Fedora fell apart  on the offensive side of the ball after Seth left and was fired in 3yrs.

For Seth, and nearly any offensive minded coach, I think he needs consistency at QB. If Ruder can take over the starting job, he'll get that for 4 years and I think Seth will take off in Denton.

I mean, here we are, about to enter season #3 without Harrell and many are criticizing Littrell heavily, and another year like last year... he'll likely be fired.    The overall comparisons are legit.   Whatever details that feed the comps (Fedora only plays old QBs, Littrell can't settle on a starter, etc...) are tertiary.

 

I, like you, am optimistic that Bennett can get the defense back to respectable.   If he can, Littrell's (Bloesch's?) offense will look much better whether it's Aune or Ruder under center, and we'll be back to competing for the West Division crown & hopefully winning bowl games.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

You watch his high school film? His highlights is him hitting kids in chest and them dropping passes lol. I haven’t seen that many drop passes on a highlight tape since my intramural highlight reel

Damn.  Been away from this board for toooo long.  Good stuff here. 😄

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many are talking like it was only Harrell who left.  We were turning over half of our staff every year.  We lost Koonz the same offseason we lost Harrell.  Did UNC experience the same amount of turnover?

Seth will be fine on offense.  It took a couple of seasons to adjust, and I think we’re going to see a more consistent group next season.  An improved defense will take pressure off of those guys, and the experience they got this year with so many underclassmen playing will start to pay off.

 

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

I didn't even read who posted about I'd rather have a four-star recruit other than a quarterback. Oh my freaking God!!! I've been on this board for a very long time. I know there's others who have been on this board longer. For UNT to get a four-star recruit at any position, without having to break NCAA recruiting rules to do it. Is an amazing gift from God himself. I think the fan that posted about I'd rather have a four-star recruit at another position, must have graduated from Alabama in another life. Or the posters just trolling us here at gomeangreen.com

I guess by faith and Seth latrell and the staff his been redeemed a bit. Based on UNT's recent record in football.

Since my Dad's a graduate of Baylor University. I can tell you our defensive coordinator will probably help us out a lot. Even without four star recruits. Of course, there was a time when Baylor University was the dregs of the Southwest conference. So anything's possible. Thank God for UNT's sake is it concerns our football program!!

Or, there's a reason the 4* is in the portal and winds up being a complete bust for NT:
https://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Harvey-13605/

I think we need to temper expectations of Ruder.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Or, there's a reason the 4* is in the portal and winds up being a complete bust for NT:
https://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Harvey-13605/

I think we need to temper expectations of Ruder.

Harvey was like a 6th year senior with a kid and I’m pretty sure was married. Ruder is a sophomore, basically, that got injured and played behind a great QB in San Howell. 
I think expectations should be way higher than usual transfers.

  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Harvey was like a 6th year senior with a kid and I’m pretty sure was married. Ruder is a sophomore, basically, that got injured and played behind a great QB in San Howell. 
I think expectations should be way higher than usual transfers.

You make a great point, let's bring it a little closer to home.

I think Jamario is a little before your time, but this was a guy that was a bona-fide 4* dude, but didn't get them because of his Dyslexia and the big P5 programs backing off of him due to qualification fears.   He happened to land at UNT.  Played and impacted the game IMMEDIATELY and won the National Rushing Title in his Freshman year after Patrick Cobbs went down with injury in game 1.   
You'll routinely see "Freshman Jamario" referenced here on GMG.com.  He was otherworldly.

Unfortunately, he pulled a hamstring in his Sophomore season, and was never really the same guy the next 3 years.

Ruder has had 2 season-ending injuries already.   What if he's not the same guy?   And really, the Tarheel fans had only seen part of a game of him (do you remember how everyone here felt about Kason Martin after his 2nd half in the New Mexico Bowl?)...

I'm just saying, it sounds like most here have already penned Ruder in as a 4-year starter, and that he's "an amazing gift from God [H]imself".    Let's just dial that down a bit.  I actually align more with @Aldo on this one.   If Aune is the floor, then we're going to be OK.   If Ruder (or anyone else) is better than Aune, then great!   Call me jaded, but I've just seen WAY MORE Harveys than I have Trices in my time here.

  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You make a great point, let's bring it a little closer to home.

I think Jamario is a little before your time, but this was a guy that was a bona-fide 4* dude, but didn't get them because of his Dyslexia and the big P5 programs backing off of him due to qualification fears.   He happened to land at UNT.  Played and impacted the game IMMEDIATELY and won the National Rushing Title in his Freshman year after Patrick Cobbs went down with injury in game 1.   
You'll routinely see "Freshman Jamario" referenced here on GMG.com.  He was otherworldly.

Unfortunately, he pulled a hamstring in his Sophomore season, and was never really the same guy the next 3 years.

Ruder has had 2 season-ending injuries already.   What if he's not the same guy?   And really, the Tarheel fans had only seen part of a game of him (do you remember how everyone here felt about Kason Martin after his 2nd half in the New Mexico Bowl?)...

I'm just saying, it sounds like most here have already penned Ruder in as a 4-year starter, and that he's "an amazing gift from God [H]imself".    Let's just dial that down a bit.  I actually align more with @Aldo on this one.   If Aune is the floor, then we're going to be OK.   If Ruder (or anyone else) is better than Aune, then great!   Call me jaded, but I've just seen WAY MORE Harveys than I have Trices in my time here.

I tend to be more in the “Ruder is our savior” camp, but it’s hard to argue with anything in this post.  
 

Boy would I like another season of Freshman Jamario.  Those are some of my best memories of UNT football.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NT93 said:

I tend to be more in the “Ruder is our savior” camp, but it’s hard to argue with anything in this post.  
 

Boy would I like another season of Freshman Jamario.  Those are some of my best memories of UNT football.

In a way you have. Although we certainly didn’t have an individual Jamario performance, last year’s team had more rushing yards that the 2004 team. And an overall better y/a. 
Surprising right?

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/stats
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/2004.html

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

In a way you have. Although we certainly didn’t have an individual Jamario performance, last year’s team had more rushing yards that the 2004 team. And an overall better y/a. 
Surprising right?

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/stats
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/2004.html

Very surprising.

Cool website.  I spent about an hour last night looking up various stats from my younger days.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, really not much to judge the kid on other than he’s had two season ending injuries and a covid year under his belt. Hope he’s a good pickup and makes an impact. At the least a stop gap until Seth can recruit a true impact freshman QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Well, really not much to judge the kid on other than he’s had two season ending injuries and a covid year under his belt. Hope he’s a good pickup and makes an impact. At the least a stop gap until Seth can recruit a true impact freshman QB. 

Potential is all you ever have on any player before they arrive. It's not like he was able to get time and fail, he was injured. Thanks to their recruiting they just brought in a player who will be a early round one NFL draft pick. I would rather this scenario than him having washed out and then coming here. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Harry changed the title to Former 4 Star Grad Transfer QB Jace Ruder Commits to North Texas
  • All About UNT pinned this topic
  • All About UNT unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.